Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon please veto your lawyers!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am OK with having to press conveniently located time-out button once in 30 seconds to verify that I am awake. As long as said button is not exclusively located on the steering wheel. Sorry, I can't explain it even clearer. Will have to leave this argument as is.

I understand what you are saying.

The whole knee driving thing in the first post just added confusion. You don't want to have to touch the steering wheel at all, with anything.

Having to lift your arm to press a button on the 17" screen every 30 seconds would drive people nuts.

Oh yea, forgot Teslas don't have any buttons anymore... /s

- - - Updated - - -

You don't want to have to touch the steering wheel at all, with anything.

smiley_thumbs_up.gif

Very poor analogy.
How often are you flying your plane in formation with 2-4 other planes within 8 feet?

Indeed and drivers are not subject to anywhere near the scrutiny a pI'll is to keep their license.

- - - Updated - - -

There are situations where the driver must take control immediately, in less than one second, sometimes much less.
Which is why this could only possibly happen if their hands were constantly on the wheel. Typical reaction times mean you'll find you cannot move your foot from throttle to brake in that time - let alone grab the wheel if you were to leave the car doing the steering.

So if I'm not flying in formation with other aircraft I'm not responsible for the operation of my aircraft. Got it.

That wasn't the point Zythryn was making, as I believe you realize.

Zythryn's point was that as a pilot of an airplane, except for the times when you are flying in formation with other planes in very close proximity, you have at least a little bit of time to take over from the autopilot when needed, without almost immediately colliding with another plane or the ground, etc. That is different from the time one might have when having to take over from the autopilot in a car travelling down the highway, with cars on both sides in the adjacent lanes just a few feet away, as well as cars in front and behind.

If driver's hands are not on the steering wheel, they might turn back and play with kids, feed a baby, grab the briefcase from rear seat or do something that requires turning back. While doing so it is very likely they would bump into the steering wheel without realizing it. This will cancel autopilot. The problem is, because the driver is facing back, he wouldn't realize autopilot is turned off. It is also possible the driver will realize but ignore it because he assumes autopilot will correct the steering and continue working.

Some might say, why would moving the steering wheel turn off autopilot? Because in an emergency the driver needs to be able to steer away from danger without pressing a button first. Therefore by design, moving the steering wheel (or pressing the brakes) must turn off autopilot. Accidentally turning off autopilot without realizing it is a big danger especially if the driver is not facing forward.

Last edited:
Do you guys somehow think that the car, with no hands on the wheel (and no autopilot) will spontaneously combust, or go out of control, or something?

My Model S (non autopilot) will track just fine on the freeway hands off for at least 30 seconds, maybe more. The car doesn't blow up or suddenly spin out just because no one is holding on to the wheel. Just thought you guys should know...

But, I also realize that the world won't end and the car will keep on going.

Well, that's an interesting thought considering that the world for someone could indeed end as thousands of pounds of metal are hurtling down the road and not under the control of the driver.

I understand that some people are under the illusion they're paying full attention (when they aren't), and believe they can respond quick enough under all situations (when they can't).

The autopilot features are specifically designed for freeway driving, I recall from somewhere that it will ask the driver to take over on windy roads or where markings are unreadable. Driving off the cliff while on autopilot becomes almost an impossibility unless the driver intends it.

Well, let's at least wait for the feature to be launched before we can make this type of statement. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well that defeats the purpose of auto lane keeping for me. On long drives I like to sit back and relax my shoulders, hands by making slight steering adjustments with my leg touching the steering wheel right above my left knee.

That sounds really safe, doesn't it?

I never said it was a timed nag feature. Any nag feature when it comes to lane keeping is a bad feature in my book.
No timed nag = no nag at all. The way it's been described, it sounds like the car wants you to put a hand on the wheel only in situations where it has doubts about its own lane-keeping ability. That's not a nag, that's a reasonable safety precaution.

There's too much assumption in this thread about how things will or won't work. The descriptions we do have at this point are vague and possibly outdated. Just wait until we see the public version before complaining about it. If we're lucky that might be next week.

No timed nag = no nag at all. The way it's been described, it sounds like the car wants you to put a hand on the wheel only in situations where it has doubts about its own lane-keeping ability. That's not a nag, that's a reasonable safety precaution.

There's too much assumption in this thread about how things will or won't work. The descriptions we do have at this point are vague and possibly outdated. Just wait until we see the public version before complaining about it. If we're lucky that might be next week.

For a month I searched for the best car with lane keeping. Unfortunately I didn't take notes because none of the cars I tested had an acceptable lane keeping system. At least one of the cars had a nag telling me to grab the steering wheel that appeared when it lost one or both of lane lines.
The problem was that in the vast majority times when lane lines were lost, very shortly after the nag appeared, the car had already locked back on the lane lines. Regardless the car still forced me to grab the steering wheel even though there was nothing for me to do other than appease the nag.
I have more experience than most at driving with these lane keeping systems. You constantly look for situations that you know might cause a problem for the system, like an exit ramp, faded lane lines, no lane line(s) or merging lanes. When the car acts squirrely you will grab the steering wheel before you see a nag.
This is why I insist the nag is useless. A more suitable nag would be one that detects you've taken your eyes off the road for an extended amount time.

I created this thread because I think if the nag makes it past the beta it will likely not go away anytime soon and maybe never.

Last edited:
For a month I searched for the best car with lane keeping. Unfortunately I didn't take notes because none of the cars I tested had an acceptable lane keeping system. At least one of the cars had a nag telling me to grab the steering wheel that appeared when it lost one or both of lane lines.
The problem was that in the vast majority times when lane lines were lost, very shortly after the nag appeared, the car had already locked back on the lane lines. Regardless the car still forced me to grab the steering wheel even though there was nothing for me to do other than appease the nag.
I have more experience than most at driving with these lane keeping systems. You constantly look for situations that you know might cause a problem for the system, like an exit ramp, faded lane lines, no lane line(s) or merging lanes. When the car acts squirrely you will grab the steering wheel before you see a nag.
This is why I insist the nag is useless. A more suitable nag would be one that detects you've taken your eyes off the road for an extended amount time.

I created this thread because I think if the nag makes it past the beta it will likely not go away anytime soon and maybe never.
At you suggesting that only totally no nag AP will make you happy? Just wondering, what would you be doing with your both hands when car is on AP?