Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have now e-mailed my service center here in Sweden, waiting for response.
I have invited several people in the car to see if they experience the same issue.
6 different people both male and female, tall and short, wearing glasses, lenses and with perfect eyesight.
All of them experience the sam thing, regardless if they are in the passenger seat or divers seat.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and MX1028
I have now e-mailed my service center here in Sweden, waiting for response.
I have invited several people in the car to see if they experience the same issue.
6 different people both male and female, tall and short, wearing glasses, lenses and with perfect eyesight.
All of them experience the sam thing, regardless if they are in the passenger seat or divers seat.
Would love to find out the Service Center's response!

Scheduled for installation of new windshield tomorrow, following cracking two days after delivery in mid Dec. Severe (triple) ghosting in the existing windshield. Have specified that we would wait on fixing the crack if there was a new version that would definitely solve it. The one we're getting is supposed to be the "latest revision of windshields [they] are offering."

Scheduled for installation of new windshield tomorrow, following cracking two days after delivery in mid Dec. Severe (triple) ghosting in the existing windshield. Have specified that we would wait on fixing the crack if there was a new version that would definitely solve it. The one we're getting is supposed to be the "latest revision of windshields [they] are offering."
Let us know if the new windshield fixes the issue. I have a feeling I'm going to have to complain and complain until they decide to replace the windshield.

Sorry for the delay getting back to everyone. My windshield was replaced early December. The windshield did not fix the ghosting issues, and honestly, think the new ghosting is worse! I dropped the car off yesterday for a few other items, and the service advisor indicated that it still is hit or miss if the ghosting is corrected with a new windshield.

I told them to hold off future replacements until they are 100% certain they have a fix.

i looked at the windshield more carefully, i think it's the curvature. it has a slightly bulbous shape if you look at it from the side of the hood. i am not a glass engineer, but i wonder why can't they make the lower portion-the part that most people see through flatter and let the curve starts where the UV tint is.

i looked at the windshield more carefully, i think it's the curvature. it has a slightly bulbous shape if you look at it from the side of the hood. i am not a glass engineer, but i wonder why can't they make the lower portion-the part that most people see through flatter and let the curve starts where the UV tint is.

Here's my cue to link to another interesting post on this subject.

Reactions: Scmbug
Finally noticed this ghosting issue last night when I was driving home in the rainy weather. I wouldn't have even looked for it if it wasn't for all this complaining. All I did was look straight at the road and not stare at the blinding lights anyway. Done.

At first, windshield cost was alleged to be $2,300. Later on it was claimed to cost in the "$800's. The higher price would be a bargain, if it meant not seeing an extra red or green arrow .... or 2 extra sets of headlights above the real headlights.

I only have ghosting when I have the bright RED LED's light up in front of me, and only on the Model S, I had that issue on my Prius years back.
HW2 Model X 90D with cold weather package. 29XXX VIN. Same thing here. Only red lights - mostly LEDs at night. Noticed it on the highway at night. Definitely gets worse if you sat in the seat taller than me. Not a huge deal honestly - unless I heard there was a definitive fix I wouldn't have the SC try and replace anything on my car at least...

Reactions: ABC2D
Our Tesla contact person just told us last night that corporate acknowledged to him that corporate says yes, corporate acknowledges the ghosting is in fact a 'defect' within the meaning of needing to be corrected as a part of defective/warranty work. Previously, the word was passed to store reps to say (something to the effect) curvy class inherantly ghosts. That is to say, 'it's normal - ie; not a defect. That being the case - now the issue just becomes one of when will Tesla have a solution - and when can it be incorporated into manufacturing.
Has anyone heard how hard MX sales are being hit with this issue? Or is the topic simply not brought up when customers go into the stores and want to buy.

Our Tesla contact person just told us last night that corporate acknowledged to him that corporate says yes, corporate acknowledges the ghosting is in fact a 'defect' within the meaning of needing to be corrected as a part of defective/warranty work. Previously, the word was passed to store reps to say (something to the effect) curvy class inherantly ghosts. That is to say, 'it's normal - ie; not a defect. That being the case - now the issue just becomes one of when will Tesla have a solution - and when can it be incorporated into manufacturing.
Has anyone heard how hard MX sales are being hit with this issue? Or is the topic simply not brought up when customers go into the stores and want to buy.
I'd be very surprised if there is a significant number of people that have heard of ghosting outside these forums. So, my guess is that it hasn't affected sales at all. Most people outside the forums know very little about the X. In fact, most haven't even heard about the missing safety features on AP2.0 vehicles.

I didn't know about this until I placed the order and started reading these forums.

So, here are some photos that a colleague photographer helped out shooting.
I "love" the double green lights... "Supergreen!!"
TESLA_MX_GHOSTING_20170109_SMALL_01.jpgTESLA_MX_GHOSTING_20170109_SMALL_02.jpgTESLA_MX_GHOSTING_20170109_SMALL_03.jpgTESLA_MX_GHOSTING_20170109_SMALL_04.jpgTESLA_MX_GHOSTING_20170109_SMALL_05.jpgTESLA_MX_GHOSTING_20170109_SMALL_06.jpgTESLA_MX_GHOSTING_20170109_SMALL_07.jpgTESLA_MX_GHOSTING_20170109_SMALL_08.jpgTESLA_MX_GHOSTING_20170109_SMALL_09.jpg