Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seattle has dug tunnels trying to help congestion, but it hasn't helped much. The first tunnel was putting buses under the street in downtown. Now they are in the process of replacing an entire freeway with a tunnel.

The Seattle metro area is a hodgepodge of transportation experiments, many of which don't help and some make things worse. I-5 is 6 lanes south of downtown and goes down to 2 lanes in downtown with a set of reversible express lanes that only amount to 2 or 3 lanes. The transit engineers in the 1990s were still thinking about how to get people into Seattle in the mornings and out to the suburbs as efficiently as possible when just as many people were living in Seattle and working in the suburbs as were coming into the city. Microsoft and the cellular boom moved most of the high tech out to the suburbs and the hipsters working in high tech wanted to live in Seattle. There are also a large number of people who commute from one suburb to another and never go near downtown Seattle in their commute, but the whole transit system is stuck in the 50s when most people worked in Seattle and lived in the suburbs.

We moved to the Portland area in large part because of the traffic in the Seattle area which was just getting worse.

Seattle put buses in its first transportation tunnel, but I think Elon's idea could tie in well with the vision of autonomous EV taxis. If the tunnels were limited to EVs, the need for ventilation would be greatly reduced. You still need some fresh air cycled through, but much less if there are no fossil fuel vehicles. Seattle's bus tunnel uses hybrid buses that only run electric on the underground part of their routes. t appears light rail runs down there now too.

People on the surface tend to resist tunneling projects and it can cause problems when the tunnel is under construction. When Seattle was building the bus tunnel, there were small tremors in downtown fairly frequently and one day they accidentally tunneled into an underground river nobody knew was there. The flood got into the power lines for downtown (which are also underground) and it knocked out power to the entire downtown core for close to a week.

The problem with congestion may start to take care of itself as autonomous cars and trucks begin to take hold. With autonomous trucks the bulk of truck traffic in cities can be in the middle of the night which will cut down on daytime congestion. In the 1984 Olympics they required all truck traffic to be at night and it really helped. Additionally with lots of essentially autonomous taxis running around, overall traffic congestion may get much better. Autonomous vehicles that are able to communicate with one another would also be able to run much closer together and at much higher speeds.

It would be a race to see which came first, the bulk of the impact on traffic from autonomous cars, or the permits for the first tunnel boring project. With environmental studies and everything else involved, it would take at least a decade to break ground on one of Elon's tunnel boring projects. If traffic congestion in large cities had begun to decline by then, city planners may opt not to do it.

A long article mostly detailing the genesis of Tesla and the rift between Eberhard and Musk. It is a pretty good history. New information I hadn't heard before, apparently Elon is now engaged again:

BEN OLIVER: Tesla Roadster: the battery-powered supercar that's electrifying the world | Daily Mail Online

Elon's guide to dating:
I had a used 1967 VW type II. I was at least the fourth owner of this bus. It was white and blue, had some dents, body repairs and not so great looking appearance. However, it was fully functional and had all the glass. I had been asked what girls I expected to pick up with this bus. My response was that any girl not wanting to get in this bus would not be worth having. And she was a high quality lady! I still have the first bus I ever bought (a 1970 model) and would love Mr. Musk to make it electric.

I'm going to try to discuss this with as little partisanship as possible.

Elon has recently made positive comments about Rex Tillerson, while Trump has mentioned the space program on a couple occasions. Could a positive relationship between Musk and Trump be developing? After all, Musk makes the world's best car and does it in America. Trump believes the entrepreneurial private sector can always do better than the government. Could it be that in the future, SpaceX is Trump's replacement for NASA, or something close. Could it be that Musk tells trump that he could do futuristic things to MAGA and Trump gets him funding?

Reactions: diesel
Musk just endorsed Rex's tillerson. Elon is selling out to the power as he needs government on his side. Opportunist.
what you call opportunist others would call pragmatic.
prag·mat·ic
praɡˈmadik/
adjective
  1. dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations.
    "a pragmatic approach to politics"

It's so frustrating to see so many comments about how Elon must have sold out or that Trump is pushing him around. Maybe just maybe Trump isn't the villain everyone makes him out to be....maybe he is a businessman where nothing is personal just business. If that were the case they could see the mutual benefit of working together furthering both Tesla's and the country's interest.

I pick up my model S on Saturday and can't wait to join the Tesla family. Like Musk, I am going to judge the president by his actions as president and so far I can't say I'm disappointed with anything he has done....I'm rooting for him!

If you dig deep enough into the dealings and ethics of any company, you'd probably never be able to buy another consumer good in good conscience for the remainder of your days.

While it may get slightly distasteful for a while, if the overall mission of Tesla is adhered to, we're all just going to have to maybe hold our noses a little bit and push through.

prag·mat·ic
praɡˈmadik/
adjective
  1. dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations.
    "a pragmatic approach to politics"
    synonyms: practical, matter-of-fact, sensible, down-to-earth, commonsensical, businesslike, having both/one's feet on the ground, hardheaded, no-nonsense;
    informalhard-nosed
    "she remains pragmatic in the most emotional circumstances"

SpaceX depends on cooperation from NASA.
Tesla depends on cooperation from several Federal government agencies.
Like it or not, if any large company is to thrive in the US it will need cooperation of the US government.
We are living in perilous times. Imagining that Tesla/SpaceX is better off to ignore the incoming government is silly.
We should support Elon Musk in his efforts and congratulate him for his success so far.

Tesla/SpaceX produce many US jobs and are producing more. Both have much more US content than do their competitors. That supports the President Trump narrative.
One need not drink the kool-aid to see the shared objectives that do exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.