Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having the same issue with my modelX windshield. Has anyone got this issue resolved?
I just got mine last week. I absolutely love the car but this could really be a deal breaker if it isn't fixed soon. Seriously not safe to drive at night and like others say on overcast days and in the evening :(

Is there not a safety inspection completed before each and every car is released to the buyer? This ghosting is very easy to see!!!! I'm just very disappointed with such a major defect in my vehicle!
I would have waited another 6mths for my model X to have a safe car to drive at night. I'm actually very embarrassed about this issue and have not told any of our friends or family.
Please, please Tesla, fix this problem quickly.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
I'm having the same issue with my modelX windshield. Has anyone got this issue resolved?
I just got mine last week. I absolutely love the car but this could really be a deal breaker if it isn't fixed soon. Seriously not safe to drive at night and like others say on overcast days and in the evening :(

Sorry to hear this is still happening. What month was yours produced?

I don't think recent builds are any better. Tesla has said there is no current fix or solution for the matter.

My SC has offered to try another windshield, but said in all honestly, they didn't think it would solve the issue. It seems like some windshields are better than others, so its all dependent on your luck.

I believe Tesla made an executive decision to just release cars knowing that this problem existed instead of attempting to find a solution. Like others have said, it takes a second to look and you can easily see when driving. I love the company and now my 3rd Tesla, but this is unacceptable. The worst situation is when you have 4-5 lanes of on-coming traffic, it looks like everyone is shining their high beams at you.

I got an S loaner on Friday when I took my X to the SC and I noticed there's also ghosting with the S o_O Although it's not as pronounced as the ghosting in the X it is still there! The S seems to be quite new since it only has 4,000 miles on it and the new interior configuration.

I had an opportunity to really pay attention to my ghosting last night - I was passenger while my wife drove.

My windshield used to look like what has been posted here - I would say to the same degree given possible exacerbation from magnification shown in some of the most recent video post. It bothered me a fair amount after noticing (thanks to this forum), but I managed to put it out of my mind since A) I didn't consciously register it prior to joining here, B) none of my passengers would notice it, and C) when I pointed it out to my passengers, they didn't think it was a big deal (with one of my "car guy" friends going so far as to say he thinks it's normal/typical to see this artifact).

I've since tinted my windshield to diminish heat transmission, and noticed an immediate reduction in glare. I now only see one duplicate ghost above the source rather than 2 or 3, it is much more faint, and try as I might, I could not reproduce this accurately with my cell phone camera (iPhone 6 plus).

So for those of you with this problem, who don't think it is too big a deal, and who are planning to get a tint, I think you can feel pretty assured that it will become much less an issue or even a non-issue. (I got Photosync 75 (lightest) on the whole front windshield - cannot say whether the other available alternatives would do the same, but I would guess yes - maybe someone else could chime in.)

Reactions: TaoJones
So for those of you with this problem, who don't think it is too big a deal, and who are planning to get a tint, I think you can feel pretty assured that it will become much less an issue or even a non-issue

.. and you will start liking it and perhaps start demanding it in subsequent Tesla products, making this a desirable feature.. :)

• Double vision: Get amazing and cool double lights at night - $500

• Funny
Reactions: Roentgen
.. and you will start liking it and perhaps start demanding it in subsequent Tesla products, making this a desirable feature.. :)

• Double vision: Get amazing and cool double lights at night - $500
You can call it the J.J.Abrams Signature Windshield. Lots of lens flares and multiple lighting effects. Goes great with storm trooper white exterior.

Photosync 75 is a great solution for glare reduction through the windshield.

With that said, I wish there was a similar film or coating for the exterior side of the windshield. Something similarly invisible yet very durable.

Have read about an Optimum windshield coating. Separately, my car was going to be a test case for an exterior windshield film - anyone tried these or the coating? I figure any number of microns of protection is better than nothing insofar as staving off micropitting (which starting happening to my windshield very early on).

However, the devil is in the details, as it were. A successful solution will have to be:

1. Transparent
2. Durable
3. Devoid of artifacts

And for bonus points, it would be something that we could apply at home. Crazy talk, I know.

Reactions: Roentgen
A few of us got together at PPC yesterday to compare windshields. Even though all of our experiences are different it appears the windshields may be the same. It seems to boil down to seating position and perhaps what you tolerate too.

We did not get to do an extensive test because it was in daylight. We used bright shiny objects on adjacent cars but each car showed the same amount of ghosting.

Dropped my X off at the SLC SC this morning for a list of small items. They said they've heard of double vision, but hadn't really seen it themselves locally.

One of the things that I thought was interesting is that fit each issue he had to find the best fit symptom from a big drop down, or add a new item. I'm assuming this is so that they can get good aggregate reporting, and will spend more time investigating root cause the more people that report it.

