Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the Model 3 looks any more expensive than say an Audi or Lexus.

I think the average person who isn't into cars probably doesn't yet know that not every Tesla is $100k+. I'm really surprised there's so many Model 3 break ins. I've been on Mercedes and Audi forums for many years and don't think I've ever come across a post of someone's car broken into.

I know you're trying to make this out into a Tesla thing, but it really isn't specific to Teslas. A lot of them are probably breaking into the Teslas thinking they could pull that beautiful large "ipad" off. The problem is smash & grab is an epidemic, it's happening in broad daylight. You can have alarms, you can cameras, that won't stop them from smashing your windows. Even if they come out with a way to lock the backseats, they're still gonna smash your windows. It doesn't help when Teslas look expensive especially with that large touchscreen saying "take me".

Check this, they setup the whole thing as a test and got it all on camera. These guys don't give a f.

Inside the Wave of 'Smash-and-Grab' Car Robberies Plaguing San Francisco

If that were true we'd be hearing and seeing photos of the front windows being smashed. It's always the back by the trunk/cargo area. So that theory doesn't make any sense to me. Plus that thing is really bolted down good and there's nothing to connect it to. Flat TVs and computer monitors are much easier to steal and actually can be powered by something.

Sad to see all these smashed windows. I hope Tesla has a lot of inventory of these.
According to the guys that replaced my windows, Tesla does not have a good inventory on these. Most of the inventory is going to new cars. The replacement company gets about 100 per week shipped to them, and it's not enough. This is JUST in the Bay Area. 100 a week!

The replacement company says about 98% of their window replacements are now just Tesla 3's and S's. Maybe they are part of some mafia scam....

I recently bought my second model S in October. I drove the car directly to Evvia restaurant in Downtown Palo Alto and parked in the lot across. I had barely owned the car for less than 1 hour when the rear door glass was broken into and my briefcase and belongings totaling over $6,000 were stolen, along with my passport.

As I walked up to my car after dinner, a police car was parked behind my car issuing a report. They informed me that mine was the 3rd car broken into tonight. They said, every night between 2 and 4 Tesla’s are broken into in a similar manner.

I paid close to $140k for my car and I fail to understand why after being aware of the break-ins, they have failed to install glass break detectors in the car. I don’t feel safe leaving my belongings in the trunk of my car and it is having a major impact on the use of my car. It took several weeks to get a new passport, cancel credit cards, replacement iPads and computers to finally get my life back in order. Most of all, as a CEO of a company I can not afford such a time consuming disruption to my life.

Unless Tesla immediately fixes this huge security breach effecting every single car they make, I am asking all my friend and family (and this blog) to avoid buying a Tesla.

Reactions: DsterM3
I recently bought my second model S in October. I drove the car directly to Evvia restaurant in Downtown Palo Alto and parked in the lot across. I had barely owned the car for less than 1 hour when the rear door glass was broken into and my briefcase and belongings totaling over $6,000 were stolen, along with my passport.

As I walked up to my car after dinner, a police car was parked behind my car issuing a report. They informed me that mine was the 3rd car broken into tonight. They said, every night between 2 and 4 Tesla’s are broken into in a similar manner.

I paid close to $140k for my car and I fail to understand why after being aware of the break-ins, they have failed to install glass break detectors in the car. I don’t feel safe leaving my belongings in the trunk of my car and it is having a major impact on the use of my car. It took several weeks to get a new passport, cancel credit cards, replacement iPads and computers to finally get my life back in order. Most of all, as a CEO of a company I can not afford such a time consuming disruption to my life.

Unless Tesla immediately fixes this huge security breach effecting every single car they make, I am asking all my friend and family (and this blog) to avoid buying a Tesla.

People need to stop leaving valuables in their car, that is what will put an end to this. Alarms won't help, how many people today even look when a car alarm goes off? It is not the manufacturers fault, its all of our faults for leaving things inside the car. I have gone out eat, realized that my laptop and other valuables are in the car and proceed to bring my belongings with me. I never leave anything in the car but even I have had my vehicles broken into three different times. The thieves rifled through my center console and my glove compartment. They got nothing each time. Over time, changing our behaviors will change thieves behaviors.

It only takes a second to break a window and look for goodies. Even if an alarm went off, the thief can still rifle through and take things, then take off in their own car. I have seen this happen a lot on camera. It is a pain for all of us to go through and change things, not just CEOs. All of us lead busy lives. I work a full time job, attend school, have children, and volunteer in my community 20-30 hours a week.

As a side note, one should always carry their passport on them when visiting countries. If you do not need documentation to be in the country, one should either store the passport on their person or keep it locked in safe.

