Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP HW2 - my experience thus far... [DJ Harry]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a little confused by the failure to identify stopped cars. I know that is how AP1 works, but it's also one of its most dangerous issues.

I thought the entire point of "enhanced" AP was that they had solved this issue. Remember the whole "we don't need lidar" thing? Lidar tells you where there is a stationary object and when it's in your path vs off to the side. But the claim was they had determined they could do the same with cameras and didn't need it.

Perhaps it's on the way, but it's a little confusing.

I'm a little confused by the failure to identify stopped cars. I know that is how AP1 works, but it's also one of its most dangerous issues.

I thought the entire point of "enhanced" AP was that they had solved this issue. Remember the whole "we don't need lidar" thing? Lidar tells you where there is a stationary object and when it's in your path vs off to the side. But the claim was they had determined they could do the same with cameras and didn't need it.

Perhaps it's on the way, but it's a little confusing.
If that's all that confuses you, you're way ahead of most of us. The whole concept of removing AP1, but not having AP2 able to do anything at all for many months is more than a little confusing.

.. and the whining continues..

There is no car out there that will stop for a stationary 'unknown' obstacle. I challenge anyone to position their latest MB SUV in front of a wall and press the accelerator.

Cars will do an emergency stopping only if it is 100% sure that it is a car, human or other well known objects. If the cars reacted for every reflection that came from a stationery object, then you will see emergency braking every day, all day at every bend and at every over pass and every parked car in a bend, or for a tree on a bend

Lets not over react here.

Reactions: GeekfromFRL

There is no car out there that will stop for a stationary 'unknown' obstacle. I challenge anyone to position their latest MB SUV in front of a wall and press the accelerator.

Cars will do an emergency stopping only if it is 100% sure that it is a car, human or other well known objects. If the cars reacted for every reflection that came from a stationery object, then you will see emergency braking every day, all day at every bend and at every over pass and every parked car in a bend, or for a tree on a bend

It's not really about what other cars can/not do. Tesla is supposed to do what others can't, right? They tout about the super computers / AI, their data, their new Tesla vision hardware... and they can't solve it? What's the point then?

It's not really about what other cars can/not do. Tesla is supposed to do what others can't, right? They tout about the super computers / AI, their data, their new Tesla vision hardware... and they can't solve it? What's the point then?

They haven't solved it *yet*. The new hardware has existed for what? 3 months? And their original "expected" timeframe for reaching parity with AP1 was just 6 days ago. Let's give it, say, a year, before we start claiming they're incapable of solving that issue.

Hi All,

I was one of the 1000 who got the software update. I have no experience with AP1. But here is my experience with EAP.

Let me start with things I do not like and you should be cautious.

1. It accelerates to "max speed" too quickly.: If a car on the freeway moves left or right and leaves a large opening for you, Model accelerates really fast to catch up with the next available obstacle...obviously completely ignoring a lane change indicator vehicles on either side that are tightly packed . Since the gap was large, it eventually slowed down. I wonder what would have happened if it was slow moving traffic and a space suddenly opened up. I would like to have a setting that says - reach TACC max speed ( slow | medium | high) . You would only use high in a wide open freeway on long trips.
  2. Disengaging TACC accidentally by hitting the break and not realizing you did so is dangerous! Right now when TACC is engaged I'm driving with my foot hovering over the break pedal. Extremely uncomfortable, but there is no other way! As a result. there was this one time when I accidentally hit the break , I assumed TACC was slowing down for the car in front ( regenerative braking kicked in ) , I did not occur to me to look for the blue circle on the dash that tells if if TACC was enable. I was focusing on car ahead only to realize that I was in creep mode. Now I look for the blue circle if it starts slowing down.

Now the EAP experience that I loved so far.

