Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I finally got my car back.....As others have recently indicated Tesla is definitely aware of the problem....I drove my son's X which he claims has no ghosting. It initially did not have the problems with triple vision but when I adjusted his seat to the position that I normally use in my X the ghosting appeared. Interesting enough that his only had double images and not the triple images that mine has.

Now Tesla confirmed with me that they do not have a fix for the windshield yet. They are actively working on it and that all registered issues will be addressed with a replacement windshield when one is available. They had no timetable.

I am not pleased with this information but my polarized glasses take care of it during the day and I try to tune it out at night, works most of the time...Long term, as much as I love the car it is a deal killer and will probably sell it until something better comes along from Tesla or someone else...

My one-month-old MX (Sept 2016 production; AP1.0) has the same issue of triple vision/ghosting. So forget the idea that newer MXs do not have this issue. Registered the issue with Tesla and I am told that once the manufacturer has a fix for this issue, they will automatically schedule an appointment for the fix with registered owners with such complaints.

My one-month-old MX (Sept 2016 production; AP1.0) has the same issue of triple vision/ghosting. So forget the idea that newer MXs do not have this issue. Registered the issue with Tesla and I am told that once the manufacturer has a fix for this issue, they will automatically schedule an appointment for the fix with registered owners with such complaints.

I have no idea if this info is correct or helpful, but someone on TMC recently reported a comment from some Tesla rep/employee that the new AP2 cars would have a new windshield addressing/fixing this (did they claim a new manufacturer or something?).

I guess there could be a logic that fixing this would be needed for AP2 front cameras to work... but beyond this who knows if this info was right at all.

As far as I can tell a new manufacturer in of itself will not fix this issue. The slope of the windshield, the type and thickness of material and applied coatings (or lack thereof) is causing excessive reflection/refraction. This can be seen in other cars as well and is not unique to Tesla.

This issue requires a redesign of the windshield materials and construction. An internal polarizing element may be the only solution with the windshield as it is. Changing the glass composition or thickness is also feasible but has other design considerations.

I think what is meant by "new vendor will fix this" is that Tesla plans to say "Build this windshield according to our specifications, but with no ghosting, and we'll buy them from you from now on."

The vendor would likely make use of additional coatings or alter the materials used in order to achieve Tesla's requirements..

Reactions: Scmbug
Posted this on the --- Tesla may not take ghosting seriously thread too.

FYI, my SC mgr offered to replace mine as I have an 2XX early VIN thinking they windshields would be better now. They replaced it but it is just as bad and, unless I am imaginating it, worse. As well I have creak noise now that appears to come from the windshield during normal braking (even regen) or acceleration or some general driving (turns, bumps, etc). Eeek. The delivery/dropoff person said they noticed it and they had called before getting to my house. The techs thought it would go away. That was 4 weeks ago but I was not driving it for a couple weeks in there.

• Disagree
Reactions: Scmbug
The post in facebook group is about a glass replacement with a different coating, but the poster mentions nothing about ghosting. She had her overhead falcon door glass replaced because they were two different colors.

I have tried these inexpensive polarized glasses at night - they did not help with ghosting.
Amazon.com : Knight Visor Polarized Anti Glare HD Night Vision Glasses for Driving - Sport Bike Riders Protection Sunglasses - With Flexible Frame and FREE Car Clip Holder - Designed in Milano Italy (Brown) : Sports & Outdoors
Any suggestions for specific glasses for night driving that ameliorate the problem would be welcome.

I question if they are really polarized. I have some Persol polarized sunglasses and they work well day or night, but are too dark for night use.

There is inherently at least 50% loss of light (assuming random incoming polarization) when light passes through a linear polarizer. If the "polarized" glasses don't have what appears to be at least 50% tint, they can't be properly polarized. Of course that apparent tint level alone does not guarantee polarization either. This is the problem with the night ghosting issue - you can't eliminate the ghosts with polarized glasses and still have reasonable night vision since less than half as much light will be reaching your eyes.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
I bought these on Amazon: Amazon.com: Jaky® Lightweight Yellow Night Vision Polarized Clip-on Sunglass Rectangular Lenses With Compact Flip Up Mount - Anti-Reflective UV400 UV Protection - Fits over Prescription Eyeglasses for Driving or Fishing (Medium Size): Clothing

I had never used yellow "polarized driving glasses" before. They do cut down on headlight glare significantly, once you get used to the yellow tint, but they do NOT eliminate the ghosting. It is less noticeable because of the overall reduction in glare but it is definitely still there.

That being said, I haven't found the ghosting to be that annoying.

Most (or all) of those "polarized" glasses (yellow tint) on Amazon are misleading, they aren't really polarized. I haven't found a pair that has true polarization.

But to support @Colby Boles post above, I spoke to my eye doctor this evening and he said the exact same thing. You can't get polarized, night-driving glasses because you lose half the light coming in. The best I've found are @ohmman's HT Gunmetal Maui Jims.