Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP HW2 - my experience thus far... [DJ Harry]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I was one of the 1000 who got the software update. I have no experience with AP1. But here is my experience with EAP.

Let me start with things I do not like and you should be cautious.

1. It accelerates to "max speed" too quickly.: If a car on the freeway moves left or right and leaves a large opening for you, Model accelerates really fast to catch up with the next available obstacle...obviously completely ignoring a lane change indicator vehicles on either side that are tightly packed . Since the gap was large, it eventually slowed down. I wonder what would have happened if it was slow moving traffic and a space suddenly opened up. I would like to have a setting that says - reach TACC max speed ( slow | medium | high) . You would only use high in a wide open freeway on long trips.
  2. Disengaging TACC accidentally by hitting the break and not realizing you did so is dangerous! Right now when TACC is engaged I'm driving with my foot hovering over the break pedal. Extremely uncomfortable, but there is no other way! As a result. there was this one time when I accidentally hit the break , I assumed TACC was slowing down for the car in front ( regenerative braking kicked in ) , I did not occur to me to look for the blue circle on the dash that tells if if TACC was enable. I was focusing on car ahead only to realize that I was in creep mode. Now I look for the blue circle if it starts slowing down.

Now the EAP experience that I loved so far.

1. I love the clever shortcuts on TACC to get to various cruising speeds . (e.g current speed , max speed, previous speed) ,
  2. Also love the fact that accelerating doesn't disengage TACC and brings you back to the previous set speed.
  3. The slight auto acceleration when you put on the left indicator to overtake is smart. I only tired this when I had sufficient room on a not so heavy traffic freeway. Do not want to try this in thicker traffic! Im not that adventurous.
  4. EAP disengaged when one of my camera got a covered by slush ( it rained here) . I cleaned all cameras and it was backup again. I like that it errs on the side of caution if one of the sensors is not at 100%

With good judgment and appropriate use -I can see my self use TACC a lot more than Auto Steer.
With my 100 odd miles of driving over the past few days it hasn't yet highlighted auto steer.

Overall I think with common sense and caution I would say this is ready for a larger population release as long folks dont expect and do crazy things. Its also funny that now I'm looking forward to traffic to try out my EAP ..be cautious if a stop sign comes up!

The day I got the update I just came home after a 1200 mile road trip :) Too bad did not have it then, but again not complaining - loved driving the car "the old fashioned way" . I kind of also feel lucky that I'm getting to experience the tesla as its getting feature rich :)

Hi All,

I was one of the 1000 who got the software update. I have no experience with AP1. But here is my experience with EAP.

1. It accelerates to "max speed" too quickly.: If a car on the freeway moves left or right and leaves a large opening for you, Model accelerates really fast to catch up with the next available obstacle...obviously completely ignoring a lane change indicator vehicles on either side that are tightly packed . Since the gap was large, it eventually slowed down. I wonder what would have happened if it was slow moving traffic and a space suddenly opened up. I would like to have a setting that says - reach TACC max speed ( slow | medium | high) . You would only use high in a wide open freeway on long trips.
  2. Disengaging TACC accidentally by hitting the break and not realizing you did so is dangerous! Right now when TACC is engaged I'm driving with my foot hovering over the break pedal. Extremely uncomfortable, but there is no other way! As a result. there was this one time when I accidentally hit the break , I assumed TACC was slowing down for the car in front ( regenerative braking kicked in ) , I did not occur to me to look for the blue circle on the dash that tells if if TACC was enable. I was focusing on car ahead only to realize that I was in creep mode. Now I look for the blue circle if it starts slowing down.

1. I love the clever shortcuts on TACC to get to various cruising speeds . (e.g current speed , max speed, previous speed) ,
  2. Also love the fact that accelerating doesn't disengage TACC and brings you back to the previous set speed.
  3. The slight auto acceleration when you put on the left indicator to overtake is smart. I only tired this when I had sufficient room on a not so heavy traffic freeway. Do not want to try this in thicker traffic! Im not that adventurous.
  4. EAP disengaged when one of my camera got a covered by slush ( it rained here) . I cleaned all cameras and it was backup again. I like that it errs on the side of caution if one of the sensors is not at 100%

With good judgment and appropriate use -I can see my self use TACC a lot more than Auto Steer.
With my 100 odd miles of driving over the past few days it hasn't yet highlighted auto steer.

Overall I think with common sense and caution I would say this is ready for a larger population release as long folks dont expect and do crazy things. Its also funny that now I'm looking forward to traffic to try out my EAP ..be cautious if a stop sign comes up!

