Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America general discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have to get more money to do the repairs of course.
On this note, I noticed one of the EA stations I normally visit on road trips disappeared off the EA app. I hated this station becuase half the stalls have been busted for at least 2 years... On PlugShare, there's a post from EA saying they took the whole station offline to remove and replace all the chargers.

On this note, I noticed one of the EA stations I normally visit on road trips disappeared off the EA app. I hated this station becuase half the stalls have been busted for at least 2 years... On PlugShare, there's a post from EA saying they took the whole station offline to remove and replace all the chargers.
Yes. This has been happening in a lot of places. They seem to be removing EA's ABB chargers and replacing them with next gen dispensers. I'm guessing the chargers themselves (in the cabinets) are also being replaced.

is an example. They tweet about them at https://twitter.com/ElectrifyAm/. Harden Ranch Plaza | PlugShare should be it but Plugshare's web site is giving me probs right now. They tend to leave the old CCS + CHAdeMO dispenser there, so there a physical mismatch. You can see that in their tweets like the Santa Clarita one.

I've physically used Harden Ranch Walmart in Salinas post-upgrade. You can see from old Plugshare pics what the old ABB dispensers look like vs. the new next gen ones. I've used Santa Clarita at least twice pre-upgrade (over a year ago).

I also got the email.

"The price per-minute will increase from $0.12 to $0.15 for up to 90 kW, or $0.24 to $0.29 for up to 350 kW"

The new pricing for per kWh and per minute goes into effect March 6. I can post a screenshot much later tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it.

As much as I don't like price increases, I think I've gotten a lot more free juice from EA vs. what I've actually paid or.

Last edited:
Whoops. I never got around to the screenshot. Here's part of it from another email I got from them on the increase on 2/24/23.

Gilroy Premium Outlets (3) | PlugShare which I've used before had ABB chargers and those are in the pics. From the check-ins, next gen ones have arrived but they aren't online yet.

Attachments

• ea-price-increase2.png
    ea-price-increase2.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 64
As much as I don't like price increases, I think I've gotten a lot more free juice from EA vs. what I've actually paid or.
You get what you pay for.
This ghetto cheap unsustainably frugal attitude is a lot of why non-Tesla EVs are going to suffer with poor infrastructure for a long time to come. There is no infrastructure fairy. Infrastructure actually does cost real money. Someone has to pay for it. If it isn't those who actually use it, it becomes a travesty as those who do not benefit have to foot the bill.

You get what you pay for.
This ghetto cheap unsustainably frugal attitude is a lot of why non-Tesla EVs are going to suffer with poor infrastructure for a long time to come. There is no infrastructure fairy. Infrastructure actually does cost real money. Someone has to pay for it. If it isn't those who actually use it, it becomes a travesty as those who do not benefit have to foot the bill.

By your logic, he (and me TBH) clearly got more than what he paid for, compare to everyone else who didn’t take the free charging advantage of EA’s failure.

By your logic, he (and me TBH) clearly got more than what he paid for, compare to everyone else who didn’t take the free charging advantage of EA’s failure.
I'm not sure what your point is.
My point is that this is not sustainable and will result in unreliable charging networks for the foreseeable future unless you (or someone else) pays for it.

My point is that this is not sustainable and will result in unreliable charging networks for the foreseeable future unless you (or someone else) pays for it.
If free DCFC is a promotion, it doesn’t need to be sustainable, and clearly it can’t be. Taking advantage of it is the point of the promotion.
There are probably many cases where free L2 is sustainable. It may be what gets people to shop, dine, see movies etc. at that location Instead of another.

Reactions: COS Blue

My point is he got more than what he paid for, and you I assume and everyone else got less. unreliable charging networks are the fault of the networks not the people taking the free charges from them.

unreliable charging networks
are the fault of unsustainable business cases and/or incompetence.
not the people taking the free charges from them
True, but I'm just saying that if someone doesn't pay for them, they have no place to grouse about them and its hardly a good position for trying to convince someone else (in this case Tesla) to pay for them for you.
We early Tesla owners bought expensive cars (at great financial risk that could have bought a lot of resort time in Cancun) and most of us also bought stock in the company because we realized it would drive the EV market, that we so badly needed, along.
I just wish I saw more non-Tesla EV drivers supporting getting more EVs on the road instead of acting entitled as if someone else should provide it all for them.

Reactions: wws
Not looking good for Electrify America. They’re dead last in Q1 2023 installs. What is @Mockingbird’s positive spin on this?

In California at least, I've switched over to use EA almost exclusively - the pricing difference is hard to ignore. 36c/kWh versus 45+ is too high - it adds up quickly on road trips which I do often, e.g. 50kWh saves at least about $4.50 per charge, which already exceeds the monthly subscription. I just wish they had remained at 31c/kWh, but I guess that is too much to ask with inflation and rising electricity costs.

Besides, I've not really noticed any significant uptake in Superchargers where it matters - like in King's Canyon (Traver and Selma are too far IMO), or in Southern Colorado (nothing convenient near Durago, Pagosa Springs or Cortez), or worse, central Nevada (Austin, Eureka on US-50) - there's still no convenient supercharger. Not that EA does any better, but you usually have to rely on other random options like EVgo, Shell and other weird third party providers.

I haven't confirmed, but it seems like Tesla just focuses more on densely populated urban areas with new installations. That's a pity IMO - it makes it more convenient in less critical areas and is probably just to offset the increasing number of Tesla EVs on the market. To me a Tesla monopoly is not great in the long run - I'd prefer EV charging that's broadly available to all EVs. Hopefully more of the new ones will have CCS "magic ports".

I agree but EA deployment has slowed to a crawl in California. I wonder if its because of weather or other factors. I'd expect them to ramp harder with all the new EVs on the road.
They are probably waiting for the NEVI funds to be made available. (Why pay to build them now if can wait a bit to apply for NEVI funding and have the government pay 80% of the costs?)

The RFPs should be going out any day now for most states. Of course, then you have to wait for everyone to apply, and the proposals to be reviewed. It will likely be next year before much funding gets granted.

In California at least, I've switched over to use EA almost exclusively - the pricing difference is hard to ignore. 36c/kWh versus 45+ is too high - it adds up quickly on road trips which I do often, e.g. 50kWh saves at least about $4.50 per charge, which already exceeds the monthly subscription. I just wish they had remained at 31c/kWh, but I guess that is too much to ask with inflation and rising electricity costs.

Besides, I've not really noticed any significant uptake in Superchargers where it matters - like in King's Canyon (Traver and Selma are too far IMO), or in Southern Colorado (nothing convenient near Durago, Pagosa Springs or Cortez), or worse, central Nevada (Austin, Eureka on US-50) - there's still no convenient supercharger. Not that EA does any better, but you usually have to rely on other random options like EVgo, Shell and other weird third party providers.

I haven't confirmed, but it seems like Tesla just focuses more on densely populated urban areas with new installations. That's a pity IMO - it makes it more convenient in less critical areas and is probably just to offset the increasing number of Tesla EVs on the market. To me a Tesla monopoly is not great in the long run - I'd prefer EV charging that's broadly available to all EVs. Hopefully more of the new ones will have CCS "magic ports".
Why should tesla charges be available to non tesla EV's? Who paid for the super chargers?