Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Class Action Settlement 7-26-18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am out.
5M is pocket change to get out from actually deliver the goods. I do wonder if this is not a undercut way to force people to take a few bucks for their rights to get what was sold.
I really wonder if Elon is not the one that is behind the scene starting it all. Deliver the goods or buy it back may be Ill stay in.
I enjoy way more driving my S with AP1 that can even read speed limit signs and the auto lane change do work when the driver tells it to instead of a outdated map deciding if it should or not work on AP2 on my X.
One can wish.....

Reactions: caligula666
FOR EVERYONE THAT WANTS TO OPT OUT...PAY ATTENTION...As part of this agreement between the lawyers and Tesla, EVERYONE who purchased a Tesla w/AP 2.0 during the stated timeframe (Before Sept 30, 2017) IS a part of the lawsuit whether you like it or not. You have to write an actual paper letter to the attorneys stating you want out of it. If you don't, you forfeit any future claims against the AP2 release issues.

I'm not a lawyer by any means, but the way I read this is...If they mail you a check for $20-280, you may not have a claim against Tesla if they delay/don't deliver AP features in the future.

Also, keep in mind, this has nothing to do with FSD.

Here is an excerpt from the website.

How do I ask to be excluded?

You can ask to be excluded from the Settlement. To do so, you must send a letter clearly stating that you want to be excluded from the Settlement in Sheikh, et al. v. Tesla, Inc., No. 5:17-CV-02193-BLF. Your letter must also include your name, address, and your signature. You must mail your exclusion request no later than September 6, 2018 to:

Sheikh, et al. v. Tesla, Inc. Settlement
P.O. Box 404000
Louisville, KY 40233-4000

You can’t exclude yourself via phone, fax, or email.

Source
Sheikh, et al. v. Tesla, Inc.

I hate this stuff... either Tesla wins, or the lawyer wins, or both win... but all of us consumers, with our rage/anger or our passionate defense are nothing but pawns. It's a joke really.

I don't have much sympathy for the EAP complaints honestly (context was clear, moving off mobile-eye, and supposed EAP features were few and not significant), but feel very badly for the FSD folks (that video was clearly 'bait', and they are getting nothing), that is where the real claim lies, but regardless, in these types of matters, us consumers get robbed either way.

• Helpful
Reactions: Johann Koeber
I hate this stuff... either Tesla wins, or the lawyer wins, or both win... but all of us consumers, with our rage/anger or our passionate defense are nothing but pawns. It's a joke really.

I don't have much sympathy for the EAP complaints honestly (context was clear, moving off mobile-eye, and supposed EAP features were few and not significant), but feel very badly for the FSD folks (that video was clearly 'bait', and they are getting nothing), that is where the real claim lies, but regardless, in these types of matters, us consumers get robbed either way.

I'm also considering opting out. $280 doesn't buy my satisfaction for the way the materials and Elon himself marketed EAP and FSD timelines.

What's interesting is that Tesla has already ALSO stated that the monetary awards of this settlement will voluntarily be paid by them globally to all owners because "it's the right thing to do." Clearly, they are anticipating on paying out to all hardware 2.0 owners who bought EAP. I'm wondering if I can exclude myself from this settlement to protect my rights, but maybe still receive the payment along with all other owners.

I'm sure the answer is "no", but it's a strange fact pattern in that Tesla has already promised the benefit to all owners irrespective if they were in the class or not.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I'm also considering opting out. $280 doesn't buy my satisfaction for the way the materials and Elon himself marketed EAP and FSD timelines.

What's interesting is that Tesla has already ALSO stated that the monetary awards of this settlement will voluntarily be paid by them globally to all owners because "it's the right thing to do." Clearly, they are anticipating on paying out to all hardware 2.0 owners who bought EAP. I'm wondering if I can exclude myself from this settlement to protect my rights, but maybe still receive the payment along with all other owners.

I'm sure the answer is "no", but it's a strange fact pattern in that Tesla has already promised the benefit to all owners irrespective if they were in the class or not.

Except that statement isn't legally bound by anything. If you think you can bring a better case against Tesla, more power to you, but reading over the initial lawsuit, the plantiffs seemed to have pretty much worst case sob stories about AP2. Test drove and sold based off AP1 test cars and the most aggressively worded description of AP1, sat through months of no EAP, then the horrifying initial few months of AP2 and its dancing lane lines.

If 5 million dollars (0.0166% of a MobileEye… is that the correct unit of measurement?) is all they managed to get from Tesla, either the lawyers sucked or there wasn't much merit to the complaint. And it seems to justify the gamble that Tesla took with AP2.

I really think the statement Tesla will hear by opting out is that you're happy with the rollout and don't feel like you want the payout.

apparently he speaks for everyone haha. To say people distrust self driving is misleading.

When the "horseless carriage" first came out people thought that was a joke as well and ridiculed it.

Yup...

“Winton, I am disappointed in you.” That riled me, but I held my temper as I asked, “What’s the matter with you?” He bellowed: “There’s nothing the matter with me. It’s you! You’re crazy if you think this fool contraption you’ve been wasting your time on will ever displace the horse.” - Banker to Alexander Winton, the inventor who built and may have sold the very first automobile in the United States.

