Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to have, or purchase, basic AP before you can purchase EAP. So no, there is no discount.

So it is not like you could have bought EAP for $4k has you not already purchased basic AP.

Ohh ok thanks for letting me know
hmm that’s interesting
Expensive...
might as well just buy FSD
When I purchased ap, I was hoping Tesla would release eap to all basic ap users down the road... maybe as a Christmas gift someday...
looks like that won’t be happening any time soon lol

Last edited:
Ohh ok thanks for letting me know
hmm that’s interesting
Expensive...
might as well just buy FSD
When I purchased ap, I was hoping Tesla would release eap to all basic ap users down the road... maybe as a Christmas gift someday...
looks like that won’t be happening any time soon lol
It's not a bad idea to buy the EAP, since FSD has been on sale before. Last time it was only 2k to upgrade to fsd from EAP.

Reactions: stlclint
Purchased EAP this afternoon for my 2020 M3P. Most of my miles are on the highway with AP so this was something I was looking forward to when I bought the car in December. I was in the car on LTE and in park when I made the purchase using my phone and as soon as the payment was made my screen shut off and rebooted with the new features. I was impressed how quick it all happened since the confirmation email said WiFi or hotspot will speed up the process. The reboot took about 2 minutes to complete and all the features were enabled and ready to go. Used NoA on the highway this evening and it’s like driving a new car now. No regrets after the first trip and don’t expect that to change.

Purchased EAP this afternoon for my 2020 M3P. Most of my miles are on the highway with AP so this was something I was looking forward to when I bought the car in December. I was in the car on LTE and in park when I made the purchase using my phone and as soon as the payment was made my screen shut off and rebooted with the new features. I was impressed how quick it all happened since the confirmation email said WiFi or hotspot will speed up the process. The reboot took about 2 minutes to complete and all the features were enabled and ready to go. Used NoA on the highway this evening and it’s like driving a new car now. No regrets after the first trip and don’t expect that to change.
Awesome. Still debating but I’m leaning towards getting it...

difference in AP and EAP huge???

Reactions: M109Rider
Let's be honest. You are going to get on the highway and get stuck behind someone for 2 mins then see the car put on it's blinker to change lanes. It's going to ask you to put your hands on the wheel before anyway. You are going to be like oh man this is cool and it will slowly change lanes maybe. $4000

I am going to pull up and change lanes in a second then tap tap and I'm back cruising in autopilot. Free
Wrong about lane changes being slow. Lane changes are quick, too quick for my wife’s taste. Of course $4000 isn’t cheap and other upgrades are sketchy. Summon works about half the time on both of our cars.

Even if they convince 10,000 people to buy this before the end of the month (they won’t), it’s a rounding error compared to the $5b capital raise they just completed.

This is a long term play and acknowledgement that they’ve overpriced FSD and people are balking. It may “go away” in October, but it will sure as sugar be back soon.
Comparing a capital raise to a revenue boost is a mixed metaphor. They are unrelated.

Anyway, 10,000 people spending $4000 would generate $40 million dollars that would drop almost entirely to the bottom line, which would be pretty significant.

I think this is a cunning move by Tesla. At some point in the next few months V11 software is going to arrive, which is going to require HW3 (in all probability, since the way the nw AI works needs the extra power of HW3). At that point we are dealing with a major fork between pre-HW3 and HW3 cars, so I think the logic is to try to monetize the pre-HW3 cars as much as possible right now by offering EAP (which doesnt need the HW upgrade).

Have you scheduled the upgrade? That's how you get it.

I suspect that @vickh is saying something like "I thought all cars past April of 2019 came with HW 3, but my car purchased in May of 2019 has HW 2.5. Tesla promised me HW 3 and I feel I am entitled to it, even if I dont purchase FSD".

Im just guessing, but suspect that is what they are talking about. Not "I purchased FSD and havent been upgraded yet" which is the question you are answering.

Reactions: Kamban
It's a start....... just break up FSD in pieces and make it transfarable (or cheap enough so you just write it off). You want HW3 or HW4, buy it (non-tranferable anyway).

I do not need autopark and summon on the highway (what's the logic? ).

Last edited:
The only thing that makes sense to me is that they are not confident enough in the product to allow people to trial it.

If you offer everyone a free trial when they get the car, or the opportunity to subscribe for one month at a time, you could end up losing all the buyers that pay for it upfront sight unseen and end up not thinking it was worth the money.

Also crazy to me that it's not on every loaner. There is close to zero incremental cost to put it on every loaner as a way to market the product, yet they don't.

If you have confidence in your product, you should be begging/paying people to try it.
Provided you get a loaner new enough for it to have FSD on it or even just any loaner for that matter.