1. I love the clever shortcuts on TACC to get to various cruising speeds . (e.g current speed , max speed, previous speed) ,
  2. Also love the fact that accelerating doesn't disengage TACC and brings you back to the previous set speed.
  3. The slight auto acceleration when you put on the left indicator to overtake is smart. I only tired this when I had sufficient room on a not so heavy traffic freeway. Do not want to try this in thicker traffic! Im not that adventurous.
  4. EAP disengaged when one of my camera got a covered by slush ( it rained here) . I cleaned all cameras and it was backup again. I like that it errs on the side of caution if one of the sensors is not at 100%

With good judgment and appropriate use -I can see my self use TACC a lot more than Auto Steer.
With my 100 odd miles of driving over the past few days it hasn't yet highlighted auto steer.

Overall I think with common sense and caution I would say this is ready for a larger population release as long folks dont expect and do crazy things. Its also funny that now I'm looking forward to traffic to try out my EAP ..be cautious if a stop sign comes up!

The day I got the update I just came home after a 1200 mile road trip :) Too bad did not have it then, but again not complaining - loved driving the car "the old fashioned way" . I kind of also feel lucky that I'm getting to experience the tesla as its getting feature rich :)

What distance setting were you on?

(the end of the TACC stalk rotates to increase/decrease distance. On AP1 cars you have options of 1-7, probably the same on AP2.)

At one point, I was arguing for a acceleration profile setting like you're describing; after some reflection, I think the distance setting is enough:

Presumably, anyone who sets the car to distance one is looking for an aggressive acceleration/deceleration profile - as close as the car can safely manage to holding the exact minimum safe distance behind the car in front no matter how that car moves.

Similarly, someone who sets the car to 7 is clearly looking for a smooth, relaxed experience with minimal connection to the cars around them.

I haven't seen clear evidence of it happening, but what I'd like to see is Tesla adjusting the car's acceleration and braking behavior based on the distance setting (along with changing the target distance, of course.) the closer you set, the quicker it becomes in reacting to the environment and the less smooth it is (which is handy, because when it comes to braking that's pretty much what's required for safety anyway.)

Lidar does not tell what is in your path. Lidar cannot see lane lines so it has no idea about your trajectory.

Reactions: bhzmark
Not true. TACC works perfectly in stop and go traffic for me and the car in front is tracked even when it's completely stopped. I think you mean that the car must be moving to start tracking. However that is not required for emergency braking to engage even with TACC completely off.

I didn't say it didn't work great in stop, and go traffic. I just meant that the radar has to have the opportunity to start tracking the car, and for this to happen it has to move. Once it moves then it can track it.

So in stop and go traffic where things move, and then stop everything is fine.

But, if you suddenly encountered stopped traffic the radar might not see the car.

Reactions: jdw
I dont understand what is so difficult. I had adaptive cruise control on my 2005 Cadillac STS, Its 12 years later and Tesla is still having issues with ACC? I can understand Auto-Steer being complicated but braking and accelerating should not be that difficult with all the tech built into these cars.

For as long as adaptive cruise control has existed there have been problems with the various implementations.

Some implementations are prone to seeing the car next to you in a corner, and slowing down unexpectedly.

Some implementations are prone to false positives. This happens on Subaru's Eyesight system occasionally because it's a fully vision based system.

Some implementations are prone to starting/stopping to quickly annoying the driver.

On all the radar based implementations that I'm aware of the radar cannot see stopped obstructions such as a stalled car.

I'm not sure if MB can, but the Subaru Eyesight system can stop for a stationary car.

Of course it's prone to more false positives than other systems. So in some ways its really a double edged sword.

Probably slams into it, but it does recognize it.

.. which is what Tesla will also do at this time. It will create a loud Collision warning chime. And that has saved me from collision a few times when I slammed the brakes myself.

In every car that I have driven with ACC, nothing compares to the smooth acceleration and deceleration that we see in a Tesla AP1 on stop and go traffic. When you combine that with the precise lane tracking and steering, Tesla's AP is miles ahead of the competition.

So go relax and enjoy your AP1. Well AP2 folks have to wait a while to get there, but you will get there and go beyond. Just a little of patience is what is needed now.

Reactions: GeekfromFRL