Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon tweets "no waypoints", "car will autonavigate to your destination."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's still one more than the system allows though because it's a nav system from 1993.

You misunderstand the point of the salesman feature too.

I need to go to say a grocery store, pharmacy, and a hardware store. Travelling salesman problem solves for the best route to do that.

It's not necessarily daily useful, but it's pretty useful occasionally and it's a 20 year old solved problem and is trivial to support on modern compute.

However, for such a small dataset, a modern touchscreen/computer interface makes the traveling salesman problem easy for humans to solve.

It displays the suggested route on the map.
You look at it and see that it's dumb.
You drag and change the order to the right one.
Done.

Although, probably not too difficult to have a "Sell!" button on the navigation and recalculate, but might be a lot cheaper in processing and data to let the human do it.

Last edited:
That's still one more than the system allows though because it's a nav system from 1993.

You misunderstand the point of the salesman feature too.

I need to go to say a grocery store, pharmacy, and a hardware store. Travelling salesman problem solves for the best route to do that.

It's not necessarily daily useful, but it's pretty useful occasionally and it's a 20 year old solved problem and is trivial to support on modern compute.
Just find me a damn Chic-fil-et on my current route. Up to 10 miles out of the way is acceptable.

• Funny
Reactions: gavine
Do it for the kittens!

Driving back from out of town one time, we had received an email that there were super cute kittens available for fostering. We had enough juice to make it home with a bit to spare. We were driving in from the north. We live on the west and the animal center was on the east. There was no good way to tell if we had enough juice to divert, pickup the kittens, and make it home all before the foster center closed.

And, based on experience one does not want to stop to charge w/ a crate of kittens in the car and no litter box nearby.

Again, do it for the kittens!

Reactions: Kyleresq
My read on this issue is that inserting waypoints if you are on a trip is nice, but not really important. The car's nav system is so fast that once you reach the first waypoint, you press the button, recite the destination and in 5 or 6 seconds you are on your way. Inserting waypoints once you have entered a final destination on almost all GPS systems takes longer than this.
The one sub-app that is truly useful is "The salesman's route". This would not only give waypoints, but establish the most efficient routing between the waypoints. Great for garage sales! :)

My read on this issue is that inserting waypoints if you are on a trip is nice, but not really important. The car's nav system is so fast that once you reach the first waypoint, you press the button, recite the destination and in 5 or 6 seconds you are on your way. Inserting waypoints once you have entered a final destination on almost all GPS systems takes longer than this.
The one sub-app that is truly useful is "The salesman's route". This would not only give waypoints, but establish the most efficient routing between the waypoints. Great for garage sales! :)

Not just garage sales... frequently if I'm planning a vacation I use the travelling salesman feature... for example during a trip to France a couple years ago we were staying in the Loire Valley for a week, and I had a list of various wineries, castles, and other sites we wanted to see.

Each day I had a handful in a roughly general area we were going to visit...The travelling salesman solution (thanks Garmin) let me figure out the optimal routes for each day without a lot of manual work or knowing anything at all about the local roads in the region.

Whilst that covers routing, it doesn't cover charging strategy.

Great if your journey has easy access to suitable charging, but if it doesn't, then the better charging strategies cannot be determined unless the car knows where it is heading in advance. Waypoints allow this, leg by leg planning doesn't.

that doesn’t save the kittens. It’s understanding the range that is important (to me).

Fast? You've obviously never heard of the 1st generation of the MCU....

Do it for the kittens!

Driving back from out of town one time, we had received an email that there were super cute kittens available for fostering. We had enough juice to make it home with a bit to spare. We were driving in from the north. We live on the west and the animal center was on the east. There was no good way to tell if we had enough juice to divert, pickup the kittens, and make it home all before the foster center closed.

And, based on experience one does not want to stop to charge w/ a crate of kittens in the car and no litter box nearby.

Again, do it for the kittens!

Kittens fit great in the frunk....

