Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the Elon haters here even realize why he posted the Hitler meme? My birth country is now under martial law. Bank accounts of ordinary people, certainly not terrorists, have been frozen with zero judicial oversight and no recourse. People have been jailed with no charges laid, and they can be held in jail indefinitely under the Emergency Powers act. People can now be compelled to work for the government under penalty of prison time. The Justice minister, in response to a reporter's question said that if you held right wing views, you should be scared. Elon was not at all wrong to make that comparison. It was only stupid to do so since the outrage reaction was as predictable as it was tedious.

I can't believe someone on the internet compared anyone to Hitler. This has never happened before in the entire history of the WWW.

Yes, it was in poor taste. It wasn't funny, just in poor taste. As a joke, it fell flat. As hyperbolic political commentary, well, Elon needs to just shut up. Yes, he shouldn't have tweeted it, and it's good that he deleted it. I've moved on, myself.

It was just a stupid meme. Seems like a weird thing to get so bent out of shape about. I don't get it. Can someone explain what was so horrible about it? I agree he shouldn't tweet controversial stuff just because people are so sensitive, but to me you guys are freaking out about nothing.
The meme suggests that if Trudeau had a budget, he would be doing the same things as Hitler and starting his own Holocaust.

Memes like this trivialize the actual experience of Holocaust victims.

This meme is different than his other recent Hitler meme "Everyone I don't like is Hitler" - while in poor taste and I would still advise people to avoid it, does not have the same meaning. There's a reason why one tweet is deleted and the other is not.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtndrew1
Do the Elon haters here even realize why he posted the Hitler meme? My birth country is now under martial law. Bank accounts of ordinary people, certainly not terrorists, have been frozen with zero judicial oversight and no recourse. People have been jailed with no charges laid, and they can be held in jail indefinitely under the Emergency Powers act. People can now be compelled to work for the government under penalty of prison time. The Justice minister, in response to a reporter's question said that if you held right wing views, you should be scared. Elon was not at all wrong to make that comparison. It was only stupid to do so since the outrage reaction was as predictable as it was tedious.
Context:
Blocking the main US-Canada bridge was just selfish - pure selfishness.
100s of people decided to exercise their will, and didn't care that they're f... up livelihood of 100s of thousands people - that bridge carries 25% of all commerce btw Canada and USA. Supply chains crashing, factories starting to pause productions...
And half of that were kids for whom this was just a party.
In my early twenties, I've been in demonstrations against Milosevic for over 100 days, much bigger demonstrations with 100K+-1M people daily, I've run from the police too. So I feel I understand mindset of protesters better than most. For me, yeah, it was the right thing to do, but it was also a party, place of happening, not unlike checking TSLA ticker. Even-though we were trying to overthrow dictator when he stole votes...
For kids(students, young people) in support of truckers, and most truckers, this was just a party, for their rights to be able to party...
Still, there is some wisdom in their asks, so Ottawa demonstrations I can accept, though they did look like a siege...

Blockade of the bridge, I can't accept - it was a selfish, selfish, selfish act...

Elon:
Elon aligning with movement that is poorly defined and controversial isn't great for Tesla. I hear people saying that everyone knows who and how Elon behaves, and shouldn't be surprised. That's true for old hands like us, but Tesla and Elon keep expanding area they influence and there are always many new people they get in touch that will be put off by his antics. Having said that, I don't expect him to change. He spends his energy on his enterprises, not on self-development.

Is this a place where one can post negative thoughts on Elon, or this too will be deleted?

Context:
Blocking the main US-Canada bridge was just selfish - pure selfishness.
100s of people decided to exercise their will, and didn't care that they're f... up livelihood of 100s of thousands people - that bridge carries 25% of all commerce btw Canada and USA. Supply chains crashing, factories starting to pause productions...
And half of that were kids for whom this was just a party.
In my early twenties, I've been in demonstrations against Milosevic for over 100 days, much bigger demonstrations with 100K+-1M people daily, I've run from the police too. So I feel I understand mindset of protesters better than most. For me, yeah, it was the right thing to do, but it was also a party, place of happening, not unlike checking TSLA ticker. Even-though we were trying to overthrow dictator when he stole votes...
For kids(students, young people) in support of truckers, and most truckers, this was just a party, for their rights to be able to party...
Still, there is some wisdom in their asks, so Ottawa demonstrations I can accept, though they did look like a siege...

Blockade of the bridge, I can't accept - it was a selfish, selfish, selfish act...

Elon:
Elon aligning with movement that is poorly defined and controversial isn't great for Tesla. I hear people saying that everyone knows who and how Elon behaves, and shouldn't be surprised. That's true for old hands like us, but Tesla and Elon keep expanding area they influence and there are always many new people they get in touch that will be put off by his antics. Having said that, I don't expect him to change. He spends his energy on his enterprises, not on self-development.

Is this a place where one can post negative thoughts on Elon, or this too will be deleted?
The Hitler meme post occured after the windsor bridge blockage was peacefully dispelled by police. The bridge was operating by then. The only protest still occurring was the one in Ottawa that wasn’t disrupting any significant commerce, nor movement of people. The meme was posted in reaction to the Prime Minister declaring martial law.

People immediately jump to the Holocaust when they think of Hitler, and fair enough, that was by far the worst thing he did. But before that, he had to consolidate power. Once he got elected, he invoked the Enabling Act, which was a “temporary” emergency act that gave him martial law powers, very, very similar to the powers Trudeau has just given himself in Canada through the invocation of the Emergency Act.

