Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Employee who sent $30,000 off email was FIRED!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No offense to @AmpedRealtor but his commentary didn't help at all, but in fact supports the argument (by those unfamiliar reading) that the email was talking about general discounts (or even worse: a fire sale):
None taken. My commentary after posting the promotional offer is just that - my own opinions and speculations, like anybody else's. I have no inside information. I posted the news because I was excited and wanted to spread the word. I thought the days of having my words stolen from under me to be used in a negative article were long gone. Sadly I was wrong.

Facts? The op shared a private correspondence with the world and started the problem. This sounds harsh but imho making public a private invitation was not a proper thing to do.
As far as I'm aware, this was not a private invitation or a one-on-one conversation. This email was sent to many of us here in Arizona. If it were a private invitation not to be shared, there was nothing to that effect in the email.

To be clear, I have received benefits from Tesla in the past that I have been specifically asked not to share with the public and I have happily complied when asked to do so. I was not asked to do so in this case and there was no language whatsoever indicating that this was a privileged communication in any way, shape, or form.

Is it really private when the same email is sent to numerous, unrelated people? This wasn't some internal company email sent to an alias.
If I haven't already stated this, I feel absolutely AWFUL for what happened to Aaron and that is why I started this thread. We have an amazing community of honest, ethical owners who I was hoping would rally around him and shine a light on what appears to be an injustice. And maybe, just maybe, there might be someone here who could help him out.

I'm not sure it's anything that nefarious. Take VIN 053557 for example. https://www.tesla.com/new/5YJXCBE41HF053557?redirect=no

That's a new inventory 50 mile car for $144,200 that teslainventory.com shows with a $19,050 discount. You can't build the exact same car today, but the same color and seating options come out to $151,000, only $6,800 more. Compared to a new build, the inventory car is missing the towing package and premium audio that are now standard. So, the $19,050 discount is really only $6,800 off a new order and it's missing $3,700 in options. The remaining $3,100 discount could easily be explained away as 2 months (2%) depreciation.

While I appreciate the example, not buying the overall story.

Q3/2016 for example had all kinds of inventory going out at discounts...

Reactions: Swift and xborg
None taken. My commentary after posting the promotional offer is just that - my own opinions and speculations, like anybody else's. I have no inside information. I posted the news because I was excited and wanted to spread the word. I thought the days of having my words stolen from under me to be used in a negative article were long gone. Sadly I was wrong.
There's been recent discussion that suggests this era is gone, but it seems it's been revived. Electrek seems to be the biggest driver as they get a lot of content off TMC. This is not to put the blame squarely on them (their article actually expanded on the details to explain the inventory program in the second half), but many news/blogs will just take the Electrek headline, and maybe look at the first couple paragraphs and the quoted source and write an article. The ones with an anti-Tesla agenda will add their own spin.

There's postives and negatives. Positive is our forum gets more exposure to the general media (which may not be a positive for some people), negative is everything gets amplified and what is said here may get twisted by others to fit other narratives.

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
While I appreciate the example, not buying the overall story.

Q3/2016 for example had all kinds of inventory going out at discounts...
It's hard to refute something that happened a year ago without an example.

Personally, I think it would make sense for Tesla to be fully transparent on how inventory models are priced, instead of allegedly firing and issuing a statement that they don't discount cars, while their own documentation calls it a discount.

It also doesn't help that they keep changing the base and option prices as well as the features included in those prices. It makes the inventory discounts look even more inflated, further increasing speculation that there's something shady going on.

Reactions: Swift and DBEV

As far as I'm aware, this was not a private invitation or a one-on-one conversation. This email was sent to many of us here in Arizona. If it were a private invitation not to be shared, there was nothing to that effect in the email.

To be clear, I have received benefits from Tesla in the past that I have been specifically asked not to share with the public and I have happily complied when asked to do so. I was not asked to do so in this case and there was no language whatsoever indicating that this was a privileged communication in any way, shape, or form.

If I haven't already stated this, I feel absolutely AWFUL for what happened to Aaron and that is why I started this thread. We have an amazing community of honest, ethical owners who I was hoping would rally around him and shine a light on what appears to be an injustice. And maybe, just maybe, there might be someone here who could help him out.

You didn't get Aaron fired. Only 1 person was responsible for firing him. Have a clear conscience.

Yes it is still private. A private dinner party is private whether 2 or 2,000 are invited and whether they all know each other or not.

But the private dinner party is private...

Tesla on the other hand does not do private deals, right...? ;)

Oh wait...

I have received benefits from Tesla in the past that I have been specifically asked not to share with the public and I have happily complied when asked to do so

#PricingAdjustments

It's not unreasonable to pick up a news lead on the forum.

