Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 for adding an option to turn off the heater.

I have also found that the AC will be blowing in the front but the rear vents are blowing heat. This makes long drives really uncomfortable for passengers in the back seats. We have a 2yo and have been doing long road trips every few weeks with my wife siting in the back. I have to keep the temperature around 67 to not smother them with heat, but it gets cold in the front. So odd.

Reactions: beachmiles
I loved the "Fan Only" option in my Volt and used it all the time. I wish other EVs would have this, simply for times like this when we dont need heat.

Pretty much every car out there has Vent Only option (either outside air in, or recirculated air) where neither the Heat or AC is "on". I'm surprised a "high tech" vehicle doesn't have this feature.

• Love
In my experience, many cars that have an HVAC system designed around setting a temperature don’t have an easy-to-access vent option (no heat or cooling) – and it’s bloody annoying. You have to manually turn on the fan (auto off), turn off a/c, and cycle the set temp all the way down to “LO”. And then of course reverse all of this the next time you actually want some heating or cooing.

Please Tesla, please be one of the few to give us an easy “Vent Only” or “No Heat/A/C” button that ignores the set temp and just blows in outside air.

(Yes, I will be sending a similar direct message to Tesla as part of my request list.)

In my experience, many cars that have an HVAC system designed around setting a temperature don’t have an easy-to-access vent option (no heat or cooling) – and it’s bloody annoying. You have to manually turn on the fan (auto off), turn off a/c, and cycle the set temp all the way down to “LO”. And then of course reverse all of this the next time you actually want some heating or cooing.

Yes, lack of control is a common problem with newer cars.

Our 2014 Prius V has the same problem as our Tesla (blowing annoying heat when it is unwanted, due to an "auto" set point above a lower morning temperature). It is as much of a PITA to take out of auto as our tesla, even though it has knobs. You've got to turn the whole system off, turn it back on, turn off A/C and crank the temp down to "lo". I never even try taking the Tesla out of auto; just crank down the temp until the heat stops. And on the prius, there is no way that I've found to direct air to the front defroster vents w/o having the car turn the A/C on. In my experience, that's wrong about 2/3s of the time (winter, when i'm trying to de-ice, humid summer when cooling the window gives condensation on the outside). The Tesla does much better for defrosting. But I really miss the control I had in my old 60s-90s cars.

Of all the car companies, one would think Tesla would have better handle on "climate change"!

First, for me, changing the climate settings takes too many button pushes (and eyes off the road). I agree with the others that we should be able to just run the vent and\or easily turn off heating or air conditioning. The ideal could be one button (perhaps even a hard button) that turns on or off both the heater and air conditioner. Preferably, there would be a small red and blue LED indicator on this button that would show whether the heat or air conditioning is actually on and running (without having to tap through the screens).

I’ve tweeted the request to have a separate “heater off” button at Elon several times in the last year with no luck and also submitted the request before. I will submit via email again.

As already noted it’s a funny vestige of ICE cars that we can control AC but not heat even though heat has a far greater impact on efficiency in an EV.

It’s refreshing that there isn’t a pile of people saying this is a stupid request like what seems to happen when this topic comes up periodically in other Tesla forums. For anyone that lives in a place with actual seasons and is focused on optimizing efficiency having a heater on/off button is important.

+1 to this. Previously before the Klamath falls supercharger was open and I was driving in the winter I could only make it to the next charger with the heat off. But it was cold and snowy outside and the windows kept fogging up with the climate control off. I wouldn’t have minded some waste heat from the battery warming up the cabin but I certainly didn’t want to have to blast cold air at me even though I was bundled up to stand the 30 degree temperatures outside/inside.

I don’t know if there’s a humidity sensor in the vehicle but it would also be nice if it could dehumidify automatically to just above the dew point so this could be managed in software.

I don't have my car yet so full disclosure (although so far still looking good for Friday morning delivery) but isn't this issue "solved" by not keeping the climate system on Auto? My Infinit QX60 seems to do something similar. If the setting is Auto, then it will move the temp to the set temp, whether that involves pushing cold air into the cabin or hot air.

This is my question, too- I just got the car. So far I find the auto setting annoying and wasteful, and just keep it on manual. I'm confused if you manually turn off the AC, does the car decide to heat itself when you leave it parked overnight? Or can you trust that leaving it off actually means OFF regardless of the temp?

This is my question, too- I just got the car. So far I find the auto setting annoying and wasteful, and just keep it on manual. I'm confused if you manually turn off the AC, does the car decide to heat itself when you leave it parked overnight? Or can you trust that leaving it off actually means OFF regardless of the temp?
The AC/heater will automatically turn off when you leave the car, unless you enable the "Keep Climate On" option on a one-time basis.

Regarding the climate control UI, something else that bothers me on the Model 3 is that it doesn't seem possible to control the rear seat heaters without turning the climate control on (and then having to manually turn it back off). In our climate, the seat heaters are often enough.