A few of us got together at PPC yesterday to compare windshields. Even though all of our experiences are different it appears the windshields may be the same. It seems to boil down to seating position and perhaps what you tolerate too.

We did not get to do an extensive test because it was in daylight. We used bright shiny objects on adjacent cars but each car showed the same amount of ghosting.
To add to this, we also compared some of the "bubbling" in the windshields and that seems to be consistent as well. It really was hard to come to any conclusions one way or another, though. Seating position makes a difference, as @aesculus mentions. On my ride home, I dropped the seat as low as I could, and found that the ghosting was noticeable, but limited. I was driving solo, or I'd have gotten some photos or video.

I had an opportunity to really pay attention to my ghosting last night - I was passenger while my wife drove.

My windshield used to look like what has been posted here - I would say to the same degree given possible exacerbation from magnification shown in some of the most recent video post. It bothered me a fair amount after noticing (thanks to this forum), but I managed to put it out of my mind since A) I didn't consciously register it prior to joining here, B) none of my passengers would notice it, and C) when I pointed it out to my passengers, they didn't think it was a big deal (with one of my "car guy" friends going so far as to say he thinks it's normal/typical to see this artifact).

I've since tinted my windshield to diminish heat transmission, and noticed an immediate reduction in glare. I now only see one duplicate ghost above the source rather than 2 or 3, it is much more faint, and try as I might, I could not reproduce this accurately with my cell phone camera (iPhone 6 plus).

So for those of you with this problem, who don't think it is too big a deal, and who are planning to get a tint, I think you can feel pretty assured that it will become much less an issue or even a non-issue. (I got Photosync 75 (lightest) on the whole front windshield - cannot say whether the other available alternatives would do the same, but I would guess yes - maybe someone else could chime in.)

So, the Photosync helped the

So, I'm understanding that the Photosync IMPROVED the double vision... I have been looking around Portland, OR area to get window tint on my X, but no one does the windshield because it's too big. One place said they haven't done it yet, but would... HOWEVER, it would be 2 pieces with the seperation being right down the MIDDLE of the windshield (vertically-between Left/Ride side). I wouldn't mind if it was 2 pieces for the actual windshield and the 2nd piece being the dome/roof...

Is your Photosync on the windshield in 2 pieces?

Thanks

So, the Photosync helped the

So, I'm understanding that the Photosync IMPROVED the double vision... I have been looking around Portland, OR area to get window tint on my X, but no one does the windshield because it's too big. One place said they haven't done it yet, but would... HOWEVER, it would be 2 pieces with the seperation being right down the MIDDLE of the windshield (vertically-between Left/Ride side). I wouldn't mind if it was 2 pieces for the actual windshield and the 2nd piece being the dome/roof...

Is your Photosync on the windshield in 2 pieces?

Thanks

Yes, I have noticed a significant improvement with my tint. Do other brands work as well? I wish I could say.

My tint was in one piece. From talking to the guys at the shop, I think they said that Photosync was the only brand they had that was big enough to cover the front in one piece. There is no seam visible around the edges or along the mirror apparatus - they did a great job in that respect. I do see some minor bubbles, which can only be seen from the outside and if you're looking for them.

If you dislike the panoramic windshield as some do, you could consider getting a darker tint over the top, and a lighter tint on the bottom?

This looks like an inexpensive option to try until Tesla can figure out a better solution. I'm tempted to order a pair and try them out to see if they have any affect..

I just bought the Knight Visor https://www.amazon.com/Knight-Polarized-Professional-Glasses-Driving/dp/B012MI577S glasses and they made no difference (apparently they are not really polarized :confused:). My Serengeti sunglasses completely remove the ghosting, but of course they are too dark for night use. Has anyone found lightly tinted polarized glasses that can be used at night and eliminate the ghosting? Kinda silly that it has come to this, but until Tesla resolves this problem (are they trying??) I have to come up with something that allows me to comfortably drive my Model X at night. :rolleyes:

I just bought the Knight Visor https://www.amazon.com/Knight-Polarized-Professional-Glasses-Driving/dp/B012MI577S glasses and they made no difference (apparently they are not really polarized :confused:). My Serengeti sunglasses completely remove the ghosting, but of course they are too dark for night use. Has anyone found lightly tinted polarized glasses that can be used at night and eliminate the ghosting? Kinda silly that it has come to this, but until Tesla resolves this problem (are they trying??) I have to come up with something that allows me to comfortably drive my Model X at night. :rolleyes:
Please rate those glasses and write a review. That way others will be spared the hassle of trying them and finding they don't help.

I noticed a lot of reviews for night driving glasses on Amazon complain that they're not real polarized glasses.

If someone finds a pair that work, please share with the forum.