Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Users- Is it worth $5k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is am saying is the "next FSD updates" which Elon said would start in August is for FSD Only customers. EAP features such as On-Ramp to Off-Ramp will of course continue to roll out to EAP Customers.

Not sure if you are purposely not getting it or not. But ELON did not say "I declare FSD" will be complete in August only that some of the "features" (his words) or "pieces" (my words) would "START" to roll out in August. Much like EAP has been rolling out EAP Features for some time. This is not that complicated.
I'm not trying to purposely not understand. What I'm saying, I guess is where does EAP and FSD begin? That's all. I haven't been following Tesla's news on this as I just got my car two days ago with EAP. I decided to wait on FSD because I thought it would quite a while before it was truly "finished". When FSD is fully functional and proven safe I plan to pony up the $ for it.

I'm not trying to purposely not understand. What I'm saying, I guess is where does EAP and FSD begin? That's all. I haven't been following Tesla's news on this as I just got my car two days ago with EAP. I decided to wait on FSD because I thought it would quite a while before it was truly "finished". When FSD is fully functional and proven safe I plan to pony up the $ for it.

I mean, it's pretty simple... EAPs features (including the ramp to ramp bit not working yet) are all spelled out.

Everything beyond that- everything between fully functional FSD and what EAP does, is part of FSD. Individual bits of that will begin rolling out in August per Elon, even if the "full" in FSD takes longer.

How useful the bits that roll out in August are is what I'm going to base buying it on- since you can get it for the cheap price all the way to the moment you take delivery and all the delivery dates are Sept-Nov right now for AWD.

...where does EAP and FSD begin...

I am not sure how many cameras are activated now but EAP is promised with 4 while FSD is promised with 8.

It'll be a refreshing start for FSD if Tesla could start using 8 cameras for a change.

I am not sure which 4 cameras will EAP be got: Maybe two Forward Looking Side Cameras and maybe 2 out of trifocal front camera?

I am not sure how many cameras are activated now but EAP is promised with 4 while FSD is promised with 8.

It'll be a refreshing start for FSD if Tesla could start using 8 cameras for a change.

I am not sure which 4 cameras will EAP be got: Maybe two Forward Looking Side Cameras and maybe 2 out of trifocal front camera?

eAP uses the two longer front cameras and the two rear looking fender mounted cameras (well, actually, so far it only uses the two front cameras. At some point it'll start using the two fender cameras to assess the blind spots.)

The B-Pillar cameras are for handling intersections - checking for cross traffic. The front and rear wide angles are needed for low speed maneuvering in close confines like parking and city streets. Thus, there's no reason for eAP to use them.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
I think there's a lot of you out there who were brought to Tesla by way of AP. For me, it was all about the long range EV aspect -- since I bought before Tesla was even associated with AP, well except for the rumours on here about it, but not publicly at that time.

What I would like to know from you, is now that you've owned a Tesla or two, let's assume the regulators outlaw all AP, driver's assist, etc. so you could only buy a car based on its drivetrain and creature comforts. Would you buy another Tesla?

Yup, same here. I am a Leaf owner with PV, so I was more about long range EV and the SC network. Every other EV, even long range models, are practically extended range commuters without the SC network. I wasn't going to get EAP since it wouldn't be useful for most of my driving, but I work in IT and am interested in the tech, so couldn't pass it up. Might use it on the occasional trip if it handles mountainous freeway driving well enough.

Yup, same here. I am a Leaf owner with PV, so I was more about long range EV and the SC network. Every other EV, even long range models, are practically extended range commuters without the SC network. I wasn't going to get EAP since it wouldn't be useful for most of my driving, but I work in IT and am interested in the tech, so couldn't pass it up. Might use it on the occasional trip if it handles mountainous freeway driving well enough.
How does ProPilot compare to EAP?

How does ProPilot compare to EAP?

My Leaf is a '15 and I haven't driven one of the new ones yet. Most of what I've read says it's decent, like other OEMs, but not in the same league as Tesla AP. I'm sure it will improve since it's Nissan's first effort. My Leaf has been a very reliable, cheap commuter over nearly 3 years, so I can't fault Nissan there.