Today, Trudeau suspended parliament and is arresting anyone caught in the downtown core. Peaceful protesting is now not allowed and people are being jailed for it.

So, yeah, comparing anyone to Hitler is in poor taste (which, by the way, is now a right of passage for any Republican President in the US since they all get compared to Hitler, but I digress), which is why Elon deleted his tweet. But if you know your history, as Elon certainly does, it isn’t an inapt comparison.

Every day I become less pleased that my car is associated with Elon Musk. It’s just getting embarrassing at this point.

Over the years I’ve come to conclude that engaging in boycotts over political issues is pointless. Boycotts almost never work and they rarely significantly negatively affect a business. Too many people dont care or even know about the tempest in a teapot. Buycotts, on the other hand, do work and can significantly aid a business. But yeah, sell your car if it’ll make you feel better. Used car prices are quite high now. But don’t fool yourself into thinking it’ll affect Tesla.

Over the years I’ve come to conclude that engaging in boycotts over political issues is pointless. Boycotts almost never work and they rarely significantly negatively affect a business. Too many people dont care or even know about the tempest in a teapot. Buycotts, on the other hand, do work and can significantly aid a business. But yeah, sell your car if it’ll make you feel better. Used car prices are quite high now. But don’t fool yourself into thinking it’ll affect Tesla.

I’m not boycotting anything and I have no intention of selling my car. Somehow you decided that would make me “feel better” I guess.

I remain embarrassed to be associated with Elon Musk and if someone asks what kind of car I drive it inevitably pivots to negative comments about his juvenile larger-than-life public persona. It’s really fatiguing.

I used to admire the brand and that has changed. While I’m not boycotting anything it will absolutely be a factor in my next purchase. Not because I’m under any illusion that other carmaker CEOs are any better but because I’m tired of hearing about this one.

Tesla is now just another car on the list of choices as opposed to being at the top.

A significant percentage of my family were killed in nazi Germany. Regardless of his actual intention, Musk’s support of a trucker convoy waving swastikas and his posting Hitler memes are not conducive to brand building, at least for this customer. Take that as you wish.

My birth country is now under martial law. Bank accounts of ordinary people, certainly not terrorists, have been frozen with zero judicial oversight and no recourse. People have been jailed with no charges laid, and they can be held in jail indefinitely under the Emergency Powers act. People can now be compelled to work for the government under penalty of prison time.
Ottawa residents would disagree with you. They have been terrorized by these people who have been blasting their horns and harassing residents now for three weeks.

People who live near the protests are unable to work, study, and sleep. They are literally torturing them and the Ottawa police, so far, have neglected to enforce any of the existing laws on hand to stop them. Hospital workers and business owners have been harassed and threatened by the protesters. Many businesses have shut down due to threats.

I agree. In a world population of billions, this applies broadly to all kinds of action. Personal climate action, for instance, makes no real measurable change to the overall warming trend. However, those actions can set some people’s personal feelings at ease because it keeps them from having to reckon with personal hypocrisy.

If someone feels strong negative emotions about any brand, it’s their prerogative to set their conscience at ease by making a personal decision whether or not it has a measurable impact. The challenge is to ensure we don’t take the next step that humans seem to enjoy, which is to climb upon the perch of moral superiority once the action is taken.

Ottawa police, so far, have neglected to enforce any of the existing laws on hand to stop them
So enforce existing laws seems to be the solution, not this emergency powers stuff and seizing bank accounts.

Think that is what Elon was reacting to, the choice to not use the normal accepted tools of liberal democracy, toward some things more associated w/ dictators.

So enforce existing laws seems to be the solution, not this emergency powers stuff and seizing bank accounts.

Think that is what Elon was reacting to, the choice to not use the normal accepted tools of liberal democracy, toward some things more associated w/ dictators.

And that’s all well and good but if Musk can’t make a nuanced comment to a very tender situation than he should keep his thoughts to himself. Bringing Hitler into the fold is tasteless at best and potentially damaging to the brand.

I’m not boycotting anything and I have no intention of selling my car. Somehow you decided that would make me “feel better” I guess.

I remain embarrassed to be associated with Elon Musk and if someone asks what kind of car I drive it inevitably pivots to negative comments about his juvenile larger-than-life public persona. It’s really fatiguing.
I have to say I find it amusing. With friends, clients, or people I meet who are driving a Tesla, and we talk about it, I always make a point
to ask: So what do you think about Elon and everything he has going on...:)
Lot of errrrs and uhhhss, pained faces. 😬 I just listen.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
Weird that people act as if there has never been Hitler memes:

Weird that people act as if there has never been Hitler memes:

I don't think anyone believes there haven't been Hitler memes. I think most people find them always to land in some range of offensive to tasteless.

Well apparently my comment which involves comparing another politician to Hitler is too sensitive for this thread, oh well, let's see if this one works:

At least in my case it’s more an issue of my car being tied to Musk’s public whims than the whims themselves. Everybody has opinions and perspectives and of course some I will disagree with. Nevertheless I don’t want to be involuntarily looped in with Musk’s perspectives in the Costco parking lot.

I didn’t intend to sign up for the tasteless meme associations when I bought this car four years ago. Included in my decision process when I buy my next car will be the likelihood that the car will be publicly related to the political leanings and the championing of causes by the person at the helm, whether or not I’m of like mind.

Mary Barra, in my opinion, sucks for her attempt to overthrow CARB regulations, but if I show up to dinner in a Chevy nobody knows who she is. She doesn’t get on a bullhorn every week stirring up controversy. As a car buyer I would like to avoid being associated with controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.