Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, things that I found new:
- next landing of a falcon stage is on a platform in the ocean. This will be done on the next flight.
- electric powered aeroplanes are closer than we think. It would be possible if battery capacity reaches 400 Wh per KG. Current technology already achieves 300Wh per KG.

electric powered aeroplanes are closer than we think. It would be possible if battery capacity reaches 400 Wh per KG. Current technology already achieves 300Wh per KG.

This is the most interesting interview I have ever heard with Elon because the interviewer is the head of the MIT aeronautical and astrophysics program and the audience was aeronautical and astrophysics students and professors. So he could speak at a much higher level than the typical mass media interview.

The first 4 1/2 minutes you can skip, then it gets good.

Elon's statement about the relatively modest increase needed in battery energy density to make electric planes viable blew my mind! And his comment that with gimbaled electric fan motors for propulsion the tail assembly and rudder and ailerons were unnecessary was an eye opener.

And I was interested to learn that he is a major fan of Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, as I was in the 60's. And the first Star Wars film was the first movie he ever saw! Imagine the impact. It wasn't my first film, or even close, but I distinctly recall the experience of standing in line to see it, I had only seen a trailer for it which revealed nothing about the film, it was just a shot of an expanding star field.

Wouldn't you need them to retain flight control in a glide if you ever lost power?

I don't know enough about aeronautics to answer your question with any confidence, but your point seems valid. In a normal plane, my understanding is that the tail fins actually keep the rear of the plane from rising up, not from "falling down". And without a rudder control surface the plane will yaw.

I am guessing that Elon is saying that with multiple computer controlled gimbaled fan motors many of the traditional airplane control surfaces are not needed. But as you say, in the case of total less of power, there needs to be a system to control the plane.

Multiple electrical backup systems and independent power supplies would of course be a good idea.

I'm convinced that Elon Musk is closer to being Mr. Fantastic than IRON MAN. So he is very likely to produce the world's first Fantasticar.
Fantasticar_000.jpg
Fantasticar_002.jpg
Fantasticar_001.jpg

I don't know enough about aeronautics to answer your question with any confidence, but your point seems valid. In a normal plane, my understanding is that the tail fins actually keep the rear of the plane from rising up, not from "falling down". And without a rudder control surface the plane will yaw.
While these are true, I don't see any reason that that couldn't be overcome with different wing placement/design.

But as you say, in the case of total less of power, there needs to be a system to control the plane.
As for glide if you lose power... This is an interesting question, and perhaps it's worth looking at the odds of this situation in modern aircraft, vs the current abilities in that respect, (my understanding is that even in current aircraft the ability to control is very limited) and whether there is a different option to increase the reliability instead?

On a separate note. I was unable to get the links in this thread to work for me. But I did find the presentation on Youtube (I found many 1-2 minute clips, but I finally found a whole one as well) One on One with Elon Musk MIT AeroAstro Centennial Symposium - YouTube total length 1hr23min

While these are true, I don't see any reason that that couldn't be overcome with different wing placement/design.

As for glide if you lose power... This is an interesting question, and perhaps it's worth looking at the odds of this situation in modern aircraft, vs the current abilities in that respect, (my understanding is that even in current aircraft the ability to control is very limited) and whether there is a different option to increase the reliability instead?

On a separate note. I was unable to get the links in this thread to work for me. But I did find the presentation on Youtube (I found many 1-2 minute clips, but I finally found a whole one as well) One on One with Elon Musk MIT AeroAstro Centennial Symposium - YouTube total length 1hr23min

Having the elevator in front of the wing is called a "canard" configuration, there are a number of planes that use it. Getting it right requires very careful design, but it has a number of advantages including better efficiency.

I think a rear-mounted, gimbaled ducted fan would probably work as a tail even without power (so long as you could still control the gimbal).

Status
Not open for further replies.