Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Elon institutes policies on Twitter that a lot of people there now don't like, somebody will start a similar platform with similar rules to Twitter now and everyone will migrate to that. Then Twitter devolves into Parlar and becomes almost worthless.

People's loyalties to social media platforms is very fluid. It isn't like buying something physical, people will overlap membership between multiple forums until they find one they like the most then spend most of their time there.
Doubt it. It just isn't that easy to start fresh and make it successful. While the left loves to be the loudest and "claim" they will leave if all of a sudden it isn't just their narrative being heard while the other narrative is censored they will still remain. They will scream about it and maybe even protest and riot out front of Twitter HQ but they will remain and not leave.

Reactions: AquaY
Doubt it. It just isn't that easy to start fresh and make it successful. While the left loves to be the loudest and "claim" they will leave if all of a sudden it isn't just their narrative being heard while the other narrative is censored they will still remain. They will scream about it and maybe even protest and riot out front of Twitter HQ but they will remain and not leave.
If Alec Baldwin had left when he said he would that poor woman he shot would still be alive

So we understand the Company forum was closed because it got out of control with hate messages etc.
What will be different about Twitter with free rein? Only more hate and more ugliness from some anonymous guys on the web.
Elon, have you lost it?
Twitter fascination and purchase embodies all that is immature and stupid about Elon. Crossed the fine line from genius to insanity and smashed our investments with him. Thev wholev world and financial markets disrespect this move.
No wonder the board of Tritter was unanimous. How would a poll be run about this? Elon the poll dancer.

My unsolicited feeling on this is that the hand wringers are probably wringing their hands far too much. And the strongest celebrators are probably celebrating too much. Elon has sunk billions - let that sink in, billions, of his own money into this venture. It may be an expendable sum to him, but I doubt he looks at it that way. It seems more likely that he wants to "unlock" the value in one of the biggest social media names in the world, which is trading well below its peers in terms of market capitalization. It would be surprising to me if he decided to do anything that would jeopardize the bulk of the user base.

One thing this and some of his recent actions have seemed to do, from my limited perspective, is change the way a segment of the population views him and his businesses. He was viewed as a government-leeching environmentalist by many for a decade or more, but now I notice in comment sections on some platforms that he is embraced wildly. That may in fact help Tesla by endearing the company to a group that had written EVs off as environmentalist trickery. Or I'm overstating it.

As I've repeated in this thread since a few years ago, I'm no fan of Twitter so I feel like it has a lot more potential to get better than it does to get worse.
Not a bad take. Personally, I'm not sure he's fully thought out what his "free speech according to law" policy will mean. On the other hand, he hasn't given enough details on where Twitter current restricts speech, but the law allows. I'm sure that someone could analyze The Twitter Rules and find examples of where people have been banned from Twitter where the same speech made in public would be considered legal.

Looking at one famous example - Trump's permanent suspension from Twitter - I think one could argue, in fact, that the statements he made were, in fact, incompatible with the first amendment (see Brandenburg v. Ohio for example). How will Twitter handle content in different countries where free speech rules are different? Will they country-specific filters for users in those countries to filter out illegal content?

On the other hand, he famously sued ElonJet to try to stop him from posting the location of Elon's jet and failed, despite the fact that the location of all aircraft is public information and thus is legal to disseminate. I wonder how he feels about that?

Certainly one issue I have with Twitter, and social media in general, is that is is specifically designed to keep you coming back - and one way social media does this is to do a couple things:
1. Promote content that you agree with.
2. Promote content that you disagree with.

The first engages you on topics that you are interested in and talking to like minded people with - the second is because arguing on the internet keeps people on the internet. This XKCD is great: Duty Calls

The latter, in particular, is a large reason why the world has become so split, IMO. For example, you see it on the left with the Elon bashing (no doubt, bashing Elon generates tons of content that either strongly agree or disagree). And you see it on the right where the everyone on the right seems to be determined to out-crazy the next person, just to own the libs.

But is this good for the world in general? I would argue that it isn't - and purposely exposing people to extreme opposite viewpoints only generates stress which is not good for your help. For some crazy reason, Twitter, keeps on insisting that I want to see TeslaCharts posts in their "what I missed" emails. I certainly don't, but I'm sure they've decided that because his posts generate a lot of interactions among Tesla fans that occasionally showing me his content will make me more likely to post.

