Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are indeed living in a perfect simulation, perfect in the sense that we are unable to detect that it is in fact a simulation, then we have to live as if what we perceive is "reality", because our perceived reality can kill us. It effects us in concrete ways, obviously. We have to treat it as "real".

So we do have to figure out how to reduce and adapt to climate change, and make sure we get enough food every day, and continue to try to understand how the universe works using science, because that is how we will ensure our survival. Our survival will not be ensured by ignoring climate change, by memorizing ancient religious texts, by ignoring what science tells us about how the universe works.
Got to follow the rules for survival as we know them, even if it is a sim. Agreed.

But are magic and miracles a hack or just sufficiently advanced technology?:) Probably need a hot tub for full understanding.

This is the Elon thread I was looking for :)

It is totally inspiring to me to see him not only discussing this topic, but also be extremely well-versed in it, to the degree that he's instantly become the global expert on the subject.

If you ever thought this universe and its rules seem like a grand experiment, well maybe you're totally right. And as vast as it seems to us, perhaps it's just a slice in some other grand system, and if so, would there only be 1 ?

It amazes me pretty much every day that we don't ever get to touch anything in this existence, for instance (unless you're part of a nuclear reaction that is !)

As for the notion that observation alters the actions of some quantum elements, I believe this has more to do with the tools we currently use to attempt the observation. I'm not (yet) sold on the idea that some particles are just waiting around to do something only when we're watching.

As for how we act if we know we're in a simulation, nothing changes for me. I continue to try to find "life hacks" to get by faster / easier / healthier / happier and so far, keeping an eye on Elon Musk has been the right way to go here.

Reactions: Nevek
The simple answer to this is: We bleed.
Were you, like me, confused / amazed to sense the very clear (at least to me) metallic taste of your blood as a child ?

We're self-reproducing electromechanical machines ! Amazing ones no doubt. Well, except our spines, they say we're still evolving as upright bipeds to suit the planet's gravity... perhaps this is one of the reasons behind Elon's Mars retirement plan ;)

Yes, Elon tweeted the article but you took it out of context when you didn't include his actual tweet:

"At this point, I'm really running out of crazy things to say. Any suggestions?"
And he is known to talk about crazy things he believes in. Elon is in favor of a greater chance we are in a simulation. He's very clear on this one. He basically said there are two options: 1. we live in a simulation; 2. no civilization ever reached the height that can do a simulation like what we are living in. He is totally in favor of and prefer option 1.

And he is known to talk about crazy things he believes in. Elon is in favor of a greater chance we are in a simulation. He's very clear on this one. He basically said there are two options: 1. we live in a simulation; 2. no civilization ever reached the height that can do a simulation like what we are living in. He is totally in favor of and prefer option 1.

1294385494524101157.gif

You and I will have to agree to disagree. I think there is no rational basis or any evidence I can determine that supports your statement.
I can explain why you would say this. Just as Elon said to the crowd "show me whats wrong with this argument". No one said anything in response. This happens when you surround yourself with people who only agree with you. Just as I received dislikes from virtually every comment I posted here. Most fear to hear anything that rocks their little"computer world". I've been warned to stop posting "religious" things. So I will be one more voice removed from your sphere of influence. My only point from the beginning was this was turning into a uncontested religious discussion. It was about a week after my first post Elon says we live in a computer game. Wow, very scientific. I guess you all love the idea of living in someones computer. "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools". Put me in a debate live with Elon and he would most likely put me #2 in charge just like Pharaoh did Joseph.

I would guess Elon was just spitballing
If you watch the discussion (or read about the spa rules back in this thread) he explains how far it has gotten and it's beyond the spitball stage.

I like Elon's term "base reality" but I am not sure "computer simulation" is the best way to describe the potentialities. It is certainly not the only way, but it is something that everyone can relate to today.

This line of thinking can possibly allow everyone to be happy, as there can be room for "design" alongside science, but the problem then becomes people just love to get all dogmatic and suggest their "creator" wants a certain "design" and then...

Reactions: Krugerrand
I would guess Elon was just spitballing when he talked about probabilities of living in a computer simulation and doesn't believe it nearly as much as some articles are now suggesting. It's fun to ponder in spare time but he is far too busy to have any solid belief on such a wildly speculative subject.

This is one theory. The better theory in my mind is: he has a very clear and well considered opinion on the probability distribution with regard to the simulation/no simulation question. However he also realizes that regardless of the answer ot doesn't matter because he lives in exacly ONE reality and doesn't get to change, so he must act as best he can regardless of if he is in sim or not.

The chances of living in a simulation being considered high I believe is based on a flawed probability calculation. Not saying it isn't possible, but probably not nearly as likely as some are suggesting. That's one crazy train I'm not getting on.

How many different ways could the moon landing have been faked? So odds are good the moon landing was faked? Seems comparable.

How many different ways could the moon landing have been faked? So odds are good the moon landing was faked? Seems comparable.
But it's not remotely comparable. It's not about how many possibilities, it's using current evidence to reach a conclusion. The evidence for the moon landing is strongly in favor of it being legitimate, so we make our probabilistic assessment that it is indeed legitimate. The evidence for simulation is just what Elon stated in his argument - we're going to be able to simulate worlds indistinguishable from our own within a few decades, and we're a relatively young species. So you draw from that evidence what you might.

For me, I don't care what my reality is, I just know it's my reality. So I'm going to play this "game" within the given constraints, based on the evidence I can gather.

Status
Not open for further replies.