I'm in Oakland, moving to San Jose in the spring. I'm well aware of this problem in the Bay Area, but it is upsetting to read Tesla vehicles are actually targeted. I always thought it was completely random and/or chimes of opportunity. I am hyper sensitive to this issue and never leave anything of value in our vehicles and [knock wood] thus far we've been okay. However, this is from owning 3 Prius models in row (trunk is easily viewed through rear window - I never used the trunk cover thing) and a few SUVs - same easy view to trunk contents, or lack thereof.

Having not owned a sedan in the Bay Area, and now being on day 3 of Model 3 ownership, it makes me nervous that I'll be targeted by way of simply having this brand of vehicle, regardless of my trunk being empty.

Alarms and cameras do not deter break-ins. Watch the video I linked in the previous page: Inside the Wave of 'Smash-and-Grab' Car Robberies Plaguing San Francisco

They setup a test car with cams and GPS, and they got hit not once, but twice in the same day. People are breaking in in broad daylight, with cars driving by, on a street full of tourists. They know there are surveillance cams, but they don't care. Residents there say it happens every day, and yet it still happens.

If laws are not enforced, and the punishment are not more harsh, they are not going to stop. Less than 2% have been prosecuted in these incidents in San Francisco. The criminals know this. Until things change with law enforcement and politics, do yourselves a favor and stop leaving valuables in the car. Unfortunately even so, your windows are still likely to get broken in because it takes 1 second for them to break these windows to look around.

People thinking this is a Tesla issue are just emotionally affected by a personal experience. Truth is this has become a huge problem in California and it's getting worse in the recent years.

Alarms and cameras do not deter break-ins. Watch the video I linked in the previous page: Inside the Wave of 'Smash-and-Grab' Car Robberies Plaguing San Francisco

They setup a test car with cams and GPS, and they got hit not once, but twice in the same day. People are breaking in in broad daylight, with cars driving by, on a street full of tourists. They know there are surveillance cams, but they don't care. Residents there say it happens every day, and yet it still happens.

If laws are not enforced, and the punishment are not more harsh, they are not going to stop. Less than 2% have been prosecuted in these incidents in San Francisco. The criminals know this. Until things change with law enforcement and politics, do yourselves a favor and stop leaving valuables in the car. Unfortunately even so, your windows are still likely to get broken in because it takes 1 second for them to break these windows to look around.

People thinking this is a Tesla issue are just emotionally affected by a personal experience. Truth is this has become a huge problem in California and it's getting worse in the recent years.

As I mentioned, 3 cars near food plaza broken in. 2 of which were Teslas. Seems pretty targeted. I agree that laws needs to crack down harder as well.

Going to work with a Mech Eng for plate cover design for the 2 levers.

In addition, spent some time looking at the rear seat and locking mechanism. For those that want to try referencing the Model 3 Parts Catalog(link below). If you crawl into your trunk you can see the striker assembly (#14). When you put your seat in the upright position and latch (PN#11) locks onto the striker assembly there is a space behind the latch.I stuck something behind that small space and when I pull on the seat lever the seats will not come down. I'm thinking of putting a tight fitting wooden dowel with heavy string so I can put in and pull off as needed. Yes, they can still break in, but they will not be able to pull down the seats!!

Model 3 13 - Seats 1305 - 2nd Row Seat Assemblies And Hardware 2nd Row Seat Back Hardware

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47308

Thanks for posting OP.

But I would bet 99% of owners never lock their rear seat. I know I never did in cars that had it. I would bet most don't and crooks would know that. Many cars don't have motion sensing alarms or alarm when glass is broken.

So I'm a little curious why Tesla's would be more targeted.

And I'm all for an enhanced alarm option and adding an option to lock the rear seat. But I'm questioning the stats.

Maybe Tesla owners are high probably targets of owning expensive other resalable electronic gadgets in their car.

I don't think the Model 3 looks any more expensive than say an Audi or Lexus.

Going to work with a Mech Eng for plate cover design for the 2 levers.

In addition, spent some time looking at the rear seat and locking mechanism. For those that want to try referencing the Model 3 Parts Catalog(link below). If you crawl into your trunk you can see the striker assembly (#14). When you put your seat in the upright position and latch (PN#11) locks onto the striker assembly there is a space behind the latch.I stuck something behind that small space and when I pull on the seat lever the seats will not come down. I'm thinking of putting a tight fitting wooden dowel with heavy string so I can put in and pull off as needed. Yes, they can still break in, but they will not be able to pull down the seats!!

Model 3 13 - Seats 1305 - 2nd Row Seat Assemblies And Hardware 2nd Row Seat Back Hardware

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47308

Status
Not open for further replies.