Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How would that help stop them from breaking the windows?

Why? How is that going to help? Really, how will it change anything that's happening?

because they're already looking to check to see if the seat is down before breaking the window. once word gets out that a locking mechanism is out there (or if someone were able to figure out a way to disable the in-cabin release and move it to inside the trunk somehow), they will look for that too and if they see one, they'll move on to an easier target that doesn't have one installed.

these scumbags are looking for a quick and easy score, they're not looking to draw attention to themselves for no potential gain.

So your thinking is, if some one comes up with a more secure lock, the thieves are going to assume that everyone has one on their car and stop breaking glass? And once the in-cabin release is moved to the trunk, they won't just break the back/liftgate glass. And if they get mad at you for making it harder, they won't key your car and puncture your tires just to show you they are a bit annoyed at you. How much longer would it take to key your car or put holes in your tires while they are there? Makes sense to me. :)

How would that help stop them from breaking the windows?
The only way any of this helps if the word gets out that you can no longer access the trunk by breaking a window. As things stand now, they all seem to know that they can easily drop the seats once they brake the window.

because they're already looking to check to see if the seat is down before breaking the window. once word gets out that a locking mechanism is out there (or if someone were able to figure out a way to disable the in-cabin release and move it to inside the trunk somehow), they will look for that too and if they see one, they'll move on to an easier target that doesn't have one installed.

these scumbags are looking for a quick and easy score, they're not looking to draw attention to themselves for no potential gain.
Exactly. I so wish that the rear seat was only released from inside the trunk... or electrically like the glove box and frunk.. But now the scumbags know that it is easy pickings, so we're screwed until they start lopping off hands for stealing.

Reactions: crackers8199
So your thinking is, if some one comes up with a more secure lock, the thieves are going to assume that everyone has one on their car and stop breaking glass?

the first four words of my reply are "because they're already looking." can you figure out from that why a visible lock may stop them from breaking the glass?

And once the in-cabin release is moved to the trunk, they won't just break the back/liftgate glass. And if they get mad at you for making it harder, they won't key your car and puncture your tires just to show you they are a bit annoyed at you. How much longer would it take to key your car or put holes in your tires while they are there?

because, again, they're looking for a quick smash and grab.

they're not going to draw more attention to themselves by taking a crowbar to the trunk, because that will invite someone to report it while they're trying (opening them up to potential arrest) for potentially no benefit. the whole point here is that between that window and where the release is, it's quick and easy for them to break the window, drop the back seat, look in the trunk, and move on if there's nothing there. taking a crowbar to the trunk to try to open it that way is way more effort and drawing way more attention to themselves than they want to.

they're not going to slash your tires just because you made it harder for them to look in the trunk, they're going to go looking for another car that is an easier target. their primary goal is to steal something they can make money from, not to stand there and mess up your car for no reason. the insinuation that they're going to stand there and slash your tires because they're pissed off that you locked your trunk is just utterly laughable.

So your thinking is, if some one comes up with a more secure lock, the thieves are going to assume that everyone has one on their car and stop breaking glass? And once the in-cabin release is moved to the trunk, they won't just break the back/liftgate glass. And if they get mad at you for making it harder, they won't key your car and puncture your tires just to show you they are a bit annoyed at you. How much longer would it take to key your car or put holes in your tires while they are there? Makes sense to me. :)
You seem to be implying that the only option we have is to throw our hands up in dispair and give up? Or move out of the area? Or not drive the car?

Either we come up with something that helps... or we find that nothing helps. But giving up just isn't an option for me. Much of this could be fixed if we had a time machine, but I'm fresh out of them. So we can only look forward, and maybe help future Tesla owners. Not every thief is bent on vandalizing. Most just want a quick grab. As things stand now, there is a lot to gain with minimal effort. I think we can slow that down, and I appreciate the folks on this thread who are offering constructive ideas and investing in solutions to see if they work. Please don't be upset if some of us would like to discuss some fixes for this common problem.

I'm truly sorry all of you are having these problems. No one deserves what you folks are going through. Its great that most of you are optimistic that the lesser damage will be done, but I don't think that is realistic. And its my reality that I am describing.

I think that SF has a serious problem since they have demoted these incidents to misdemeanors and won't bother to investigate. It will only get worse. I surely am glad that we are not dealing with that problem.

I mentioned above that I think a circle the wagons defense (protect each other) might help.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVnut
Over the last 5 years smash and grab has gotten horrible up here in Alaska. All the dog parks around Anchorage, all the popular hiking/biking trailheads between Homer and Fairbanks are just littered with smashed auto glass. Like many other states our criminal justice system is overloaded so even if they are caught back out on the street same day.

The thing that makes it extra brash up here is we are a open carry and no permit concealed carry state. And yes we have had a few news reports of perps getting shot breaking into cars.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
What is Tesla supposed to do about it? If someone is going to break a window in a car they are going to break a window.
Off the top of my head:
Move rear seat release to the trunk.
Make the rear window a user replaceable part. I bet it's glued to body right now. It would be easier to replace if they just broke the door window.
Make a portal in the window so you don't have to break it to check the trunk contents.
Have a window delete option, replace that little window with steel.
Replace that little window with bullet proof laminate glass.
Clear trunk lid.
Raise price of that little window so that it becomes a felony to break it and then give free little window insurance to all Model 3 owners.

I'm sure Tesla is aware of the problem since they're based there.

Off the top of my head:
Move rear seat release to the trunk.
Make the rear window a user replaceable part. I bet it's glued to body right now. It would be easier to replace if they just broke the door window.
Make a portal in the window so you don't have to break it to check the trunk contents.
Have a window delete option, replace that little window with steel.
Replace that little window with bullet proof laminate glass.
Clear trunk lid.

I'm sure Tesla is aware of the problem since they're based there.
Clear trunk lid would be the way to go. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.