Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost faith in Elon's motivations here. He's effectively endorsing and acting as a mouthpiece for he who shall not be named. I guess Elon's content with SpaceX's and Tesla's agenda being advanced and he appears to be willing to look the other way a bit wrt fossil fuel policies, the EPA and so on.

Has me wondering about my Model 3 reservation, being a shareholder and continuing to be an advocate for the company and its mission that's now in question in my mind...

Me too. There's no reason for him to endorse a sec of state candidate unless there's a deal somewhere else in play while staying silent on all the other events/nominations.

Really disappointed.

Me too. There's no reason for him to endorse a sec of state candidate unless there's a deal somewhere else in play while staying silent on all the other events/nominations.

Really disappointed.

I dont understand people who only go on feelings. Who cares that its not Hillary sitting down with Elon. As long as the president is interested in supporting your cause and moving your product forward why would you care who it is. You are saying that i dont want to drive a Tesla because i didnt vote for this president. Does that make any sense? I guess to make you happy Elon should fight back go on a rally and say that he will just shut down his company if needed as long as he doesnt have to deal with the current government. In that case you will be proud of him for doing that and move on to buy another company's car and not think twice about it.
Everyone needs to think before they jump to conclusions.

I dont understand people who only go on feelings. Who cares that its not Hillary sitting down with Elon. As long as the president is interested in supporting your cause and moving your product forward why would you care who it is. You are saying that i dont want to drive a Tesla because i didnt vote for this president. Does that make any sense? I guess to make you happy Elon should fight back go on a rally and say that he will just shut down his company if needed as long as he doesnt have to deal with the current government. In that case you will be proud of him for doing that and move on to buy another company's car and not think twice about it.
That's not what he said.

Everyone needs to think before they jump to conclusions.
You got that right!

Elon is smart enough to know that having a seat in a circle of business leaders and the president of the United States is something that's not to be squandered. What's better for the world - to have him take a hard-nosed approach and burn bridges, or to leverage his position to make Tesla better and to slowly educate members of that circle about some of the things he knows best? If he walked away and "took a stand" or however it wants to be phrased, I believe we risk having even more of an echo chamber in that corner of the country. At least he can currently absorb a bit of the echo and add some noise to the mix.

Endorsing Tillerson was a tentative endorsement, and it read more like an endorsement of the Economist's endorsement. I am willing to bet that he found Tillerson to be reasonable with respect to climate when he was able to chat with him. He has tweeted that Tillerson brought up climate change and the need to take action, as well as voicing his support for a carbon tax. If not Tillerson, what are the chances that the next candidate will have those priorities? Given the cabinet to date, I think the chances are better for a worse candidate, and I also think Elon knows this.

Back on track ... Elon Musk confirms that Tesla’s logo is the cross section of an electric motor

It has been a long-standing theory that Tesla’s logo is not just a fancy ‘T’, but that it actually represents the cross-section of an electric motor first designed by the company’s namesake, physicist and inventor Nikola Tesla. The automaker’s CEO, Elon Musk, finally confirmed the theory last week.

upload_2017-1-25_8-11-58.png

• Love
Reactions: Red Sage
Also, keep in mind that Elon also has that whole SpaceX thing going on too. And it is more likely than not that the new administration will be much better for space travel. So while the environment might take a hit he is quite likely winning on the front to get us off the planet after we've ruined it.

"get[ing] us off the planet after we've ruined it" is a pipe dream. I am a tremendous fan of Elon Musk for what he's done for electric transportation and because my Roadster is the most fun car I've ever owned. It's even more fun than my old Zap Xebra was, and in spite of its innumerable flaws that little rattletrap was tremendously fun to drive. Exploring space is a fascinating endeavor, but a self-sustaining colony on another planet would cost more than all the wealth of this planet, and even if we did establish such a colony, 99.9999% of us would still be left here.

As much as I admire Elon Musk, and as much as Space X is a success at privatizing near-Earth orbital launches, I think his Mars ambitions are nuts.

I do think that for him to engage with the new administration is better than if he boycotted it for its regressive, anti-science politics.

I'd like to respectfully disagree with my post being moved to snippiness regarding the "shutting down" of certain pages on the white house website.

By moving the post to snippiness, you allow a one-sided, and in this case, false narrative surrounding the transition to persist.

There may be plenty to criticize in the upcoming 4 years, but in fairness, the website issue from last Friday wasn't one of them. Let's all be adults about this.

"get[ing] us off the planet after we've ruined it" is a pipe dream. I am a tremendous fan of Elon Musk for what he's done for electric transportation and because my Roadster is the most fun car I've ever owned. It's even more fun than my old Zap Xebra was, and in spite of its innumerable flaws that little rattletrap was tremendously fun to drive. Exploring space is a fascinating endeavor, but a self-sustaining colony on another planet would cost more than all the wealth of this planet, and even if we did establish such a colony, 99.9999% of us would still be left here.

As much as I admire Elon Musk, and as much as Space X is a success at privatizing near-Earth orbital launches, I think his Mars ambitions are nuts.

