Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP now $7000 after purchase and “price subject to change”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes me glad I added it at purchase. I almost held out and was thinking of adding it in the spring with part of the tax credit but the, then, $1,000 premium and the fact that I could use the credit to pay off higher interest debt made it an easy call. This news just confirms that, for once, I made the right decision :D

Reactions: MP3Mike
That certainly will the case for me and, I suspect, a lot of other price conscious buyers who are opting for the MR or still holding out for the SR. At $6,000, I was open to adding EAP at a later date if the technology improves to the point that it becomes attractive to me. At $7,000 or potentially higher, it's a no-deal for me and a loss of additional revenue for Tesla.

Everything with our purchase was extremely smooth, except the AP pricing games are eye roll inducing.

To qualify for a state rebate I removed AP to bring down the purchase price with the plan to get EAP after delivery at some point. At the time they offered it for $5500 by Sept. 24, but no car existed for us and the date came and went. I hoped the deal would still be valid for say two weeks from purchase, but no dice. Picked up the car recently and didn't feel much urgency at $6000 given the current capabilities. At $7,000, which is what it now says it would be, we're just not going to ever buy it.

I think this is all about the $35k Model 3. By widening the gap between time of sale and after sale pricing, they're compelling more people to buy EAP with the car. This is especially true with the warning that the after purchase price is subject to change. Adding $5k to a $35k loan is relatively painless, certainly much less painful than adding $7k later, something that seems very unlikely for folks buying a $35k car.

In short, this will help ensure that as many $35k Model 3's as possible are actually sold at $40k.

Reactions: trisk and MXWing
This is ridiculous, this pretty much seals the deal that I will not add it at a later time since I already have the car but not Autopilot enabled. I rarely if ever would have a need for it and in my case it would have been a cool tech demo, but now it is no longer a go.

Reactions: webdbbt and GregRF
Ok I’ll bite.

So much for that Lemur order.....

Jumped to white $2k, LR $4k and now AP $5k.

Yikes..... the white though was the best call from black, saw one last night and reaffirmed.

All those additions above however can be recaptured somewhat if resale occur.

Last edited:
I saw this @ Electrek:

For existing owners, the price should still be $6,000 since many of them didn’t buy it thinking that they could do it later for $6,000 when Tesla actually delivers the features it’s promising under Enhanced Autopilot.

Tesla said it would honor the price when it did the same thing with ‘Full Self-Driving Capability’ package, but it never corrected in the ‘Tesla Account’ of many existing owners and some reported having a lot of issues actually getting the price.
Hopefully that is true.

As long as Tesla doesn't have any real competition, they can charge top dollar, only constrained by what their customers will put up with. If (or possibly when) there is some real competition, or their market segment saturates, they'll have to go back to competitive market based pricing.

That will not be happening for awhile is my guess.

Reactions: COrocket and outie
According to my Tesla login, I can buy EAP for $7000 or EAP/FSD for $10,000 for my 2016 S whereas it would be $7000 and $12,000 for my ten months old Model 3. Crazy stuff. I don’t want either one — at least until FSD is truly full self driving — but it’s kind of interesting to watch the prices bounce.

As noted in a post above, I might be able to get EAP for $6000 per car grandfathered in, but that’s $12,000 I can spend on a lot of higher priorities.

This is ridiculous, this pretty much seals the deal that I will not add it at a later time since I already have the car but not Autopilot enabled. I rarely if ever would have a need for it and in my case it would have been a cool tech demo, but now it is no longer a go.
If you are new to owning a Tesla, be assured no one can predict future pricing. I paid $2000 for my S60 to 75 upgrade that formerly cost $6000 at purchase and $9000 after purchase. I still remember reading posts here how dumb people were who didn’t grab the great $6000 deal when buying the car. Will the same thing happen with EAP and FSD? No one knows but I am in the same boat as you. I don’t care about the features but might change my mind if Tesla ever makes me a deal I can’t refuse. Fortunately I plan to keep both cars for at least ten years so there is no rush.

Reactions: COrocket
There have been so many posts about how the smart thing to do is hold off ordering FSD until it was released and proved it self worthy.

Now that some really cool features have been announced, and original FSD owners will be given the next super capable computer upgrade for free, perhaps many are rethinking that advice.

Tesla has indicated that a new, more powerfully chipped computer will be required to fully integrate FSD, perhaps that is why the price has gone up. Kinda makes sense. The faithful that put their money down early will be well rewarded.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I think all of these pricing games Tesla plays are a fascinating experiment in consumer behavior. Thousands of dollar swings in paint, performance upgrades, AWD, etc. Folks who already purchase X come to gloat when the price of X goes up, and come here to piss and moan when X goes down.

I don't have EAP. I do have a vehicle with 8 cameras and all the necessary hardware to support EAP. I am 1 bit away from EAP. Tesla knows this is un-captured value. One day soon, they will lure away my money (for the right price) at 100% profit (the margin hit on the car purchase for the EAP hardware is sunk cost for them). It won't be at $7000 or even $5500. Stay strong my non-EAP friends. Our day is coming... :)

There have been so many posts about how the smart thing to do is hold off ordering FSD until it was released and proved it self worthy.

Now that some really cool features have been announced, and original FSD owners will be given the next super capable computer upgrade for free, perhaps many are rethinking that advice.

Tesla has indicated that a new, more powerfully chipped computer will be required to fully integrate FSD, perhaps that is why the price has gone up. Kinda makes sense. The faithful that put their money down early will be well rewarded.
The Faithful? Good lord. The rest of us that own Teslas without these features are what, The Poor Disbelievers? As for being “rewarded,” read my previous post about buyers who are so cocky about future pricing. Neither you nor I have any clue what pricing will be tomorrow or next year.

Just like those faithful owners who bought the PUP for their P3Ds?

The EAP price increase must help tesla streamline the production process ;)

I purposely didn't get EAP as I was going to drive Model 3 more.

I can justify up to $5,500+tax for EAP in case I desire to be driven than to drive.

But $7,000+tax? With Tax, Tesla is pushing it to almost $8,000. Let's see how many people will buy it at that price. Chances are slim.

We may have deja vu of what Model S Software Battery Upgrade ($9K to $2K, or free), although we know it is less likely to dip below $5K.

Reactions: fiatlux