Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the original AP story many MSM sites published:

Several senior diplomats resign as Trump admin takes shape - US/World - News-Sentinel.com

This is the quietly updated AP story:

Senior diplomat resignations accepted as Trump team enters - US/World - News-Sentinel.com

You can see how basically the whole story changed quietly.

Quite revealing, really. Nobody seems to be saying they swapped the story, just quiet "updated" dates in some heading (like on CNN). Many sites still have the old URL for the story from the first AP piece, while the heading (which the URL is based) in the story itself has been updated with the quiet swap of the story.

Most served under both Republican and Democrat administrations. Hence my 'bi partisan' modifier. Were they asked to leave? Insiders are saying they resigned, not asked to leave. And if they WERE asked to leave, that's even worse - no one to take their place, things adrift right now. Trump's administration has asked some Obama appointees to stay on until they found the replacements. There is no reason this wouldn't have been handled the same way.

I'm more apt to believe the rogue twitter accounts springing up right now -- it's like claiming we canceled the meeting with Mexico, when it's clear looking at the timeline that Mexico canceled with us. Like the rejected boy quickly claiming that he only asked a popular girl out on a dare, but would never actually want to go out with her because she has bad breath.

If you haven't seen the rogue accounts, they're a thing of beauty. I'm not sure which one is my favorite, but @ActualEPAFacts is pretty darn sassy. (And if you see others, please let me know.)

Are any experienced twitterusers able to provide useful clues as to the best means to determine what tweets are likely to be non-alternative facts....so to speak? I'm sensing parsing the world's info-feeds is about to get yet one or two levels more complicated.

By the way, Bonnie: it is my understanding that all senior department officials across the spectrum of D.C. bureaucracy are require by law to submit their resignations at the beginning of each new administration. The administration then determines which such resignations to accept and which to reject. To the extent this is true (and when I write "my understanding"...it's a really, really good understanding...), then yes, they really were asked to leave, but under the protocol as above.

I understand this site is not for politics, so just a general commentary that all sides usually have motivation and tendency to paint their point of view in the best light. This is definitely again one of those cases when watching the public discourse and positioning. There will a mishmash of reality and non-reality everywhere where one looks. Some may be better than others, of course, but a black and white situation it is not.

I find it interesting that Elon Musk has interjected himself between all this. Vegan seats may be nothing compared to this. :)

Are any experienced twitterusers able to provide useful clues as to the best means to determine what tweets are likely to be non-alternative facts....so to speak? I'm sensing parsing the world's info-feeds is about to get yet one or two levels more complicated.
Usually you can get a good feel by looking at overall tweet history.

For instance, the rogue Dept of State twitter statements should give you a good idea what they're about:

Screen Shot 2017-01-26 at 1.03.11 PM.png

Ugh. So when a new account shows up - like the ones you listed????? - one needs not only to assess the responsibility level not only of the account owner, but, it seems to me, that of all the active responders/jumpers-on?

This must be one of the ways through which those of us who are mere human beings tend to gravitate towards those feeds the contents of which are comfortable to us.

I hate the internet.....

Reactions: copyhacker
By the way, Bonnie: it is my understanding that all senior department officials across the spectrum of D.C. bureaucracy are require by law to submit their resignations at the beginning of each new administration. The administration then determines which such resignations to accept and which to reject. To the extent this is true (and when I write "my understanding"...it's a really, really good understanding...), then yes, they really were asked to leave, but under the protocol as above.

Absolutely true. But in other cases, they've asked Obama appointees to stay in place until the resignation would take effect - ostensibly so that departments wouldn't be running aground. In this case, all are leaving with no one experienced stepping into their shoes. That (imo, obviously) tells the story.

As new administrations come in, departments are asked to submit resignations - and then decisions are made. It's a nice way to move people out. But this appears different than the norm. Appears you and I will disagree here. :)

Ugh. So when a new account shows up - like the ones you listed????? - one needs not only to assess the responsibility level not only of the account owner, but, it seems to me, that of all the active responders/jumpers-on?

This must be one of the ways through which those of us who are mere human beings tend to gravitate towards those feeds the contents of which are comfortable to us.

I hate the internet.....
If you read the feeds, it's mostly retweeting scientific data that (for now) is shut down until reviewed by a political committee, not scientists.

Reactions: T34ME
This is the original AP story many MSM sites published:

Several senior diplomats resign as Trump admin takes shape - US/World - News-Sentinel.com

This is the quietly updated AP story:

Senior diplomat resignations accepted as Trump team enters - US/World - News-Sentinel.com

You can see how basically the whole story changed quietly.

