Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon, Where is the FSD features you promised?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. All AP progress aside, Tesla would still need coast-to-coast autonomous snake superchargers. Don't see that happening anytime soon.

Oh, ok.. LA to NY *except* for SC stops. Ok then, when does the human take over? On the exit ramp? Approaching the SC? What if there's local parking lot traffic, or all the SCs are full,ICEd, or inoperative? And the exceptions and disclaimers begin. Elon mentioned the LA-to-NY thing once as a PR gimmick, but I think it will magically disappear, just like the battery swap stations did.

Personally I would accept a human inserting the charging cable after the car has self-driven into a stall as no controls touched.

It will be interesting to see if they can do it. I mean others have already done the 99% highway portion autonomously. Could Tesla's (with nVidia's help) FSD codebase extend to doing the rest reliably enough for a controlled (though uncontrolled) test...

It does not seem impossible to me, as Tesla could map and teach the car every relevant area in detail. Does not tell too much of real world performance, though.

Did Tesla ever complete that Roadster 3.0 roadtrip, by the way?

Don't worry Hank, we won't let it disappear.

We wont.

Even though I believe FSD with AP2 is possible in good weather and especially on a controlled geographical route, in honesty people have let so many past Tesla promises slide that the scepticim seems warranted how they would handle this one.

For example, would it be OK if Tesla does this on the 2.5 suite in Model 3 instead of 2.0...?

Many a Tesla promise has been moved to the next-generation product as they learn after the fact the limits of their current products...

For us, the lane hugging is only half the problem. When you couple it to the random darts into ongoing lanes of traffic, it gives a different perspective to lane hugging. 18 wheelers' lane hugging is done with drivers presumably under full control. With AP2, I never feel even remotely confident that the car won't randomly swerve somewhere when it detects a mosquito or a sign or an overhanging tree limb. Yes, it's almost totally random activity at this juncture.

On this note, the second to last update tried to do this for me (posted earlied on this forim) - have not repeated the conditions on the last:

"Had the first "it tried to ruin my car and maybe hurt someone" moment with the AP2 (17.26.76) today. Roadworks caused a freeway to turn and narrow a bit, with a solid white line on both sides of the lane, adjoined by another lane on the left (and beyond that a highway divider, behind which the opposing lanes) and by concrete blocks on the right. No problem with this for AP2, as the markings were clear and the weather was nice enough. Really, the road was clearly marked, the only problem was slightly narrower lanes and no room for error on the sides, so this was not the "road markings lead to a concrete divider" scenario at all.

Suddenly the road has a sort of diagonal, but partial (not fully across the lane) dark line going across the lane, covered in pitch/resin. Probably some remnant of old road markings or covering some cavity on the road or temporary changes made to the road during the work there. The actual roadmarkings on the side continue as usual in bright white, while this diagonal line twists/turns to one side, but again is dark and not a road marking by any standard. There are straight, solid, bright white lines marking the road on both sides of the lane. But this dark line does end under the left-side road marking, so it sort of starts extending from that.

It is sufficient for me to stiffen up expecting the worst - half thinking to myself I've spent too much time on TMC and am now dreading the unnecessary. Until now the only real problems with AP2 had been ghost brakes at overpasses (one bad, many unpleasant) and terrible undivided road performance. It had been pretty good on divided roads (which I was on), as far as following lane markings in good weather go...

But sure enough, AP2 starts turning alongside this sort of diagonal line! Straight towards those concrete blocks lining the lane on the right side! I mean - it stopped following beautiful, solid while lines on both sides of the lane and chose to start following a dark, partial twist in the middle of the lane into concrete obstacles. An absolutely insane decision from the EAP that just shows how limited its ability at the moment is... even if those road markings had not made sense, there was a huge wall of concrete right next to the lane it wanted to turn into, instead of that beautiful free air straight ahead.

It took a very strong twist of the already turning steering wheel on my part to cancel this movement. Everyone else in the car was stratled, though personally I was ready and was reacting, so it was more like adrenaline kicking in on my part.

Later on on the trip it got very confused again when overtaking and wanted to start following a car on the adjacent lane. At that point I just turned it off and drove the rest of the way. It stays off for now.

Other than that, staying within lane was slightly less ping-pongy for me. The overall feel is more aggressive than previous versions, I would not call it silky smooth."

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
With all due respect, I appreciate your interest in Tesla - but I daily drive AP2 and also a lot of AP1. They are functionally almost indistinguishable at this point and there are situations AP2 already handles better than AP1 (closing lane lanes, learning between updates). It has evolved very rapidly since release and continues to do so. Not sure what you're seeing on Youtube but AP2 is very competent since as far back as 17.17.4.

Disagree, AP1 remains superior to AP2 in lane-keeping as well as being aware of cars in adjacent lanes.

Disagree, AP1 remains superior to AP2 in lane-keeping as well as being aware of cars in adjacent lanes.