Full article is a good read if anyone is interested

Reactions: MarkKW
That helps... I'll opt out. I am happy enough, and I didn't pay for FSD. If I sued for every time a product didn't match its marketing, that would be a full time job (and it is for those lawyers). Just not worth the brain power or concern.

And today, I LOVE my EAP, it's pretty darn awesome and has transformed my commute.

I really think the statement Tesla will hear by opting out is that you're happy with the rollout and don't feel like you want the payout.

FOR EVERYONE THAT WANTS TO OPT OUT...PAY ATTENTION...As part of this agreement between the lawyers and Tesla, EVERYONE who purchased a Tesla w/AP 2.0 during the stated timeframe (Before Sept 30, 2017) IS a part of the lawsuit whether you like it or not. You have to write an actual paper letter to the attorneys stating you want out of it. If you don't, you forfeit any future claims against the AP2 release issues.

I'm not a lawyer by any means, but the way I read this is...If they mail you a check for $20-280, you may not have a claim against Tesla if they delay/don't deliver AP features in the future.

Also, keep in mind, this has nothing to do with FSD.

Here is an excerpt from the website.

How do I ask to be excluded?

You can ask to be excluded from the Settlement. To do so, you must send a letter clearly stating that you want to be excluded from the Settlement in Sheikh, et al. v. Tesla, Inc., No. 5:17-CV-02193-BLF. Your letter must also include your name, address, and your signature. You must mail your exclusion request no later than September 6, 2018 to:

Sheikh, et al. v. Tesla, Inc. Settlement
P.O. Box 404000
Louisville, KY 40233-4000

You can’t exclude yourself via phone, fax, or email.

Source
Sheikh, et al. v. Tesla, Inc.
Yah, I call B.S. on that. Somebody files a suit and I'm not involved and then my future rights are affected if I do nothing w/r/t suit? Fail legal system if true.

Yah, I call B.S. on that. Somebody files a suit and I'm not involved and then my future rights are affected if I do nothing w/r/t suit? Fail legal system if true.

Yup. Complete B.S. I think by denying my $90, I'm leaving my options open for the future. I just hate the thought that the lawyers are going to keep that money. I would rather have it donated to a charity and elect to not participate in the lawsuit.

I really think Tesla is doing this more to cover their A$$ than as goodwill. $5m is a drop in the bucket.

My view might be different.

My auto pilot works significantly better that when I took delivery in January 2017. It has received numerous OTA upgrades and works pretty well for me in daily driving.

Tesla notified me that they had a falling out with Mobile Eye and that they would need to pretty much start all over. Evidently they began to lay the groundwork for what they thought would lead to an even better system than Mobile eye. Said that they purchased a huge state of the art processor that would begin scanning all the roads as our Tesla drove down them. They intended to integrate this tremendous amount of data to make the cars work better over time. The called this Tesla Vision. I understood that until this system fleshes out that the capabilites shown in that video could not be obtained.

Fair enough. They are changing the world, and often times it takes longer than expected.

Was happy to hear that they would be sending me a check due to the delays. I am grateful for that, and it will be appreciated. Probably use it to buy a share of stock or something for our garage charging station.

Big reason for my positive attitude is that some months ago I drove down the Pacific Coast Highway in my Model X. We could only go so far as they were repairing the road. We needed to head over the mountains to get to Hwy 101. The weather could not have been worse. Super foggy, drizzle and I could not see 10' in front of the car. Driving around those curves was nerve racking and I feared running off the side of the mountain or running into a vehicle stopped on the road. In frustration and fear i turned on my Autopilot, knowing that the radar might be helpful. Slowed down to less than 10 mph and amazingly the car became very sure footed and stayed in the middle of the lane. I could see on the display that it had better visability than me, and let it do the driving. While I did not really trust it, and remained super vigilant, with my foot hovering over the brake, it soon became clear that it could see better then me.

This made me a believer and appreciated my Tesla purchase very much at that time.

Opt out of this if you're a decent person please. This is ridiculous. There is no point in getting a measly 20 bucks to say that you're angry EAP is not AP1... Which to be honest, it's pretty much close to it at this point. Yea it wasn't perfect back in June 2017 when I got it but it was a game changer for a new Tesla owner like myself. Fast forward to today and I wouldn't even THINK about getting a Tesla without EAP.

I would take my $$$ whenever they show up and use it to help pay for FSD if I hadn’t already BOUGHT IT 20 MONTHS AGO. Lol lol lol lol Soooooo I guess I’ll just add to,it and buy some TSLA shares. Keep it in the Tesla family one way or another.

I opted out a couple weeks ago but there's no way to get a hold of them to see if they received my letter. I sent a duplicate just incase. I tried finding a number but the one on the website is only a computer. No humans. Anyone have a number?

I still think it's BS that you are a part of this settlement automatically.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I opted out a couple weeks ago but there's no way to get a hold of them to see if they received my letter. I sent a duplicate just incase. I tried finding a number but the one on the website is only a computer. No humans. Anyone have a number?

I still think it's BS that you are a part of this settlement automatically.

Tesla does not get to keep the money from those that opted out. If your goal is to help Tesla it is best to take it and reinvest in some fashion with Tesla