Anyway - it remains to be seen how Elon will change Twitter. But I certainly hope that allowing users to fine tune the content that is promoted is one of the items on the to-do list as I tend to find much Twitter content these says bad the mental state of mind.
Speaking of the Right, these guys on Fox really seem to like him a lot.
Do they know that Elon supports a carbon tax?

There are many that have taken the path down the social media rabbit-hole from libertarian to far-right conspiracy theories. I hope that one thing social media companies can figure out is how to moderate content in a way that does more to build consensus, rather than division.

Certainly one issue I have with Twitter, and social media in general, is that is is specifically designed to keep you coming back - and one way social media does this is to do a couple things:
1. Promote content that you agree with.
2. Promote content that you disagree with.
Agree with this entirely and with your conclusion that it's probably not good for us. It's a less obvious version of nicotine, in some way. Thankfully for me personally, even though I smoked a bit as a teen, nicotine never clicked for me, and as an adult, most social media networks are boring at best. But I recognize that's just genetics and they target products to the majority of people, most of whom aren't as fortunate to just be uninterested in these particularly addictive things.

There was a Hidden Brain episode a while back that was interesting. It talked about the science supporting how consensus and nuance are so taxing cognitively that we most often choose determinate outcomes over complex solutions. This is potentially why people tend to gravitate towards the extremes - it's this way or it's that way, and there's no point in worrying about the details. Social media companies prey on that particular shortcoming and we eat it up, with the outcome being that we think there are two sides to everything and that people are either "the left" or "the right" and not just nuanced and complicated beings with interesting and varying opinions on things.

On the other hand, he famously sued ElonJet to try to stop him from posting the location of Elon's jet and failed, despite the fact that the location of all aircraft is public information and thus is legal to disseminate. I wonder how he feels about that?
That... never happened. Please link to any reputable news source that reported on Elon suing that account/ person. Better yet, a link to the filing itself.

My partner has been looking at the agreement signed between Twitter and Elon. Elon had to make a $1 billion personal guarantee that he would not walk away from the deal nor would he make any disparaging remarks on Twitter about Twitter or any representative of Twitter. Considering his tendency to attack people on Twitter, he could end up blowing up the deal himself.

That... never happened. Please link to any reputable news source that reported on Elon suing that account/ person. Better yet, a link to the filing itself.
You are correct - he only offered money ($5k), ElonJet countered with $50k and then Elon declined and pulled the offer.

Now if only TMC had an Edit function that worked for longer than a short period of time!

My partner has been looking at the agreement signed between Twitter and Elon. Elon had to make a $1 billion personal guarantee that he would not walk away from the deal nor would he make any disparaging remarks on Twitter about Twitter or any representative of Twitter. Considering his tendency to attack people on Twitter, he could end up blowing up the deal himself.
There are some arguing that he has already run afoul of that clause with this tweet:

Edit: I would argue that the NY Post, if that's who he's referring to hardly qualifies as "news". More like rumors and innuendo...

Last edited:
It was on Twitter therefore it was a fact 😂.
That is but the first step:
Rumor on Twitter
Added to Wikipedia
Cited by reporter
Wikipedia entry updated to cite news article
Twitter post referencing Wikipedia or news article
Commonly known 'fact'

You are correct - he only offered money ($5k), ElonJet countered with $50k and then Elon declined and pulled the offer.

Now if only TMC had an Edit function that worked for longer than a short period of time!
Yah, so where in the Ether did "famously" come from?

Once Elon knew the data source couldn't be shut down, he left the account alone.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: mspohr and goin2drt

There are some arguing that he has already run afoul of that clause with this tweet:

Edit: I would argue that the NY Post, if that's who he's referring to hardly qualifies as "news". More like rumors and innuendo...
I think you're confusing the NY Times with the NY Post.

BTW, the story was 100% true.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
We know Elon was on SNL. Now he’s also made The Onion.

I wouldn't have thought the plaintiffs were going to win. Whether or not the truth was on their side, proving it was going to be very hard indeed. The Tesla Board went through the appropriate motions, and that's all they needed to do.

860FBFB8-9E1E-421F-9D25-8B1B846DB079.jpeg

Now this one is pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.