Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweet - working on existing radar to work like a lidar.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4Md7rZt.jpg
Great News! That means that it should be available to deliver in 18 months or so.

Have you all considered the possibility that he tweeted this to counter the Osbourne effect on current-generation AP cars?

If people are led to believe that existsing AP hardware can be nearly as good as whatever is hypothesized to be in AP 2.0, then they'll be less likely to defer a purchase now.

Elon's tweet is pretty vague and definitely non-committal. We should not be surprised if we never hear about this again.

Yes, absolutely. I think Tesla is very concerned about total dropoff in Model S sales and that people are either waiting for AP 2.0 or the Model 3 so the company is trying to counter. Look at all the recent prices drops and the referral program.

Now I do think that they are legitimately looking into improving the existing AP but only as a counter to prevent further sales drops as people are holding out.

Yes, absolutely. I think Tesla is very concerned about total dropoff in Model S sales and that people are either waiting for AP 2.0 or the Model 3 so the company is trying to counter. Look at all the recent prices drops and the referral program.

Now I do think that they are legitimately looking into improving the existing AP but only as a counter to prevent further sales drops as people are holding out.

Looks like "total dropoff in Model S sales" did not materialize.

Looks like "total dropoff in Model S sales" did not materialize.

They did release AP2 hardware last fall too. Ironically I think it's the Model X that is keeping Model S sales strong. I suspect some people who might otherwise go for an SUV get the Model S instead of the X because they either don't want the falcon wing doors, the big windshield, or both.

If you don't want to draw a lot of attention to yourself, the Model S is the car to get. It looks like many modern ICE sedans, so you need to know about Tesla to notice the car. The Model X is unique and everyone in a parking lot knows something different is around when you open the back doors on an X. And with the hatch a Model S is close to as convenient for hauling. Mine has replaced my SO's Subaru as the household hauler.

The S also has the advantage of the best range. The S 100D and P100Ds are the world's only production EVs with more than 300 miles of range.

Meh, more hype, I think by now we've sort of got immune to all this. The list of promises and catch up features keeps growing and the hype machine keeps churning tweets out to keep sales strong.

I've lost out on features I can't get (power liftgate, air-suspension, improved performance, AP2.5 FWIW) and now feel the same potentially with the software aspect of it as well.

I've come to sort of accept the car as it is now and deal with it, still a very nice car though, pity its not full potential but oh well, I'm past that.

EAP/FSD is a major reason why my wife wants to replace our "classic" S P85 with a new Model 3. Fortunately, Tesla's production delays have given us more time before we have to decide on finalizing our order.

But the lack of progress on even getting the AP2 hardware to work at AP1 levels is a concern - which could make it more difficult to give Tesla another $60K for a second car that isn't close to meeting expectations on autopilot...

And the inability of Tesla to fix the obvious bugs they introduced in the media player a year ago with the 8.0 release is a constant reminder of Tesla's challenges in getting software released - and getting it to work correctly...

As Tesla gets closer to really manufacturing the Model 3 - and selling it to customers, if they don't get these software issues addressed, it could start impacting their sales...

As an "early adopter", we accepted the tradeoff on software reliability & missed schedules/promises, to get a long range EV - we've bought two Model S cars.

At some point, Tesla will run out of "early adopters" - and start hitting customers who want the software to work. That could happen sometime next year when Model 3's start going to non-Tesla customers - or could happen when someone has a real competitor (not the Bolt) to Tesla's cars.

Tesla can do better - producing higher quality releases - without significantly slowing down the release process. It will require some changes to their software process - and getting more testers involved would help them considerably.

What's surprising is that Tesla really hasn't made any progress on software quality improvements - in the 5 years since the Model S hit the market...

Reactions: Nevek
What's surprising is that Tesla really hasn't made any progress on software quality improvements - in the 5 years since the Model S hit the market...

Imagine it's 2013 and back in 2008 Elon had tweeted:

"Spacex will land orbital first stage on Atlantic barge in approx 18 months."

Hype or ridiculously optimistic time frame or both?

(I understand that for many people here, it's really the $3000+ for AP which makes the waiting harder. No one likes to see their money "ignored". It's almost like some sort of insult to a family member)

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I've been hearing that for several years now. But Tesla sales keep growing every year. Wonder why? ;)

That is true. Reason being Tesla is a master at the quarterly demand lever games? :) I think it is fair to say Tesla has needed more activity/antics to keep the sales going and growing since around summer 2016. The inventory discounts are one such example.

For example, it seems they have hit some level of slowdown on the Model S in existing markets. Now Tesla is going on the road e.g. in the UK to keep the momentum. Model 3 osborning is one reason (and it will succeed IMO nevertheless), but it isn't impossible that Tesla has some of their PR issues starting to nag them. Hindering growth at least, if not absolute sales.

After all, the real reason is that Tesla is the only game in town for a large-battery premium BEV. The biggest test to their fame and loyalty probably comes when there actually is competition.

• Funny
Reactions: vgrinshpun