Being aware? Or showing it on the UI?

In terms of cars next to me I can't imagine anything being worse than AP1. The side monitoring system with ultrasonics is pretty bad. I expect that fairly quickly will see AP2 far surpass AP1 in side monitoring as soon as a Tesla utilizes the side cameras.

One area I am a bit concerned with regarding AP2 is the speed of the IC. I can't be the only one that notices how delayed the response is between when an event happens versus when the IC shows it. I'm not aware of any improvements of anything IC related with HW2.

• Informative
Well, AP2 is.

It does not employ its side cameras and it is not as good at keeping lane and using its ultrasonics...

Yet, it's going to keep getting better. They've had a year+ with the AP1 hardware, so I imagine this time next year it will be very solid, but there won't be any coast to coast FSD drive in December, that's just not happening IMHO.

Reactions: oktane
If you look at how (not) far EAP has come with AP2 in the last 10 months, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist like Elon to figure out we probably aren't going to see FSD magically appear in the remaining 5 months of this year. The cars are having a difficult enough time following a dotted line much less dealing with multiple cameras, maps, street signs, traffic signals, pedestrians, bicyclists, rain, snow, and 18-wheelers.

Well, AP2 is.

It does not employ its side cameras and it is not as good at keeping lane and using its ultrasonics...
Disagree on the ultrasonics also @S4WRXTTCS - if anything my AP2 picks them up faster than my AP1. Seriously - is there anybody else on the forum who owns both AP1 and AP2 that I can have a dialogue with to compare direct recent notes on driving both cars with the latest firmware - not just youtube watchers and guys who own only one vs the other?

It's interesting to see the new position of the old cheerleading squad. I can't tell you the amount of ridicule that was heaped on the AP2 folks in the December to March timeframe. Also seems the AP1 folks only consider a photo or video as "proof" of an AP2 problem. Everything else is "anecdotal evidence." For us, the lane hugging is only half the problem. When you couple it to the random darts into ongoing lanes of traffic, it gives a different perspective to lane hugging. 18 wheelers' lane hugging is done with drivers presumably under full control. With AP2, I never feel even remotely confident that the car won't randomly swerve somewhere when it detects a mosquito or a sign or an overhanging tree limb. Yes, it's almost totally random activity at this juncture.

This is disappointing. The trust many people put in AP1 off highway was very ill-informed. Now it seems to have flipped to a fundamental lack of trust for many.

The upside is probably fewer decapitations while using AP. Few things ruin the day more than a relaxing drive ending in decapitation.

• Funny
Reactions: oktane and NerdUno
Disagree on the ultrasonics also @S4WRXTTCS - if anything my AP2 picks them up faster than my AP1. Seriously - is there anybody else on the forum who owns both AP1 and AP2 that I can have a dialogue with to compare direct recent notes on driving both cars with the latest firmware - not just youtube watchers and guys who own only one vs the other?

Your analysis of AP2 does not seem accurate to many, nevermind AP1.

Perhaps you live in an area where AP2 works better than average.

• Helpful
If you look at how (not) far EAP has come with AP2 in the last 10 months, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist like Elon to figure out we probably aren't going to see FSD magically appear in the remaining 5 months of this yea

Well, if there is a separate FSD code branch and Tesla teaches and maps the LA-NY route to that FSD branch, I could see them getting it done in good weather... as a demo.

I have also experienced 'lane hugging' in the software versions delivered in the last month or so.
It seems to only happen when driving slowly in rush hour traffic.

Early july (17.24.30):
View attachment 239292
View attachment 239293

Today (17.28.c528869):
View attachment 239295
View attachment 239296
Hmm - maybe I haven't seen it because I haven't been in rush hour slow with the AP2 - going into chicago in a few days - i'll get a dash cam and report back on what happens.

Well, if there is a separate FSD code branch and Tesla teaches and maps the LA-NY route to that FSD branch, I could see them getting it done in good weather... as a demo.

Well if they go down that route, that's kinda / sorta cheating, as Elon has said in calls / presentations since then it doesn't really have to be LA -> NY, he said the could say dynically change it along the way and decide to go from LA -> TX let's say. If they preprogram it for a route and conditions, it's going to be the same B.S. marketing ploy that the FSD on the website is about 265 disconnects.

Reactions: oktane
I wonder if Elon's eggs on his face will be raw or scrambled.

I think all the major car automation projects would have a chance going coast to coast on a preplanned route. The question is whether Elon will announce in advance. Is this a one shot effort, or is he going to keep running cars until one is successful?

Regardless of the conditions, this will be a demo. Self drive demos aren't particularly meaningful. Same with AI demos. Doing this runs takes significant resources away from the effort to improve AP.

A coast to coast run will be good publicity, but most of his customer base won't care. He should get credit for what he delivers to the cars of AP user, nothing more or less

Status
Not open for further replies.