Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP now $7000 after purchase and “price subject to change”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purposely didn't get EAP as I was going to drive Model 3 more.

I can justify up to $5,500+tax for EAP in case I desire to be driven than to drive.

But $7,000+tax? With Tax, Tesla is pushing it to almost $8,000. Let's see how many people will buy it at that price. Chances are slim.

We may have deja vu of what Model S Software Battery Upgrade ($9K to $2K, or free), although we know it is less likely to dip below $5K.
Is it possible that you’ll get the whole enchilada at that price?

Hey,

I am having a seriously hard time adding EAP. I emailed my sales person a week ago and she would look into it. Nothing of yet has indicated that she was successful. My 4th delivery date is next Friday. Was it easy for you guys to add EAP? I also asked her to enter a referral code, so I can get 6months of supercharging. I wondering if that is holding it up. Thanks.

Lol @Carotene

The take rate at 6000 or even 5000 is going to be terrible post purchase. The price raise is not to push post purchasers out but to push new purchasers in.

Tesla has little incentive to hunt EAP purchases from the initial 30,000 Model 3s that skipped it.

The bigger fish is the 300,000 customers yet to even order a Model 3. More than 30,000 marginal purposes will happen at 5000 because they are scared of 7,000+

Oh and the 30,000 EAP less Model 3s in the field? When they come back to Tesla they unlock for free allowing Tesla to resell the EAP enabled car cheap. They sell the same car twice, crushing anyone trying to privately resell their Model 3.

Checkmate.

Last edited:
Lol @Carotene

The take rate at 6000 or even 5000 is going to be terrible post purchase. The price raise is not to push post purchasers out but to push new purchasers in.

Tesla has little incentive to hunt EAP purchases from the initial 30,000 Model 3s that skipped it.

The bigger fish is the 300,000 customers yet to even order a Model 3. More than 30,000 marginal purposes will happen at 5000 because they are scared of 7,000+

Oh and the 30,000 EAP less Model 3s in the field? When they come back to Tesla they unlock for free allowing Tesla to resell the EAP enabled car cheap. They sell the same car twice, crushing anyone trying to privately resell their Model 3.

Checkmate.

I’m sad to admit I was a post purchase at $5500, one of those 1-2%. I would definitely have bought it at original purchase if post purchase price was $7k at that time, I hope they do a behavioral economics study on this one day with their results. Stay strong those of you who can, maybe Tesla will offer it at $4k one day or even just offer AP1 equivalent at $2500–I remember struggling even when we got our X whether AP was worth that much back then!!

I was hoping i wouldn’t miss it so purposefully did not add it at original purchase, but my car was just not fulfilling its potential without autopilot.

I’m sad to admit I was a post purchase at $5500, one of those 1-2%. I would definitely have bought it at original purchase if post purchase price was $7k at that time, I hope they do a behavioral economics study on this one day with their results. Stay strong those of you who can, maybe Tesla will offer it at $4k one day or even just offer AP1 equivalent at $2500–I remember struggling even when we got our X whether AP was worth that much back then!!

I was hoping i wouldn’t miss it so purposefully did not add it at original purchase, but my car was just not fulfilling its potential without autopilot.

5500 is not bad at all. Better than 7000. Hope you got some good credit card points out of it.

I don't know if anyone has tried or is able to try and get 6000 out of Tesla. They are honoring 4000 for FSD because that was the original post delivery price.

I wish they had given at least a weeks notice.

I had an exact thought. Nobody likes the surprise, especially unpleasant one.

Even if Tesla announce in weeks advance, I would not pay $6K in the first place in fear that I would have to pay $7K at later time.

Many people say EAP is a must have feature. While I agree to the great extent, I question the value. I bought EAP for my Model S and Model X for convenience before the delivery, but in my opinion it is worth more like $2,500~$3,000 like when they charged for original AP 1.0 on Model S and Model X. It is hard to swallow $5K for AP 2.0 and 2.5 without the release of FSD with no clear scheduled timeline and then charging us $7K without even prior notice is sorta awkward and absurd move by Tesla.

Reactions: rrollens
I think it makes perfect sense to do this now. It pushes people on the fence that are ordering to include it, then at end of year they “discount it” and people afraid of the $7k price being the Normal price buy it.

I personally would love EAP but I can’t justify even $5k for it. I don’t see them discounting it below $5k, but I could see them getting close to it around end of December time frame.

For 5k, you can get a feature that keeps you from having half a heart attack when traffic goes from 80-0 in an instant and you are trying to find a station on the radio. That alone is worth it to me.
Never mind the autosteer, drive on nav, and whatever else.

You trust autopilot to stop for stationary objects so you can play with the radio? Bold strategy cotton

For 5k, you can get a feature that keeps you from having half a heart attack when traffic goes from 80-0 in an instant and you are trying to find a station on the radio. That alone is worth it to me.
Never mind the autosteer, drive on nav, and whatever else.
I have had many half heart attacks from using EAP where it tried to steer into the concrete barrier on freeways. But, it’s still helped me when I doze off a few seconds.

Well, I'm not optimistic for existing owners getting autopilot for the old price. So far, Elon hasn't said anything about it. According to the Tesla website, anybody who has already received the 14 day trial is likely ineligible for the latest 30 day trial (which provides a $5500 purchase price). Oh well, maybe for my next Tesla...

This is autopilot, not anonymous driving. It’s just like autopilot in an airplane. It’s fine 99% of the time, but during that 1% of the time, if you aren’t paying attention, it will kill you so fast you won’t know what happened.
Autopilot is meant to be closely monitored and reduce workload, not autonomously drive you.

This is autopilot, not anonymous driving. It’s just like autopilot in an airplane. It’s fine 99% of the time, but during that 1% of the time, if you aren’t paying attention, it will kill you so fast you won’t know what happened.
Autopilot is meant to be closely monitored and reduce workload, not autonomously drive you.

The above is true, you are always responsible for managing control of your vehicle. However I think there are definite advantages that justify the purchase (assuming the price is within reach). I'm also guilty of calling it autopilot, when I should really be calling it autosteer.

It significantly reduces your workload, so there is less fatigue. It reduces the stress of driving in traffic. And now apparently (haven't had a chance to experience it) it can pre-select the correct lane for you in an unfamiliar area, reducing last minute lane changes. There is also discussion that you are statistically less likely to be in a collision with autosteer engaged.