Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Users- Is it worth $5k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What else is slated for EAP?

I thought EAP is finished after releasing summons. Only FSD is not fished.
This is listed on the Tesla website as part of EAP.

On-ramp to Off-ramp
Once on the freeway, your Tesla will determine which lane you need to be in and when. In addition to ensuring you reach your intended exit, Autopilot will watch for opportunities to move to a faster lane when you're caught behind slower traffic. When you reach your exit, your Tesla will depart the freeway, slow down and transition control back to you.

• Informative
Reactions: ebmcs03 and Canuck
Well, if you plan to get FSD in the future you have to get EAP first anyway. That said, FSD is still a dice roll in my opinion. It might turn out that Tesla won't be able to get it to work safely without adding more hardware to the car. They say they can do it with the existing hardware, but until I see it operational, I'm not going to count on it. I think FSD is still two or more years away. Even after it comes out I'm going to wait a long time before I buy it to make sure there aren't any fatal problems uncovered IRL driving.

Reactions: Canuck
Again, you might not notice it for short and easy drives.

3) Tested the tech over a weekend in an X. While cool, found myself easily distracted doing other things (using phone apps, menu screen, etc...). This is ok in stop and go traffic, when you're stopped.

I think this is where you and many others are making the mistake of judging AP on short test drives. You won't understand why so many folks are raving about AP, in short test drives. Short test drives simply don't do justice for such a powerful capability. In fact it will have the opposite effect. You will feel more nervous and end up concluding that it is more stressful to baby sit AP then driving it yourself.

AP is like fine wine or coffee. You need to get used to it and you will love it. Another good example is to make someone ride a bicycle for just a minute who has never ridden one before. They will come away thinking walking is better than riding a bicycle

Well, if you plan to get FSD in the future you have to get EAP first anyway. That said, FSD is still a dice roll in my opinion. It might turn out that Tesla won't be able to get it to work safely without adding more hardware to the car. They say they can do it with the existing hardware, but until I see it operational, I'm not going to count on it. I think FSD is still two or more years away. Even after it comes out I'm going to wait a long time before I buy it to make sure there aren't any fatal problems uncovered IRL driving.
I believe those of us that got FSD are not thinking of waiting until FSD is actually fully complete with government approvals before they start getting use from it as you are suggesting. Like EAP we believe that we will see a benefit to FSD starting with the very first feature rollout scheduled for August. Over the next number of years I expect to really enjoy the FSD rollout like what is happening with EAP.

Reactions: Foxtrotter
I believe those of us that got FSD are not thinking of waiting until FSD is actually fully complete with government approvals before they start getting use from it as you are suggesting. Like EAP we believe that we will see a benefit to FSD starting with the very first feature rollout scheduled for August. Over the next number of years I expect to really enjoy the FSD rollout like what is happening with EAP.
So, are you saying that the next updates are only for FSD owners? I was under the impression that all updates will be added to EAP until some point where Tesla says, "This is a strictly FSD feature." Also, before you can declare "FSD" wouldn't all the pieces need to operational, I'd think if car is not completely FSD than it's EAP. You'd have a tough time with regulations if you kept have to get approval for partial FSD bits and pieces.

...You will feel more nervous and end up concluding that it is more stressful to baby sit AP then driving it yourself...

Very true indeed in my case! When I first used AP, I thought "this is no good!" I had to babysit the system! I kept looking down and stared at that instrument cluster instead of looking at the road! I kept nervously wait for an error message to scold me to "hold the steering wheel."

I quickly learned that was the wrong way and I only needed to apply a constant light torque to the steering wheel and I was good to go!

I would argue that eAP is a key part of that, making long road trips much easier, but it's all about what makes you happy. :)
Many have said that. I find road trips fun and the frequent Supercharger stops keep me far less fatigued than when I was doing the same trips in an ICE car, despite regular stops at roadside rest areas. However, I tend to drive highways with little traffic here in the Intermountain West, so just setting cruise and letting the car go is all it takes, save for occasional shifts to the left lane to pass a truck.