Quite revealing, really. Nobody seems to be saying they swapped the story, just quiet "updated" dates in some heading (like on CNN). Many sites still have the old URL for the story from the first AP piece, while the heading (which the URL is based) in the story itself has been updated with the quiet swap of the story.

Hilarious. Another great example. Thanks for posting.

I hate the internet.....

I hope everyone can now see who has the Paul Bunyan sized axe to grind that is posting the real propaganda.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I hope everyone can now see who has the Paul Bunyan sized axe to grind that is posting that propaganda.

Yes, we all can see it, and the pictures of Trump's inauguration that dwarfed all others. And the 3 - 5 million fraudulent voters that stole the popular vote from Trump.

Yes, we all see who has the "Paul Bunyan sized axe to grind."

But don't worry, "We shall over-comb!"

Everybody is biased, everybody. That includes myself. It is just human nature. The best end-result is an environment where ideas and info are constantly challenged because of this.

Even facts can turn out to be wrong - or can be right but presented in a misleading (intentionally or unintentionally) or partial manner. Even scientists can have biases and can be wrong - that basically is the whole premise of science, to constantly question itself.

The gravitation towards bubbles is thus natural but unfortunate. I for one am happy to see that Elon is taking an interesting approach across usual fault-lines on this one. Exciting to see how it plays out for him and his companies in the new administration era.

... it is my understanding that all senior department officials across the spectrum of D.C. bureaucracy are require by law to submit their resignations at the beginning of each new administration. The administration then determines which such resignations to accept and which to reject. ...

Are they required by law to submit resignations, or is it merely customary for political appointees to offer resignation so the new administration can appoint its own people? The first strikes me as unlikely. The second seems much more likely. Just my common-sense opinion, understanding that the law is never governed by common sense.

Are they required by law to submit resignations, or is it merely customary for political appointees to offer resignation so the new administration can appoint its own people? The first strikes me as unlikely. The second seems much more likely. Just my common-sense opinion, understanding that the law is never governed by common sense.

Political appointees' appointments expire with the term of the outgoing President. If they are in "key positions", and their replacement has not yet been identified or confirmed, sometimes they are asked to stay on to ensure a smooth transition.

That's how it's supposed to work. I don't know the specifics of these State Department people who stepped down.

I think Trump opposition is right to oppose trump for a large variety of reasons, but are also overly sensitive right now like a cornered feline ready to attack anything that looks remotely threatening. I'm seriously anti-Trump myself (though NOT anti-Republican or anti-conservative), but I'm starting to check myself into not immediately negatively reacting to absolutely everything that happens.

The great thing about Elon is he combines smarts, a desire to do what is right for humanity, and business savvy. The business savvy is part of the reason Elon is still in business while many other idealist companies have either failed or never gotten off the ground. I think we are seeing a little of that in his attitudes towards Tillerson and the Trump administration. Everyone is quick to burn bridges right now. Elon is trying to put out fires. I don't think anyone will be completely happy with him for awhile, but no one will be completely against him either. Hopefully, it will all work out for the best. Maybe he can even be a rare unifying force amid the near political civil war. In the end, we need to figure out how to come together.

Last edited:
Hemp plas
Plastic bags have alternatives, a ban of them has no impact. But what about the umbrella you use when it rains (CA has been having a lot)? What about the cables connecting you to the internet? What about the key board you type with? What about the motherboard and other electronics that make the server of TMC where you post? The list goes on and on. Plastic is everywhere and you can find it any place you look at. Probably even when you are deep in a National Park, because the tent is still made of plastic and you would likely wear some jacket made with plastic.

As a matter of fact, I have a PhD in environmental health science and am working in this field in a university. You can ask any scientist if banning oil now is good for the overall well-being of the society and I guarantee any scientist will tell you no. What should be focused on is mitigating the negative side effects and/or find better alternatives, not crucify it.
Hemp plastic (just to nudge the thread a bit farther OT).

In all fairness, the mainstream media was reporting the wrong (fake?) view just some time ago. I believe a lot of the stories were updated quietly, because I read quite different postings a couple of hours ago from them.

Changes are flying so fast that the media is completely stumbling in trying to keep up with exactly what is going on. Half the things I've read have had updates clarifying extremely important elements.

It's also been a long time since the last presidential change so all the millenniums in the media have no idea what happens with the change.

Trump also invokes a certain level of panic in a lot of us, and that leads to misunderstandings.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Status
Not open for further replies.