Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just dropped my early AP1 with terrible ghosting off to get a new windshield. The loaner is a newer AP2 with zero ghosting. Unbelievable couple hour drive home.

Loner part # is
1105964-00-B

We’ll see how mine does in a few days.

Just picked up my AP1 and drove home at roughly the same time (dusk->dark). 100% fixed. Incredible, I'm very happy. As I've mentioned before, the ghosting was downright nauseating in the right conditions. I even followed a newer Dodge Durango for a bit with that crazy loop taillight and only saw one of them.

AP1 non-ghosting windshield part number on my car; highly suggest bugging your SC:
1106012-00-A

The only thing awful on my car now is the shudder. More info on that coming soon.

Just picked up my AP1 and drove home at roughly the same time (dusk->dark). 100% fixed. Incredible, I'm very happy. As I've mentioned before, the ghosting was downright nauseating in the right conditions. I even followed a newer Dodge Durango for a bit with that crazy loop taillight and only saw one of them.

AP1 non-ghosting windshield part number on my car; highly suggest bugging your SC:
1106012-00-A

The only thing awful on my car now is the shudder. More info on that coming soon.

Thank you for those part numbers, I will use it for reference.

Did they use their 'special tool' to measure to see if your old one was within spec? I tried, 8 months apart, two service centers in Houston and they both ran the test and mine was within spec, therefore, denying replacement. Tried putting up with it for a year, can't take it anymore as parking and brake lights are LED more than ever, and even street lights and stop lights. Any street sign lit by LED is doubled enough where letters are unreadable until you get closer... the AP2 loaner I have has zero ghosting. If they have created an improved/fixed product it doesn't matter if the reflections/ghosting is within their spec at this point. If there's a measurable and subjective improvement, there should be a case by case consideration from the shop foreman.

I also sent the car in for the shudder, they confirmed it and said it only happens with high suspension and very high suspension setting. Said the car is designed to to that and will do no harm. As long as there's no harm I can leave that alone.

EDIT: added an image with the part number WITH ghosting.
1066747-01-C
MVIMG_20171130_204731.jpg

EDIT2: added an image with the part number WITHOUT ghosting. The AP2 loaner.
1105964-00-B
MVIMG_20171129_160016.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
Thank you for those part numbers, I will use it for reference.

Did they use their 'special tool' to measure to see if your old one was within spec? I tried, 8 months apart, two service centers in Houston and they both ran the test and mine was within spec, therefore, denying replacement. Tried putting up with it for a year, can't take it anymore as parking and brake lights are LED more than ever, and even street lights and stop lights. Any street sign lit by LED is doubled enough where letters are unreadable until you get closer... the AP2 loaner I have has zero ghosting. If they have created an improved/fixed product it doesn't matter if the reflections/ghosting is within their spec at this point. If there's a measurable and subjective improvement, there should be a case by case consideration from the shop foreman.

I also sent the car in for the shudder, they confirmed it and said it only happens with high suspension and very high suspension setting. Said the car is designed to to that and will do no harm. As long as there's no harm I can leave that alone.

EDIT: added an image with the part number WITH ghosting.
1066747-01-C
View attachment 263856

EDIT2: added an image with the part number WITHOUT ghosting. The AP2 loaner.
1105964-00-B
View attachment 263857
Didn’t test it to my knowledge, but the techs there are well aware of it. I sent the part number in about a month ago and asked if it was a fixed one, they ordered it. It would have been installed sooner but I didn’t have time when it came in.

Mine shudders in low->very high.

I'm taking my X back to the service center tomorrow as a result of the new windshield but not for the reason you might think. The ghosting is completely gone but I noticed to problems...
1. My voice commands don't work (but calls do). I wonder if there is a separate mic that didn't get plugged back in? At any rate, this should be a simple fix.
2. The sun visors don't attach to the mirror. This one is strange and when I stopped by the service center to show them, they were baffled. The visors have an arch to them. If you turn them horizontal they swing right over and snap into place. If you turn them vertically (to block the most sun), the arch causes it to touch the windshield which pushes the free end down to where it misses the mirror mount. If you swing it across horizontal, latch it, and then fold it down, it pops the mirror/camera trim off.

