Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"50kW" stations are limited by output current, and it's more commonly in the 100 amp range, implying a rated voltage near 500v. Discharged 70 packs are well under 300 volts, so at a low SoC don't expect more than 32kW from these "50kW" stations. It's more like 1/3rd the speed of Supercharging, at least below 2/3 SoC.

That's a good point. So three hours then. Considering that a "100A" (actually 80A) Level II station can charge the car in about five hours, it's not that big a jump.

The "big deal" about the Chademo rollout is that they're all reasonably high power. Right now there are a lot more of the painfully slow 30A Level II stations out there than 80A stations.

It would take a 50 kW chargerat least twohours to fill a 100D. Due to tapering it would probably be two hours for an 85 or 90.

On my A-pack 85 kWh Model S, I'm lucky if I see 50 kW at a Supercharger. Unless my SOC is really, really low I typically see 30 - 50 kW when Supercharging. Now I realize newer cars do much better, but I probably won't see much of a difference at a 50 kW DC Quick than I would at a Supercharger.

On my A-pack 85 kWh Model S, I'm lucky if I see 50 kW at a Supercharger

We have cars nearly the same age and km driven with the original "A" revision battery pack.

My experiences supercharging are 88 kW sustained charging from 10%->40% SOC, and then gradually dropping to 40 kW near 65% SOC and then dropping to 30 kW near 85% SOC. We routinely arrive at superchargers with 15% range remaining, and almost always see 88 kW at this low battery state of charge. I can't recall starting a supercharge on our car when we had more than 40% SOC, perhaps a few times. We did experience strange behaviour at Barrie supercharger a month ago where we only saw 30 kW, the charging plug was hot, likely from a recent supercharge, so I touched each of the handles, picked the coldest one and moved to that charging spot, parked there, plugged in, and immediately saw 88 kW on the charge screen. As they say "it varies". Just my experiences, not meaning to counter yours except to note I've experienced different behaviour. Cheers!

Last edited:
We have cars nearly the same age and km driven with the original "A" revision battery pack.

My experiences supercharging are 88 kW sustained charging from 10%->40% SOC, and then gradually dropping to 40 kW near 65% SOC and then dropping to 30 kW near 85% SOC.

Unfortunately, not me. Even at 15% SOC I will see maybe 60 kW. I have another anomaly that I need to ask Tesla about again: I have never, ever, once had my cooling fans come on when Supercharging. Other cars are roaring like jets on takeoff and mine just sits there perfectly silently. Even on my recent road trip with ambient temps of 95 F+ and pulling into a Supercharger after 2+ hours on the road... no fan action. The front louvers don't even open. I asked Service about this about 2 years ago and was told not to worry about it. The fans will come on if needed, but I am starting to get concerned.

Unfortunately, not me. Even at 15% SOC I will see maybe 60 kW. I have another anomaly that I need to ask Tesla about again: I have never, ever, once had my cooling fans come on when Supercharging. Other cars are roaring like jets on takeoff and mine just sits there perfectly silently

Can confirm that our Tesla screams loudly with the fan at max when supercharging at ~90 kW even in the winter.
Although, there may be something to the power utilisation leading up to the supercharging, I tend to be a left lane driver if you get my drift...which may increase battery temperatures prior to getting off the highway to charge...

Reactions: mknox
Unfortunately, not me. Even at 15% SOC I will see maybe 60 kW. I have another anomaly that I need to ask Tesla about again: I have never, ever, once had my cooling fans come on when Supercharging. Other cars are roaring like jets on takeoff and mine just sits there perfectly silently. Even on my recent road trip with ambient temps of 95 F+ and pulling into a Supercharger after 2+ hours on the road... no fan action. The front louvers don't even open. I asked Service about this about 2 years ago and was told not to worry about it. The fans will come on if needed, but I am starting to get concerned.
Hmmm...sounds like you are boasting...mostly everyone has been complaining that their cars are too loud! :confused:

If you're complaining that your car is too silent, then I feel sorry for Tesla. It's going to be difficult for them to find the "Goldilock Zone" for compressor sound level. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, if my car did that, I too would be interested in knowing what is going on. Is the charging being limited due to heat build up because the cooling isn't working? Or is it just a limitation of the A battery? Let us know what you find out.

• Funny
Reactions: SSD420
During university reunion in Kingston over weekend, we needed to charge twice at Kingston supercharger.

Please note two of the chargers are down.

1A is missing it's charging cable
2A is not working.

All working units were in use both times we were there.

Advised Tesla of problem.
Just wondering.
1) If 1A is missing the charge cable, does 1B automatically go dead because they are linked?
2) How does a charge cable go missing? Did some idiot risk electrocution to steal it?

• Funny
Reactions: SSD420
Are 6 chargers (assuming all working) enough on this important thoroughfare? Pretty much anyone from Ottawa heading to Toronto would charge up here I assume?

During university reunion in Kingston over weekend, we needed to charge twice at Kingston supercharger.

2A is not working.

Was at Port Hope a couple of days ago and there was at least one down there too, but it's not too busy right now.

On my way out, on Wednesday, Cornwall was completely down. No power to the meter. I reported it of course, as I was basically stranded, and they got power back to it within an hour or two. The icon eventually showed "temporarily down" or something and then finally I saw it go back online on the Nav (pretty neat) and rushed back over from the only free L2.

It was a bad omen on my way out on a long driving trip, and seeing the missing cable at Kingston and the (2 or 3 ?? I can't remember) stalls down at Port Hope I sure hope they have a long term service strategy for these things.

Kingston probably also needs a 2nd location.

And Ottawa, that is just a weird omission.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
In addition to missing cable at Kingston port 3A was charging at 30Kw max last week. Handle is getting hot very and slows down charging. I believe Superchargers require scheduled maintenance (cable replacement) which is not properly done in Ontario. Metal part on the handle is actually melted into plastic housing of the handle.

In addition to missing cable at Kingston port 3A was charging at 30Kw max last week. Handle is getting hot very and slows down charging

I've seen this behaviour before. I have tested the handle temperatures (by hand) and when I find the "coldest" handle, these charging spots generally charge faster than those with "hot handles". It may be that a car recently charged in the hot handle spot, and the charging equipment may require a cool off period before going full speed again...I can't be sure, but that's what I've noticed.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca

2A is not working.

I was also also in Kingston over the weekend and also called Tesla to inform them of the two chargers that were down. All 4 were in use when I was there and a Model X was waiting. Another Model X had just left who had gotten a ride from another car so they had probably been charging for a while. Another owner had been gone for hours and was full. With only 4 chargers functional it would be courteous for owners to stay close to their car or leave a number. I think Kingston needs 8!