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus
I'd really like to see options for a destination. For a particular destination we frequent, the car always picks the worst route and therefore I can't use Navigate on Autopilot. I have to wait until we get to a point in the trip where the car has no choice but to choose the route I would prefer to take and then enable Navigate on Autopilot.

Even my lame Entune system in my Toyota Tundra will give me 3 options on how to get to a destination.

Reactions: liuping and TESLEV!
Seriously on a road trip I may not be stopping for charging but maybe I want to stop and get lunch?

or if I’m headed home and need to stop at a grocery store? Today my cars tells me 5 different routes to go home based on traffic on any given day. How about get me home and stop at the most direct grocery store along the way?
This may have been brought up before. Multiple waypoint settings are known as a "Salesman's route" Back in the 1990's when we used to go to a lot of garage sales. I would enter all the destination addresses in my Garmin GPS (including my home address as the last stop)and the GPS would calculate a route with the most efficient routing between all of the destinations. That's what Tesla needs to do. Will it ever happen? I doubt it!

This may have been brought up before. Multiple waypoint settings are known as a "Salesman's route" Back in the 1990's when we used to go to a lot of garage sales. I would enter all the destination addresses in my Garmin GPS (including my home address as the last stop)and the GPS would calculate a route with the most efficient routing between all of the destinations. That's what Tesla needs to do. Will it ever happen? I doubt it!

i do long road trips and i would love to have waypoints for all my charging stops.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
The most obvious need for me: round trips. Specifically, round trips that have no overnight charging. For example, let's say here in Texas I want to do an overnight in Fredericksburg, TX (a popular tourist destination) from Austin (state capital). Yeah, I can get there. I know that. But can I get back? How much extra driving can I do? Why do I have to hit a third-party website to get an idea?

The most obvious need for me: round trips. Specifically, round trips that have no overnight charging. For example, let's say here in Texas I want to do an overnight in Fredericksburg, TX (a popular tourist destination) from Austin (state capital). Yeah, I can get there. I know that. But can I get back? How much extra driving can I do? Why do I have to hit a third-party website to get an idea?
Weak example because the Navigator provides you expected battery arrival percentage for the round-trip

Weak example because the Navigator provides you expected battery arrival percentage for the round-trip
If I drive from Houston to Fredericksburg I have several SC hops to get there. I guess I could cancel the trip at the last SC and see how what the round trip looks like from there. But I'm guessing at charging if I want to go Enchanted Rock (popular destination) the next day on the way back. And since I couldn't put the full trip in ahead of time, I didn't know there was construction and a longer-than-normal return until the next day. Can you tell this really happened? :)

The bit Elon is missing (sorry, Elon-ing) is that he assumes you want to drive the single route the Nav gives you.
Most of the time if I'm day tripping I want to take the scenic route and not all the fast highways. I want to drive through the rolling hills not the main road with 40 traffic lights. The nav can't figure that out, so assuming the fast route would get us home, the scenic route would not - fail for the Nav and we are stranded.
Can't count the number of journeys the beta trip planner would have left us stranded had we not used ABRP to do real trip planning.

Driving somewhere with lots of stops or points of interest while ignoring charging to the final destination is nuts.
Elon suggesting the solution is to just keep jamming in the next stop is just missing the point. How many times is the best charging stop the one you just passed.
The fact the he suggests the automated home/work/calendar thing shows how much he misses the point.
Can't speak for him, but I know how to get to work and then back to home - I've got that pretty much figured out - don't need the nav to tell me.
I do however need the nav to help me make it to a real final destination while getting a nice drive and decent food along the way - the current nav is useless for that.
FSD is about to make this a real problem - currently the stupid nav is minor issue. But we are going to have to start micro managing our journeys just to get to do what we want.Most of the time it will be easier to drive and not use FSD.

I guess my issue is that I can't figure why ABRP can do so much with just what Tesla publish in the API - but Tesla can't even get close in-car.

Last edited:

If you do indeed have a true solution to the traveling salesman problem, then you are probably also a billionaire :)

It's not solved last I heard, just not an issue with modern computing power for the small number of data points involved in any real-world route.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar