Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will probably trigger a lot of people. White rich guy makes fun out of lbgtqia! How dare you! Ofc he is making fun of tech companies trying to virtue signal by changing their logo, an act with a very cost and very low impact. But it’s meme, he knows that Tesla also sends a fabulous car to the pride rallies and is also making fun of Tesla.
So it's a pointless self own that reinforces the claim for some that he's an anti LGBTQ bully. Good job Elon, awesome tweeting again.

1654050841291.png

Reactions: FlatSix911
So it's a pointless self own that reinforces the claim for some that he's an anti LGBTQ bully. Good job Elon, awesome tweeting again.
No it’s just a funny meme that he shared because it’s funny. It is commentary on what social media has done to companies and agencies as the DEIA bureaucracy has wormed their way in to every aspect of the workforce. I get more emails about DEIA events at this point than I get for things relevant to my job. Few people actually attend them but they create steady work for the busybodies with degrees that end in the word “studies” that the universities keep pumping out each year and provide cover for the company if anyone tries to call them racist/sexist/or insert your favorite phobic on Twitter (or sue them).

Anyone who claims Elon is an anti-LGBTQ bully is doing so for political reasons not because of any sincerely held belief. Some of this is childish for sure but I’m glad Elon is calling this crap out for what it is.

I miss the original wide color selection.

When I first start shopping for a model s I see a green one. I thought it was weird and I skipped it. Now I regret that since Teslas are now like Apple PCs. The odd color to set it apart would have been welcome.
I’ve got a 2018 Model 3 in silver and most people think it’s an S because they only made the color for like 6 months. I agree it has an Apple feel to it where they all look the same after a while.

Elon doing his best to appear as the heartless billionaire so many accuse him of with a fact free take on working from home.

He's threatening the executive staff. It's probably an easier group to threaten since those types can't just leave the company.

If he tries this with the people who do real work there then he might have a problem. Apple exec who quit over return-to-office returns to Google and WFH

Also, I don't like his tone. It's like he just assumes that his employees are lazy and won't get anything done he micromanages them. Tesla might not be a pleasant place to work at.

I'm apparently the only person that found Elon's 40 hours a week at work message appropriate. Not saying these guidelines or messaging is ideal, but rather that this policy is not unreasonable.
There are lots of tradeoffs with remote work and truth be told, for my routine tasks, there is little difference between home and the office.

Perks are:

• I get more sleep and have a better work/life balance working from home.
  • It lets me do little things like laundry during the middle of the work day which leaves more free time on the weekend.
  • Not commuting gives me an hour of my day back and saves me money as well.
  • If we are working on code it just goes in the git repository and we can all access it from wherever.

Negatives include:
  • Team building and innovation has clearly suffered during the pandemic in my experience.
  • Some people take forever to respond to emails and chat messages... it is pretty obvious they aren't actually at their computers during core hours like they are supposed to be.
  • I used to run into people from other groups in the break room and find out about interesting new tools they were using or ideas they had but that never happens anymore when working remotely.
  • I also used to just walk down to my coworkers office and hammer out tough problems on a white board, now we try to do the same over awkward teams chats and it just doesn't work as well.

For a company like Tesla, that is all about innovation and staying on the cutting edge of technology, I can see a lot of potential downsides to having the bulk or your staff remote. I agree that the policy is not unreasonable. Elon clearly works his ass off so he is not a hypocrite when it comes to work ethic.

Last edited:
Reactions: abasile and ohmman
There are lots of tradeoffs with remote work and truth be told, for my routine tasks, there is little difference between home and the office.

Perks are:

• It lets me do little things like laundry during the middle of the work day which leaves more free time on the weekend.
  • If we are working on code it just goes in the git repository and we can all access it from wherever.

Negatives include:
  • Team building and innovation has clearly suffered during the pandemic in my experience.
  • Some people take forever to respond to emails and chat messages... it is pretty obvious they aren't actually at their computers during core hours like they are supposed to be.
  • I used to run into people from other groups in the break room and find out about interesting new tools they were using or ideas they had but that never happens anymore when working remotely.
  • I also used to just walk down to my coworkers office and hammer out tough problems on a white board, now we try to do the same over awkward teams chats and it just doesn't work as well.

For a company like Tesla, that is all about innovation and staying on the cutting edge of technology, I can see a lot of potential downsides to having the bulk or your staff remote. I agree that the policy is not unreasonable. Elon clearly works his ass off so he is not a hypocrite when it comes to work ethic.
I founded and ran a finance company that was entirely work from home - we had no physical offices for the 12 years we were in business before we sold and I retired. It’s absolutely doable, but your points about team building are well taken.

Reactions: JRP3
I founded and ran a finance company that was entirely work from home - we had no physical offices for the 12 years we were in business before we sold and I retired. It’s absolutely doable, but your points about team building are well taken.
Absolutely can be done and done well. Just discussing my observations as a scientist that has worked for the same company as an in-office worker, hybrid worker, and now full-time teleworker. In my experience, innovation has suffered during full-time remote work.

Twitter has a pretty flexible work from home policy. I assume that when Elon finally closes the deal that they'll be required to show up in the office as well.

I'm apparently the only person that found Elon's 40 hours a week at work message appropriate. Not saying these guidelines or messaging is ideal, but rather that this policy is not unreasonable.

I guess it depends on your priorities as a company. Working from home is a benefit that a lot of employees see as part of their compensation. Taking that away will reduce moral and increase turnover. Do the advantages of increased face time make up for this? Maybe.

Should probably be 99/100. The rainbow on the car has colors out of order, typical Tesla build quality.
It would be nice if Tesla offered more colors...

Considering the company is run by a Physicist, bad move.

Perks are:

Negatives include:

I've been working from home since 2010. I'm the entire software department from the company and only really have regular contact with one person. Sometimes he gets busy and doesn't answer emails very quickly, which can be annoying. Otherwise it's great. My health is better because I'm getting more sleep and not having to commute is a big stress reducer.

SAN FRANCISCO — CEO of Tesla and entrepreneur Elon Musk has reportedly made a public offering to buy a rake he recently stepped on that smashed him in the face.

“Aha, very shrewd, rake,” said Musk, directly to the rake on the ground. “I see you, like many of the other embarrassing things I’ve been injuring myself on lately, have fallen victim to the ‘woke’ mindset that sees you seek out and tear down those with ideas counterintuitive to yours. I don’t respect your approach, rake, but I would like to invest in your future. How much to buy you straight up?”

Eyewitness accounts estimated that Musk waited for as long as ten minutes before realizing the rake wasn’t going to respond to his lucrative offer.

“A lot of us gathered once we realized who it was,” said Tracy Brooks, one of many onlookers. “And after a while we were yelling out, stuff like, ‘Hey Elon, that rake ain’t gonna answer you!’ and ‘You’re bleeding from the nose, Elon!,’ but he just kept on standing there, staring at the rake. Eventually I think he realized nothing was going to happen, so he just made an announcement that he’d been joking the whole time and got the hell out of there. I hope he went and got some help, his nose looked really bad.”

“And to think, he wouldn’t have stepped on that rake in the first place if he just had some yellow caution signs up,” Brooks said. “But he hates the color.”

As of press time, Musk had announced intentions to shoot the rake into space.

Have to admit that Hard Drive is pretty funny and did dunk on Elon pretty good. Definitely higher than 6/10. Then again, the best subjects of jokes basically write themselves and lately Elon has been doing a good job of stepping right into it. Like the rake above.
Hard Drive would like to formally apologize for dragging Mr. Musk so hard that not even his nearly 100 million Twitter followers could save him from getting ratioed several times in the span of 20 minutes.

Absolutely can be done and done well. Just discussing my observations as a scientist that has worked for the same company as an in-office worker, hybrid worker, and now full-time teleworker. In my experience, innovation has suffered during full-time remote work.
Tesla and Spacex are manufacturers. Having worked at GM for a bit with the plant manager (10,000 employees) I can't imagine any of that professional staff not being present. I prefer work with only a couple of days a week in the office. But I would not run a manufacturer with that policy.

I have a close relative who works as an engineer in baseball. For his current team to keep him he is allowed to work mostly remotely. Once he negotiated that work at home deal, the team phycologist asked if he could work from his home in Montana. People be crazy today. Some people need to be physically at work.

Elon in a nutshell:

”The company's investors regarded Musk as inexperienced and had him replaced with Intuit CEO Bill Harris by the end of the year.
@elonmusk
this must have been very hard and painful!! I believe u were a victim of politics. Could you pls shed more light into the event?”

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk
“I never wanted to be CEO – just wanted to work on product/technology. Bill Harris sounded like he would be a great CEO, given his Intuit experience, but he was not. Running companies hurts my heart, but I don’t see any other way to bring technology & design to fruition.”

Status
Not open for further replies.