Driving heavy traffic, as is common on the densely populated coasts, would make EAP a lot more attractive, I would guess. For me, "heavy traffic" is a couple of times a year through Salt Lake City. Here at home, this is typical traffic:

US 550 Million Dollar Hwy1621edsf 3-19-16.jpg On the road to Gateway2003sf 4-9-18.jpg

So, are you saying that the next updates are only for FSD owners? I was under the impression that all updates will be added to EAP until some point where Tesla says, "This is a strictly FSD feature." Also, before you can declare "FSD" wouldn't all the pieces need to operational, I'd think if car is not completely FSD than it's EAP. You'd have a tough time with regulations if you kept have to get approval for partial FSD bits and pieces.
What is am saying is the "next FSD updates" which Elon said would start in August is for FSD Only customers. EAP features such as On-Ramp to Off-Ramp will of course continue to roll out to EAP Customers.

Not sure if you are purposely not getting it or not. But ELON did not say "I declare FSD" will be complete in August only that some of the "features" (his words) or "pieces" (my words) would "START" to roll out in August. Much like EAP has been rolling out EAP Features for some time. This is not that complicated.

Many have said that. I find road trips fun and the frequent Supercharger stops keep me far less fatigued than when I was doing the same trips in an ICE car, despite regular stops at roadside rest areas. However, I tend to drive highways with little traffic here in the Intermountain West, so just setting cruise and letting the car go is all it takes, save for occasional shifts to the left lane to pass a truck.

Driving heavy traffic, as is common on the densely populated coasts, would make EAP a lot more attractive, I would guess. For me, "heavy traffic" is a couple of times a year through Salt Lake City. Here at home, this is typical traffic:

View attachment 316650 View attachment 316651
I'd use EAP in that traffic. :)

A fellow Model 3 (soon to be) owner called Harrisburg. This has been confirmed by an independent 2nd source. In August, they are changing the language to include more Model 3s. If you subtract the cost of the long range battery ($9K) from your purchase price (including destination fee) and it is under $50K, you qualify for the $1750. You have 6 months from date of purchase to apply. The website has not been updated yet, so I'll keep checking and let you know.

I would be careful with that until its in writing. I specifically contacted them within the last month and they said that it is the absolute limit and the destination fee is included. They may change it in august, but that may not apply to previous deliveries.

At my company we have a Tesla discussion forum. Apparently there a lot of people who get stressed out driving cars, especially freeway driving (my wife is like that). For these people, having the EAP feature is an excellent addition to the car, it reduces their stress-level tremendously. Most of my trips consist of 3-mile commutes and 6-mile trips to drop off kids at after-school activities. And, I have always enjoyed driving, I have driven up to 1067 miles in a single day (Boston -> Champaign-Urbana, Illinois). I do NOT get stuck in stop-and-go traffic. Therefore, EAP does not add very much value for me.

At my company we have a Tesla discussion forum. Apparently there a lot of people who get stressed out driving cars, especially freeway driving (my wife is like that). For these people, having the EAP feature is an excellent addition to the car, it reduces their stress-level tremendously. Most of my trips consist of 3-mile commutes and 6-mile trips to drop off kids at after-school activities. And, I have always enjoyed driving, I have driven up to 1067 miles in a single day (Boston -> Champaign-Urbana, Illinois). I do NOT get stuck in stop-and-go traffic. Therefore, EAP does not add very much value for me.
The best thing about EAP is being able to choose not to be the one doing the grunt of the driving. The few times when I have driven the car manually, I've had a blast because the Model 3 is a really fun car to drive.

To reduce stress? :D

Truth be told, it is a lot of fun to drive curvy mountain roads in a Tesla — I'm not about to relinquish control to EAP!

This is what those roads I posted above look like on the navigation map:

View attachment 316698 View attachment 316699
That road does look like a lot of fun to drive. I would probably drive 30% of that manually.

EAP definitely does reduce stress. In addition, I'm very pro technology, so I want to use the tech in the car as much as I can. :)

I use it so much that I sometimes forget that I have to steer and wonder why the car isn't turning.

Right - same here. I used it so much in a loaner for a week, when I was deciding whether it was worth it to upgrade to get it after it first came out, then when it was off I still expected the car to react. I coined it "phantom Autopilot" in another thread here some time ago. That happens when it's off but your brain thinks it's still on -- since our brains are conditioned to look for patterns. I'm surprised more people haven't posted about this since I see it happening again to me again with our 3 which is another reason I often opt not to use it.

My son and I both got Tesla model 3's. I, having a limited budget, made the decision to trade off the EAP for the large battery (+ $9000 -$5000). My son, thinking he is Rockefeller, opted for both (he also works). I am retired and do not drive in stop and go traffic very often. My son drives in it every working day. He uses the Auto-pilot during his commute and loves it. I guess it depends on your budget and commuting situation. I am very happy being the pilot of my Tesla M3.