Quoting without attribution out of context, which has been done by others, is something to frown on. Thus my footer (it has happened to me).
Unfortunately, none of your signature/footer including "All posts are copyrighted and cannot be quoted outside TMC without permission." is visible if you visit TMC while not logged in.

Try opening a new private or incognito window in your browser then opening this page in it...

Seems strange that they would fire someone over this considering they just reduced the price of all Performance versions by around $20,000, more when you consider that the P versions now include other options (spoiler, premium package, etc). So a $30,000 discount on inventory cars only makes sense to that they would be competitively priced with what you can order a new one for.

My only guess would be that they were fired for releasing something that wasn't supposed to be released. The act of doing so as the content of the e-mail itself should be no surprise. Unfortunate for the employee for sure. Probably a past history that led to it as well as I can only imagine, advertising a $30,000 discount surely had to pique the interest of many potential buyers, thus being good for business.

Unfortunately, none of your signature/footer including "All posts are copyrighted and cannot be quoted outside TMC without permission." is visible if you visit TMC while not logged in.

Try opening a new private or incognito window in your browser then opening this page in it...

Thanks I did not know that. Will ask admins about it.

Reactions: cwerdna and croman
what gets delivered to your password protected email account isn't private
There's a huge difference between attributes that I ascribe to things in my possession by virtue of them being in my possession and attributes that others may wish to ascribe to things of theirs that they throw at me. While I generally choose to treat communications from other individuals as private (or, at least, private to the original distribution list), someone sending me something unsolicited has no right to assume that I will treat their communications in any particular way, especially if they do not state any such assumptions explicitly.

If you received a communication from a Tesla employee that explicitly said "don't tell anyone else I'm telling you this", wouldn't you find that, at the very least, rather odd? In fact, wouldn't you suspect something not entirely above-board was going on?

This email was sent to many of us here in Arizona. If it were a private invitation not to be shared, there was nothing to that effect in the email.
And perhaps THAT is where Aaron made his mistake.

"Recently, an unauthorized and inaccurate email from a Tesla sales associate was circulated that directly contradicted Tesla’s sales principles." Tesla has responded to why Aaron was separated. End of story. If someone on TMC wants to help Aaron out, they could offer a job to someone who was separated from his previous employment for sending out "unauthorized and inaccurate" communications. That decision would be up to them.

Probably because Tesla/EM always wanted people to believe if you want a Tesla you need to pay MSRP and only those have miles on them get discounted. Even if they discount them they don't want the public to know (online). The Elektrek article probably prompted them to take action.
Outie:

This makes sense, but be aware that their business model has changed. When I bought my P90D 2 years ago, the only cars coming off the production line were ones that were being bought by customers who were paying for them. Now, Tesla is building cars where their are no customer orders so they have the expense, but no associated revenue. Check their 10-Q quarterly SEC filings for the number of cars produced versus number of cars sold. The dealership near me has a bunch of brand new, unsold inventory. So, as outie suggests, perhaps Tesla doesn't want people to know they are giving deep discounts in order to move inventory. If I was running the place, that's what I would do, and it's no different than any other car manufacturer -- or any product company -- I can think of would do.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I see this thread is still ticking and I continue to receive like/dislike notifications for my two MYOB posts. While we have no idea what all of the factors were that caused the firing, his "private sale" email was probably risky given the sensitivity Musk had expressed regarding the subject. I bought my S in Tempe a year ago and didn't get the email so obviously he was selective.

And perhaps THAT is where Aaron made his mistake.

"Recently, an unauthorized and inaccurate email from a Tesla sales associate was circulated that directly contradicted Tesla’s sales principles." Tesla has responded to why Aaron was separated. End of story. If someone on TMC wants to help Aaron out, they could offer a job to someone who was separated from his previous employment for sending out "unauthorized and inaccurate" communications. That decision would be up to them.

This is why this thread is 11 now pages long. His email was not inaccurate. Aaron was simply informing some of his previous customers about pricing incentives set not by him but at some level above him. What IS inaccurate is Tesla's actual pricing model vs their stated claim that there are "no discounts". This has been going on in spite of Elon's statement last fall and Aaron took the fall when it came to light again. It is wrong of Tesla to have him take the fall for it versus fixing the pricing at the top. This is the sole reason the OP started this thread.

The right thing to do would be to get rid of the discounts -or- make the discounted inventory available to everyone. This having to email an OA to see discounted inventory is very unfair. And of course the bigger right thing to do would be for Aaron to be able to keep his job because he was just doing what he was supposed to.