Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I am getting my windshield replaced next week on my API MX. I just want to confirm if AGP 1105964-00-B is the non-ghosting windshield? I am getting a little confused as I read through the posts. If you have that part number please share your ghosting experiences.
I've got my original windshield replaced, which had severe ghosting, with a 1105964-00-B model and all ghosting is completely gone. 100% solution

• Informative
Reactions: CarbonFree
My AP1 X is in for annual service today, and I asked them to check it out (I've mentioned it every time I've been in before, but never had anything done). They said they haven't really heard anything (SLC isn't exactly a huge Tesla market), but they need to use their laser measuring thing to see if it's out of tolerance before they'll do anything anyway. We'll see...

... It just measures the image separation. Not the strength of it which is the real issue.
Correct! When using the image separation test, technicians only notice the second image which is always inside the circle. If they bothered to look for the third image they would notice that it is outside the circle on the "H" windshields. The fact that the third image is visible should be an automatic fail.

Everything that I've read on this forum tells me that the laser pointy thingy is BS. It just measures the image separation. Not the strength of it which is the real issue.
Unfortunately I haven't heard of any windshield fixes for AP1 cars. :(
Well, I got a call back, and my windshield did fail the laser test. So I get a new windshield. It's not the part number mentioned earlier, because that's for AP2 cars, but it is the latest AP1 windshield, and he said they've been having good luck with it. Even if it doesn't fix the ghosting, I had enough rock chips in it at 25k miles, I won't complain either way. Except I got another call, saying they made a mistake cutting the old one out - and cut through the protective tape and into the paint on my A pillar! Uh oh! They're gonna take care of it whatever they need to do (take it to a body shop and re-paint, and re-wrap), but it'll probably be a few extra days. At least I was lucky enough to have a Model X loaner this time.

Reactions: bak_phy and Fiddler
Shows what I know. Sorry to hear about your a-pillar. Hopefully it won't take too long to fix. Please lets us know how the wind shield turned out ASAP. I'm taking mine in for yearly service soon and perhaps I should have them look at replacing the windshield after all.
It took one day extra - they just ended up using touch up paint and buffing it. And honestly, I couldn't tell you where they scratched my paint. He sent a picture, and turns out I thought the glare was the scratch - I didn't see the actual scratch!

Anyhow, I just took my first night drive with the new windshield. While, it's not 100% perfect, it is very very significantly better. It just looks like blooming now, instead of distinct, stacked images. To the point that I was having a hard time and double checking to tell if it was the windshield causing it, or just my normal night vision (blooming of bright lights can be a permanent symptom after you've had LASIK). It's interesting that with the old windshield, the ghosts were stacked vertically, above the real image, and with significant spacing. With this windshield, the rare spots that I could see ghosting (mostly only on neon street signs, when high beams were on), the single ghost is just barely down and to the left. Overall, I'm very satisfied. And just a quick shout-out of how good of service I receive at the SLC service center! They definitely go above and beyond.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 80
I am curious if this is un-intended prism effect caused by curvatures of the inside vs. outside of the windshield. This is used in eyeglasses to correct lazy eye, but sometimes is accidentally put into lenses, which can cause headaches, distortion, etc. I am getting my X soon, and this concerns me.
prism.jpg