Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe you want to pause to think, that this is not an easy problem to solve, primarily because of the huge size of the windshield and like nothing else on the market right now. They pushed the boundaries - thanks to Mr. Hubris - and now facing issues that are not easy to solve and may never be solved.

It's definitely fixed, just make sure you request the windshield number that has been posted several times in this thread. Life without ghosting is a much less haunting experience (pardon the pun).

Received 1106012-00-A today and my issue is fixed. Just a data point.
Great news! I remember talking to you about the windshield at Bonnie's and I remember you saying you would wait until they had a verified fix. That was a good plan because you skipped having them replace the windshield twice.... like me. I got my "A" windshield in October and I'm so happy to no longer be haunted by ghosts!

Reactions: ohmman and Cowby
Great news! I remember talking to you about the windshield at Bonnie's and I remember you saying you would wait until they had a verified fix. That was a good plan because you skipped having them replace the windshield twice.... like me. I got my "A" windshield in October and I'm so happy to no longer be haunted by ghosts!

This is what I’ve also been waiting for. I did the front Windshield tint which helped only about 10-20%. I’ll have to mention the part # posted here next time I bring it in. Thanks all for posting!

Reactions: EV-lutioin
Same here. I never felt there was much of a reason to push until they actually had a fix. It be interesting to see how SCs handle it especially as this becomes more broadly known. Let’s hope they do the right thing. It will be very disappointing if they stick to the “within spec” BS.
I definitely had to be the "squeaky wheel" to get them to replace it. It took many emails, phone calls and visits to the service center to get them to relent. And yes, they tried that "within spec BS" on me too. Hopefully I loosened the lid on the jar a little for others behind me in the queue. ;)

• Love
Reactions: Cowby
Why the other 2 replacements?
My first windshield got a stress fracture at the base, which is not uncommon. It was replaced under warranty. When I got home I thought the new windshield had not been properly cleaned down the middle. Turned out it had a manufacturing defect under the glass, a long faint line across the center. When Tesla said it would replace it again, I suggested they hold off and give me a windshield IOU. I figured waiting a bit would allow for the ghosting to be sorted, or that I would get a rock impact at some point and take the IOU then. Unfortunately, Tesla didn't want any IOUs... and just replaced it.

• Informative
This is what I’ve also been waiting for. I did the front Windshield tint which helped only about 10-20%. I’ll have to mention the part # posted here next time I bring it in. Thanks all for posting!
Yep - it cost us HUNDRED$ to purchase & have photosync installed some 7 or 8 months ago, just to drop our ghosts to a tolerable minimum. The notion of a replacement for a worse one - that'd be exasperating.

I was. I was already on the “list” to have it replaced but was having a bad parking sensor fixed and they replaced the windshield as well.
I was supposedly on the 'list' too and never heard a peep. My car is actually in the shop right now for the parking brake recall. Did your new windshield finally solve the problem? If so I'll try to get mine done.

I was supposedly on the 'list' too and never heard a peep. My car is actually in the shop right now for the parking brake recall. Did your new windshield finally solve the problem? If so I'll try to get mine done.
My windshield did indeed solve the ghosting problem, but in doing so there is a new artifact that has been introduced. I've been meaning to post about this but haven't made the time.

Now, there is no sign of ghosting at all. However, during the day if I'm wearing polarized glasses, I see rainbow artifacts throughout the periphery of my vision, especially at the top. Tilting my head offsets this effect depending on the angle of sunlight, but it can be a little annoying. I have to imagine they've coated the glass in some kind of film to remove the ghosting artifacts, but this is the drawback.

It's interesting because my wife had said we shouldn't bother replacing the windshield since we "mostly drive during the day." And she's right, but now we have rainbows all day long. The upside is all the pots of me lucky charms!

My windshield did indeed solve the ghosting problem, but in doing so there is a new artifact that has been introduced. I've been meaning to post about this but haven't made the time.

Now, there is no sign of ghosting at all. However, during the day if I'm wearing polarized glasses, I see rainbow artifacts throughout the periphery of my vision, especially at the top. Tilting my head offsets this effect depending on the angle of sunlight, but it can be a little annoying. I have to imagine they've coated the glass in some kind of film to remove the ghosting artifacts, but this is the drawback.

It's interesting because my wife had said we shouldn't bother replacing the windshield since we "mostly drive during the day." And she's right, but now we have rainbows all day long. The upside is all the pots of me lucky charms!

So u didn’t notice the ghosting during the daytime? Ours is so gawd aweful that we see triplicates at night and double in the daytime!

They gave me the idiotic laser test run around again last time I brought it in, but service manager said he’d research and take it up higher for me when I mentioned u and others that have had it done and the new part number given here....let’s see what happens next!

I’ll take the rainbows as we hardly wear sunglasses when driving! Even then, I’d just pay to have the windshield tinted again if needed!

Reactions: vrykolas
I had ghosting during the day and at night too...especially bad on overcast rainy days. It failed their "test" but my eyes are my test and it failed miserably. With the new replacement (see thread for the part number) for my AP1 MX, the ghosts have left the building. My problem has been solved. My local service center could sense my growing frustration and escalated the issue appropriately. Just be persistent. It helps to take the service techs on a test drive in the evening so they can see first hand what you are talking about. It was indisputable in my case.

So u didn’t notice the ghosting during the daytime? Ours is so gawd aweful that we see triplicates at night and double in the daytime!

They gave me the idiotic laser test run around again last time I brought it in, but service manager said he’d research and take it up higher for me when I mentioned u and others that have had it done and the new part number given here....let’s see what happens next!

I’ll take the rainbows as we hardly wear sunglasses when driving! Even then, I’d just pay to have the windshield tinted again if needed!
The ghosting is also very noticeable in the daytime, but it can be remedied by wearing polarized sunglasses, which I started doing as soon as I got the car as it was making my eyes very tired otherwise. I'm not a lemur or Cory Hart, so wearing my sunglasses at night is not an option.

So an update from the San Francisco Service Center today. I spoke to one service rep on the phone about the fact that I had heard that some people on TMC had finally resolved their ghosting issues with a new windshield, and that I was interested in finally doing the same. He said that he was not aware of any new windshield, so a replacement would be unlikely to resolve the problem.

When I got to the SC to pick up my car, I was speaking to a different rep and inquired again about the ghosting issue and a potential fix. She seemed much more knowledgeable about the issue and had the following points to say:
  1. Tesla had changed windshield suppliers and according to customers this new windshield did not have the ghosting issue to nearly the same degree.
  2. This windshield is being put on all new Model X's coming off the line in Fremont currently.
  3. If they were to order a new windshield for me, it would be unlikely to be one of these new ones as that supply was being used exclusively for new production and there was some remaining stock of the old windshields that were being sent to the SCs whenever they requested one.
I pointed out that (3) must not be absolutely true as there were some people on TMC who had received this windshield (P/N 1106012-00-A ?) and it has solved their problems. She told me that they would try get the factory to supply this particular P/N for me and they would call when it comes in to install it. Fingers crossed...

Wow - even being armed w/ all the current facts, the SC can still deflect. Gotta give 'em credit for being able to hold their ground. Maybe it's because after Tesla's hard core, "it's normal" &, "all curvy glass glass does that" stance, owners won't believe what they're told. Or is it that they're just not wanting to deal with quality challenges ... like the P90D active spoiler - or ventilated leather - or grey leather .... easier ro just drop the feature rather than improve it. Still ... they're the only game in town - as long as no one else has an equivalent DC infrastructure.