It has to start somewhere, if not now and with Elon and SpaceX, then it'll be later with someone else and we'll be that much later. Or are you saying we shouldn't even bother because it'll never happen? If that's the case then there are all sorts of people who probably agreed with you back in the 60's with the moon landings, and probably quite a few other significant events in history.

Yes, a colony on another planet would cost a huge amount of money ... right now. The more testing, researching, and pipe-dreaming we do the lower those costs will get.

If we never try, it'll never happen.

Reactions: youlikeadajuice
he already was working with the administration and that's fine. I don't object to that.

Please note that none of the comments are critical of his willingness to have a conversation with the current administration or even be involved. It is of the endorsement of a seemingly unrelated cabinet post of a person who not a few months ago was acting in direct conflict to the stated goal of the company. That's what is suspicious.

As far as I know the Secretary of State has little to do with corporate tax governance so what pull does he even have to enact a carbon tax? Where's the comment on the executive orders to reinstate crude oil pipelines, the EPA or dept if energy appointments? He was perfectly fine staying silent and working behind the scenes until yesterday.

That's why this is noteworthy in my mind and different than "willing to work".

If tillerson prods congress into enacting a carbon tax against their will and the remaining Exxon executives are like "what the heck man. We used to be friends" then I will adjust my reaction and see that he was right. But as those two events seem unlikely, my current reaction feels right.

To be clear, I'm not looking for an argument and in no way does this post imply I'm right. I don't post much on the internet because unless you are delivering a hard fact, a lot of the content is just filler. But I came here last night to see if I was the only disappointed person and it was relieving to see I wasn't so I added my voice to that. I don't expect to change any minds.

I'd like to respectfully disagree with my post being moved to snippiness regarding the "shutting down" of certain pages on the white house website.

By moving the post to snippiness, you allow a one-sided, and in this case, false narrative surrounding the transition to persist.

There may be plenty to criticize in the upcoming 4 years, but in fairness, the website issue from last Friday wasn't one of them. Let's all be adults about this.

I'm not sure why that post was moved either...it seemed informative and based on fact. Maybe because you said BS? (we'll see if my post gets moved now :) )

As far as I know the Secretary of State has little to do with corporate tax governance so what pull does he even have to enact a carbon tax? Where's the comment on the executive orders to reinstate crude oil pipelines, the EPA or dept if energy appointments? He was perfectly fine staying silent and working behind the scenes until yesterday.

You make a good point here. Tillerson was nominated for Secretary of State, which has absolutely nothing to do with energy policy. His experience dealing with Russia and particularly the middle east probably contributed to his selection. While I believe Pruitt is a terrible choice to head the EPA, I don't see why Elon Musk should automatically discount Tillerson for Secretary of State, especially in light of the fact that he, I'm sure, has a lot more basis for his opinion that most of us.

So you are essentially saying you bought a Bolt because in your mind GM is doing more to "make a stand" against climate change than Tesla?

Seriously?
NO I said clearly i am buying a bolt because I can get it sooner and I believe cheaper. What I am asking is how much of the decision to stick with Tesla is based on a desire to part of Elon's movement and does his decision to stand beside and endorse one of the worlds dominant polluters change that belief for anyone. Also, we can not on this board speak of Elon being pragmatic and then out of the same mouth say Tillerson is really going to support a carbon tax. His statements to that effect must also be considered him being pragmatic in a different political climate if we are going to give ELon that credit. Also carbon tax mean NO COAL and this admin is all about saving coal

My role here is to prevent political arguments from spiraling out of control. Your original post was completely off topic and a subject of all kinds of political argument in the news media, never mind online. It could only serve to send the thread off-topic or worse into partisan bickering.

Also this post is itself off-topic for the section. If you want to complain about moderation, please post in the Site Feedback section.

My role here is to prevent political arguments from spiraling out of control. Your original post was completely off topic and a subject of all kinds of political argument in the news media, never mind online. It could only serve to send the thread off-topic or worse into partisan bickering.

Also this post is itself off-topic for the section. If you want to complain about moderation, please post in the Site Feedback section.

Ad a federal IT worker, I figured I would shed some light on it. It became political in the media because people were misinformed, and took that lack of information, and interpreted it how they saw fit.

FUD is not only dangerous to Tesla, it's dangerous in the real world too.

Have any of you considered that Elon might know exactly what he is doing? The new administration may be the best thing to happen to Space X. They have signaled strongly that they are going to insist on lowering cost of government / military purchasing. Space X is the low cost supplier of lift capability, and should gain a lot of launches. Also , if the Falcon Heavy is successful, they might force NASA to cancel their heavy lift vehicle - more Space X launches. It has been reported on TMC that the President has owned a Tesla. If so, That doesn't indicate he would want to disrupt a growing compant rapidly expanding it!s work force.

Last edited:
Yes, if Elon can't say something nice, better not to say anything at all. For the first time, I am beginning to have second thoughts about my TM3 reservation.
Wasn't what he said about Tillerson, nice? Does the political views of oil company CEO's play into your decision of where to buy gas and oil for your car?

• Disagree
Reactions: T34ME and Bound466
Status
Not open for further replies.