Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you misunderstand him. I think he means "front", the side of the handle facing the person and "back", the side of the handle facing the door.

No. Zaphod was right. I misremembered the direction of the handles. But my point remains that they are awkward.

Let me remind you of the Prius: 1000 small improvements added up to a very efficient car. You can bet that someone, somewhere, found every one one of those improvements 'not worth it.'

I took delivery of my Prius in January of 2004 and joined Prius Chat a few months later when I discovered it. I do not remember the sort of complaints about design choices that we're seeing (and I'm feeling) about the Model 3. A lot of people complained that the shape is ugly. (I agreed that it's ugly but I didn't care.) The nay-sayers claimed that the battery would not last. They were wrong. I was annoyed that the climate controls are on the MFD and you have to start the car to operate them (as opposed to turning a knob). (And I have the same sort of complaint with the Model 3.)

But the Prius was not stuffed to the gills with the sort of design choices that are supposed to make the Model 3 "like a spaceship" and actually just make it awkward to operate.

Yes, the Model 3 is very clean-looking inside. But honestly, I'd rather have controls and gauges where I can see and use them easily. Example: Some cars have switches on the driver's door to adjust the mirrors. The Model 3 has those knobs on the steering wheel, but you have to go to the relevant screen on the display in order for those knobs to actually adjust the mirrors. Everything is sleek and clean and pretty and awkward to actually use.

... I'd rather have controls and gauges where I can see and use them easily. Example: Some cars have switches on the driver's door to adjust the mirrors. The Model 3 has those knobs on the steering wheel, but you have to go to the relevant screen on the display in order for those knobs to actually adjust the mirrors. Everything is sleek and clean and pretty and awkward to actually use.
Wait a sec... I though that Elon said we wouldn't care.

My basic point is the same: It's awkward! It actually would have been a bit easier with the press-buldge in the front, since I'm right handed..
For me, it is six of one, half a dozen of the other. I am right handed. On the driver's side, I press on the back of the handle with my right thumb, put my fingers underneath the front half and open. On the passenger side, I press on the back side of the handle with my right thumb, put my fingers over the top of the front half and open. It will take a couple of days to get used to but then it just becomes muscle memory.

Example: Some cars have switches on the driver's door to adjust the mirrors. The Model 3 has those knobs on the steering wheel, but you have to go to the relevant screen on the display in order for those knobs to actually adjust the mirrors.
You get preset driver profiles with PUP. Just hit the right button on your smartphone/watch and everything is preset for you when you climb in. This is one of the big attractions for me with PUP.

I was referring to the front and back of the car. With my right hand on the driver's door I'd press with my thumb and grab with my fingers. I actually found it a bit awkward. I'll get used to it. But a passenger who has not been in the car before likely would find it awkward as well.

ETA: Oh, you're right! I did have it backwards. I misremembered. My basic point is the same: It's awkward! It actually would have been a bit easier with the press-buldge in the front, since I'm right handed..
Are you sure you use your right hand to open the driver's door? I'm right handed too but I open my car door with my left hand. It would be awkward to grab the door handle with my right hand and swing the door open using my right arm.

Wait a sec... I though that Elon said we wouldn't care.

Oh. I'll learn to live with it. But sometimes the simpler way is the best.

You get preset driver profiles with PUP. Just hit the right button on your smartphone/watch and everything is preset for you when you climb in. This is one of the big attractions for me with PUP.

I'd rather not have to pull out my phone, open the app, scroll to the right screen, and select my choice.

No good deed (letting you drive the Tesla 3) goes unpunished!

Most of my complaints above were things I've talked about long before I got to drive the car. My impression from driving the car was quite positive.

If it's like the MX, you can turn that feature off.

Yes. You can. And I probably will. Then you have to use the card key to open and lock the car. I don't have to take anything out of my pocket to lock or unlock my Prius. Touch the inside of the door handle to unlock it. Press the button on the handle to lock it. Then if I try to lock it without taking the fob with me, the car warns me with a distinctive beeping. If I'm using my smartphone to proximity-lock the Model 3 but I forget and leave the phone in the car, assuming it will lock when I walk away, the car will remain unlocked and anyone can get in and drive it away. There's no warning that I left the phone in the car, and no warning that the car didn't lock. This is a disaster waiting to happen. Very bad design choice from people who assume that everyone's phone is permanently glued to them.

But this has nothing to do with my test drive. I repeat, that driving it was a nice experience. I still need a longer drive, including freeway, before I'll be willing to commit. But I expect that I will end up getting the car, either in the first half of 2018, or when the P-AWD comes out.

• Informative
Reactions: Panhandler
Well, using your right hand to open the driver door I could see being awkward. You really need to use your left hand on the driver door and use your right hand for the passenger door (assuming a left hand drive car). I'm left-handed so maybe that is why it is more intuitive to me.

Cue the outcry that Tesla is forcing people to be ambidextrous :p
I'm sure you could still thumb the left driver's door handle in with your right hand's thumb, and then pivot your #2 and #3 fingers underneath the bar. As you do, you can let go with your thumb. Finger #4 can help too. Easy enough to do for a piano player.

Just curious if you have driven a Chevy Bolt yet.

No, I have not. I prefer to support a company that has a real commitment to electric transportation, and I didn't feel like asking for a test drive of a car I have no real interest in buying. (I did drive a Volt, after telling the dealer it was just curiosity and that I was not in the market for another car, but I guess I'm less curious about the Bolt today than I was about the volt six years ago.)

I'm curious about how you found the steering feel and accuracy, especially compared to your Roadster? Did your friend's 3 have the aero or optional 19" wheels? Thanks!

Steering feel, accuracy, and handling felt excellent. This is completely subjective, based on a very short drive, but I felt that the Model 3 held the road better than my Roadster does. I do not know if this is real, or just that I'm so comfortable in the Roadster that I drive it hard, and I was going easier on the Model 3 because it was not my car and it is brand new. But my subjective feel was that handling and steering were outstanding, and better than my Roadster.

I do not know what wheels were on the car. My Roadster has the stock wheels.

Reactions: DR61
A detail I forgot to mention in my OP: The Model 3 does not have a driver-operated emergency brake. The parking brake is automatically engaged when you put the car in park. I thought this was very odd and a poor idea, but my friend told me that a lot of cars are doing it this way now.

I guess we won't see the Model 3 in any any of those crazy You Tube videos where they make the car skid/glide around 180º and slide into a parking space with zero clearance front and back. (They use the hand brake to do that, don't they?)

A detail I forgot to mention in my OP: The Model 3 does not have a driver-operated emergency brake. The parking brake is automatically engaged when you put the car in park. I thought this was very odd and a poor idea, but my friend told me that a lot of cars are doing it this way now
If I understand your post correctly, I believe what you describe for the 3 is the way the S and X have always worked in that regard.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and DR61