Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Fatality Model S Crash/Fire: Fort Lauderdale, FL May 8, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the coolant runs out, everything will burn: ICE or EV battery. It has nothing to do with the type of battery. If the battery uses a coolant, and there is an accident related rupture, it will burn.
Trivia - most auto coolant contains an alcohol. With enough heat, they are fuel source. Not a big risk. But banned from some racing orgs, especially using 100% concentration.

I wonder if a small discharge port could be added to an alternate part of the pack (underneath under an access door?) to draw down the charge with a resistance load after a collision where the bodywork of the car is mangled. This would reduce the energy stored on board a demolished car.

Alternately Tesla could make a resistance load device that plugs into the charge port to accomplish the same thing for cars which are not too badly damaged in that particular area.

That the Model X reignited after days in storage seems to imply that pack energy should be drawn down from badly wrecked cars.

Reactions: X Fan
Battery University says that thermal runaway occurs at 302°F, 150°C, for NCA type batteries. Thermal runaway occurs at 410°F, 210°C for NMC type batteries.
Thermal runaway starts at much lower temperatures. What you may refer to is the beginning of the decomposition of the metal oxide cathode?
NCA (N8,15.C1,5.A0,35) has a much higher oxygen potential than mangan based cathodes. Thermal runaway at the point of metal oxide decomposion can't be stopped externally esp. when the cathode is Li-poored out (high SoC).

• Informative
Reactions: DanCar
He got a 112mph ticket on 3 march. Why did he still have a drivers license?..
This is a rocket on wheels. I can speak from my garage where a 800 HP Chevy sleeps. :)

NTSB is all over this one just like Ca crash. Batteries will burn very hot and fast. They died in the car. There r pictures posted here in FL. Papers and video .
Parents please dont let you children a Tesla unless u put it Valet mode.

NTSB investigating deaths of Florida teens in fiery Tesla crash

article that quotes the speeding ticket.....agree, parents failed here.....112mph is not appropriate anywhere but on a street with a 50mph speed limit, that is beyond reckless.

But....sadly, this is a common occurrence for young people (as a teen, I lost a couple of friends speeding on their motorcycles and their car).

Reminds me of a similar situation her in Atlanta a few years ago, which I remember because I rode my bike on the bike trail across form the ICE accident where I saw the burnt grass and burnt tree.
Graduation time is a dangerous time for the young as they explore their wings in fast cars.
A recent HS grad was presented with used Ferrari by his family, some time later took it for a spin with a friend and went air borne around a curve as the road dropped away, spun the back end into a tree, driver an passenger were able to extract themselves but driver died at the scene, passenger lived. car caught fire. Only reports in the local media.... accident did not make the national news.

Yeah I don't feel this one required being on national news but of course Tesla is a hot topic right now so it makes great news. Cars catch fire everyday so they shouldn't be focusing on the fire of the Tesla so much. I think the best thing is to educate first responders and owners what to do if this ever happened.

Trivia - most auto coolant contains an alcohol. With enough heat, they are fuel source. Not a big risk. But banned from some racing orgs, especially using 100% concentration.

Ethylene Glycol which I believe they use has a very small risk of fire. With a flash point of 232F and auto ignition over 700F it's pretty safe. Could it ignite? Of course it could but it would be after the battery has already hit a critical point. Lithium batteries are very dangerous and unstable when damaged.

Ethylene Glycol which I believe they use has a very small risk of fire. With a flash point of 232F and auto ignition over 700F it's pretty safe. Could it ignite? Of course it could but it would be after the battery has already hit a critical point. Lithium batteries are very dangerous and unstable when damaged.

I believe Evan's Coolant is ethylene glycol IIRC. It is recommended to use at 100% concentration.
A Bonneville racer I knew was racing a streamliner. The engine was running Evans.
Nobody is sure what started the fire, but it was likely the turbine housing since we can run up to 1000°C EGTs.
Evans burns with an 'invisible' flame like methanol. His first indication he was on fire was his faceshield bubbling and his Nomex gloves melting. By the time got stopped and was out of the car, he was burned pretty bad. We wear SFI-20 garments (Top Fuel suits) that give us 40 seconds of protection. That is not always enough. We have to be able to escape the car in 20 seconds max during Tech Inspection. But even at only 200mph, it takes a long time to stop on salt even with a parachute.

After that, alcohol based coolants were banned. He could have easily died and was in the hospital quite awhile. He hung up his helmet.

• Informative
Reactions: Pentium2004
I wonder if a small discharge port could be added to an alternate part of the pack (underneath under an access door?) to draw down the charge with a resistance load after a collision where the bodywork of the car is mangled. This would reduce the energy stored on board a demolished car.

I think Tesla has already done that. @wk057 reported that they have a big resistive heater that they can roll over to a car and plug in to drain the battery pack before they begin working on it. That assume of course that the discharge port doesn't get damaged in the collision.

Of course if you drain it too much or leave it too long you are potentially causing more damage that insurance would have to cover. (Assuming the car was repairable.)

• Informative
Reactions: wk057 and mtndrew1
What Elon says and the reality are two different things! On real crash tests Model S has poor to middle performance.

Independent testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has awarded the Tesla Model S a 5-star safety rating, not just overall, but in every subcategory without exception. Approximately one percent of all cars tested by the federal government achieve 5 stars across the board. NHTSA does not publish a star rating above 5, however safety levels better than 5 stars are captured in the overall Vehicle Safety Score (VSS) provided to manufacturers, where the Model S achieved a new combined record of 5.4 stars.

I run in a couple of race series, and in both cases they ban ethylene glycol, but not because of any fire risk. It's because of the risk of an on-track spill, how slick the stuff is, and the difficulty of track cleanup. We run with water, which is more than sufficient. Glycol is used in street cars because it doesn't freeze.

Reactions: thegruf
I run in a couple of race series, and in both cases they ban ethylene glycol, but not because of any fire risk. It's because of the risk of an on-track spill, how slick the stuff is, and the difficulty of track cleanup. We run with water, which is more than sufficient. Glycol is used in street cars because it doesn't freeze.

True. NHRA banned it because it's hard to clean up.
But the SCTA (land speed racers) banned it due to the fire risks.
Most race cars do not get as hot as LSR cars, and the fires can be much more intense.