My Leaf is a '15 and I haven't driven one of the new ones yet. Most of what I've read says it's decent, like other OEMs, but not in the same league as Tesla AP. I'm sure it will improve since it's Nissan's first effort. My Leaf has been a very reliable, cheap commuter over nearly 3 years, so I can't fault Nissan there.
Yeah the Leaf is great if you just need a commuter.

I bought EAP since Autopilot was the whole point for buying the Tesla, but $5k is more than I think they should charge for it (it's their way of keeping the base price lower since the majority of people pay for the option). Most of the time I've been happy with EAP (even with the slow rollout for AP2.0), but since 2018.21.9, I actually hate it since it sucks at detecting my hands on the steering wheel and therefore nags me every 15 seconds.

I bought EAP since Autopilot was the whole point for buying the Tesla, but $5k is more than I think they should charge for it (it's their way of keeping the base price lower since the majority of people pay for the option). Most of the time I've been happy with EAP (even with the slow rollout for AP2.0), but since 2018.21.9, I actually hate it since it sucks at detecting my hands on the steering wheel and therefore nags me every 15 seconds.
Many threads on here discussing how best to hold the wheel for hand detection.
Needless to say it doesn’t detect hands or any other body part at all, it’s a torque detector.

Seems like it detects better after the update. It now properly say to put pressure instead of hold.

I'm surprised more people haven't posted about this since I see it happening again to me again with our 3 which is another reason I often opt not to use it.

When using it in our 3, I will also think it's on and when trying to cancel it, say while stopped or coming to a stop, I will tap up and accidentally put the car in reverse. It's happened to me 3 times already.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
Right - same here. I used it so much in a loaner for a week, when I was deciding whether it was worth it to upgrade to get it after it first came out, then when it was off I still expected the car to react. I coined it "phantom Autopilot" in another thread here some time ago. That happens when it's off but your brain thinks it's still on -- since our brains are conditioned to look for patterns. I'm surprised more people haven't posted about this since I see it happening again to me again with our 3 which is another reason I often opt not to use it.

Mode confusion is a well known phenomenon in Aviation, and the cause of a number of crashes especially in the 80s and 90s as sophisticated multimode Autopilots became common in commercial aviation.

My main strategy for avoiding it is to never drive with just TACC on if I can avoid it. Either my feet are on the pedals and I'm driving, or my feet aren't and it's steering. :)

AP and TACC are both excellent in their capabilities. My issue is the number of nags on the AP when I'm holding the wheel with two hands.

My preferred driving style on the highway is one hand bottom of the wheel. With this style, AP nags too frequently, while TACC works perfectly.

Around town in stop and go, TACC is a dream. With as quick and quiet as the M3 it is very easy to be going faster than you think and the speed limit. I am using TACC to prevent me from going too fast.

Mode confusion is very real. If TACC incorporated some type of lane keep with an audible alert, this could provide some safety and reminder the user that they are expected to steer. As it is, lane departure warns you AFTER you've departed your lane.

On the 3 you can't change gears unless you have your foot on the breaks as well.
Exactly which breaks? The ones in the concrete or asphalt road you're driving on? The breaks in the walls alongside the road? I'm slightly confused. I tend to apply my foot to the brake pedal when I want to shift gears in any of my cars.

Sorry. It's one of my pet peeves :) .

Reactions: Pkmmte
...eAP...

Elon Musk shuts down new FSD option on the web for 1 week due to "confusion".

Would anyone would update on the status of numbers of cameras between EAP and FSD?

The old page still says EAP spec can use 4 and FSD spec can use 8.

"This doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances,..."

New Version 9 page now says:

"Tesla cars with Full-Self-Driving hardware will now use all eight cameras, providing a 360-degree view of surrounding cars. This includes improved blind spot monitoring on the instrument panel which reflects the type of car in your blind spot, supplementing an already attentive driver...."

It seems to imply that owners don't have to pay for FSD to get the use of all 8 cameras as paying EAP would do the same as it also has "Full-Self-Driving hardware."