The day I got the update I just came home after a 1200 mile road trip :) Too bad did not have it then, but again not complaining - loved driving the car "the old fashioned way" . I kind of also feel lucky that I'm getting to experience the tesla as its getting feature rich :)
Any changes to summon?

So can it drive it self to an address and navigate city streets and take freeway on and on ramps to follow the nav course? i.e. can it do what was demoed a few months back????
Much of that is the fully self driving capability and Tesla has already said that won't be available for another year at the earliest

Can't wait for someone who has used AP1 extensively to test the current state of AP2.

Just to see if AP2 is acting differently than the behavior AP1 owners are used to. Like I don't have any issues with how fast TACC (in AP1) gets up to speed. It's a pretty average hu-hum acceleration that most seem happy with. So I don't know why they would mess with that.

Much of that is the fully self driving capability and Tesla has already said that won't be available for another year at the earliest
yep..
I have AP 1.0... But I also think an acceleration setting would be helpful...

Congrats on being one of the first 1,000 to get to try AP 2.0. Many of the people here probably would have paid an unreasonable sum to be in that position!
Totally... I suspect they looked for users with relatively high miles and my timely road trip helped. I also used the "regular" cruise control a lot during the roadtrip.. im guessing that qualified me for the TAAC testing :)

Hi All,

Hi Harry,

I got the firmware as well and wanted to comment on your experiences.

1.) I honestly think TACC speed settings would add just one more layer of complexity. Cars on the side just need to be aware that Teslas are really damn fast and they should plan on changing lanes behind you. As far as how TACC will behave:

a.) Large gap with no object in front. Max acceleration, and slow down once a moving object is in front.
b.) Small gap (assuming small gap means object in front). It will accelerate either slowly or quickly depending on if the gap gets smaller or bigger. Once TACC locks on, it will adjust speed accordingly to match the distance profile (1-7). It wont gun it if an object is close by.

2.) Rather than hover your foot on the brake, plant it on the ground in front of the brake pedal. You will release relax more, release tension on your body, reduce fatigue and most importantly, free up your posture so you can be more like a captain. Scanning around for the big picture.

If needed, just raise your foot and bring it down on the brake.

2.) Rather than hover your foot on the brake, plant it on the ground in front of the brake pedal. You will release relax more, release tension on your body, reduce fatigue and most importantly, free up your posture so you can be more like a captain. Scanning around for the big picture.

BE THE CAPTAIN.

I also got EAP functional yesterday and have driven about 50 miles. TACC worked great untill one scarry situation today. I had TACC enabled at set to 65 mph and the car being tracked in the dash took the exit. There was no car in the dash being tracked and I could see standing traffic ahead but the car did not slow down untill i took control and applied brakes...

so for your point 1a, what is the expected behavior if there is no moving vehicle (but standstill traffic)...does TACC stop the car or not?

Hi Harry,

I got the firmware as well and wanted to comment on your experiences.

1.) I honestly think TACC speed settings would add just one more layer of complexity. Cars on the side just need to be aware that Teslas are really damn fast and they should plan on changing lanes behind you. As far as how TACC will behave:

a.) Large gap with no object in front. Max acceleration, and slow down once a moving object is in front.
b.) Small gap (assuming small gap means object in front). It will accelerate either slowly or quickly depending on if the gap gets smaller or bigger. Once TACC locks on, it will adjust speed accordingly to match the distance profile (1-7). It wont gun it if an object is close by.

If needed, just raise your foot and bring it down on the brake.

I also got EAP functional yesterday and have driven about 50 miles. TACC worked great untill one scarry situation today. I had TACC enabled at set to 65 mph and the car being tracked in the dash took the exit. There was no car in the dash being tracked and I could see standing traffic ahead but the car did not slow down untill i took control and applied brakes...

so for your point 1a, what is the expected behavior if there is no moving vehicle (but standstill traffic)...does TACC stop the car or not?

In the current revision TACC is only designed to track MOVING cars. If there is standstill traffic in front of you then you'll have to brake manually.

Imagine you're driving a device that can only see things that move. If it hasn't seen it move it's 100% blind to it.

TACC behavior is discussed extensively here:

8.0 (2.50.185) caution using TACC/Autosteer features

No moving vehicle, brick wall, edge of the flat earth, AP1 and AP2(current version) runs right through it.

In the current revision TACC is only designed to track MOVING cars. If there is standstill traffic in front of you then you'll have to brake manually.

Imagine you're driving a device that can only see things that move. If it hasn't seen it move it's 100% blind to it.
That's kind of odd because when I drive through roads with cars parked on the curb, the dash shows those car icons as if they are on the adjacent lanes. So it sees them, just doesn't act on them.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and MXWing