The first thing they wondered was if the windshield was installed wrong but it looks perfect as does all the A pillar trim and mirror/camera mount. I wonder if the new windshield has a slightly different shape (to solve the ghosting) which requires a different sun visor? I guess we'll find out :)

If you get a new windshield, check your sun visors before you leave.

• Helpful
Reactions: 00poop6x
I'm taking my X back to the service center tomorrow as a result of the new windshield but not for the reason you might think. The ghosting is completely gone but I noticed to problems...
1. My voice commands don't work (but calls do). I wonder if there is a separate mic that didn't get plugged back in? At any rate, this should be a simple fix.
2. The sun visors don't attach to the mirror. This one is strange and when I stopped by the service center to show them, they were baffled. The visors have an arch to them. If you turn them horizontal they swing right over and snap into place. If you turn them vertically (to block the most sun), the arch causes it to touch the windshield which pushes the free end down to where it misses the mirror mount. If you swing it across horizontal, latch it, and then fold it down, it pops the mirror/camera trim off.

The first thing they wondered was if the windshield was installed wrong but it looks perfect as does all the A pillar trim and mirror/camera mount. I wonder if the new windshield has a slightly different shape (to solve the ghosting) which requires a different sun visor? I guess we'll find out :)

If you get a new windshield, check your sun visors before you leave.
Interesting. Our visors are fine after the new windshield. Also, I'm curious which service center are you going to? SLC isn't exactly close enough to "stop by" if you're in Idaho. Portland is even worse.

After having the non-ghosting windshield for a couple weeks, it's still great. There is another difference compared to the old windshield. If you are wearing polarized sunglasses, the tinting on top of the windshield turns into a rainbow. So far it's only distracting with my wife's sunglasses, but mine are fine. Both are "polarized" but apparently not the same direction or quality. Both pairs are Costco cheapos so I can't tell you if "good" sunglasses would be better or worse.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Cowby and Fiddler
So I took my Apr 2016 build Model X (AP1) for windshield replacement and they put "MX WSHLD ASSEMBLY MONO-CAM HWAK4D-3 (1066747-01-C)". Driving back from the service center I already noticed ghosting. I wish I read this thread in detail so I would have known to ask for the right part number.

This is going to be a tough battle to get the service center to put the right part another time.

jeezz -
we're into this for over 2 years now, on a car costing ~ 6 figures & it's still ongoing. Yep - It's good to be the only game in town.
o_O
Maybe you want to pause to think, that this is not an easy problem to solve, primarily because of the huge size of the windshield and like nothing else on the market right now. They pushed the boundaries - thanks to Mr. Hubris - and now facing issues that are not easy to solve and may never be solved.

When a high volume of ANY product can get manufactured properly - but there's a KNOWN (for example) 10% - 20% defect rate ... the manufacturer only has so many options:
- $h|tcan the defects, but live with the cost of losses
- fix the issue (up front cost) so you don't suffer high scrap rate costs
- deliver the defective ones with the good ones & wait for end user to bitch about the defective item before providing a remedy

Guess which choice Tesla made.

jeezz -
we're into this for over 2 years now, on a car costing ~ 6 figures & it's still ongoing. Yep - It's good to be the only game in town.
o_O
Did you miss all the posts in the last few months about it being fixed for people? Sure, Tesla isn’t going out of their way to contact everyone and ask if they want it fixed (especially since a large percentage has never even noticed it), or that people getting windshields replaced for other reasons are getting the latest non doubling windshield. But it’s definitely fixed, if you know what to ask for (and can convince/your service manager is willing to give it to you under warranty- I really wish they’d be more lenient here).

Did you miss all the posts in the last few months about it being fixed for people?
that does not negate any of the above choices made. Rather, implicitly it proves up Tesla decided choice #3.
Sure, Tesla isn’t going out of their way to contact everyone and ask if they want it fixed (especially since a large percentage has never even noticed it), or that people getting windshields replaced for other reasons are getting the latest non doubling windshield.
yep ... choice #3
But it’s definitely fixed, if you know what to ask for (and can convince/your service manager is willing to give it to you under warranty- I really wish they’d be more lenient here).
Sears analogy - they too, were the only game in town once upon a time - for a long time. Enter your preferred competition here - call it Walmart - amazon whatever ... customers only stay loyal as long as the product/service is the best ballance between cost/convenience/reliability.