Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice if Tesla comes up with an ultrasonic/infrared sensor that detects movement inside the car and sets off the alarm when it's locked. Better yet, glass breakage sensors so there's a few seconds earlier warning. Even better still, moving the rear seat release handles to inside the trunk like on my BMW 3-series.
I vote for "all the above." Most of the time I've got a dog in the car (basically invisible). So I'd not be able to use a motion sensor. But I'd sure like to know when the glass is broken! And yeah... seat locks. :sigh: I've made my own that I'm quite happy with, but the thief isn't gonna know his or her mistake until after they've smashed the glass.

Hi all. This is my first post to this forum. I've been salivating over a M3 for awhile now, but I live in the SF Bay Area and know of a few M3 break ins, and this is the one issue that is keeping me unfortunately from buying my dream car right now. I think solution #1 is obvious. There are a lot of luxury-ish 4-door sedans with trunks in the Bay Area that are not being broken into, and a lot of them have something in common: you can't fold down the rear seats by first pushing a button or lever on the seat itself; rather, you have to push a button or lever from the trunk.

Eh, it's a trend among thieves. Trends come and go. Ours was broken into, the first car I've EVER had broken into in my decades of driving, even often leaving radar detectors and the like sitting out in the open.. but it's just a fact of life. I'll take a few precautions when leaving my car in a higher risk area (fold down seats, namely).. but beyond that, life goes on, can't live in fear.

Every car I've owned with folding rear seats had an easily-reachable latch right there on top. Many other cars with the same feature aren't being broken into- like I say, it's a fad. Hope it doesn't happen again, but it might.

Tesla can cut these incidents to the bone by redesigning the seat latch location and I'm baffled why they have not done this. My thought is that the release from inside the trunk is patented and Tesla does pretty much everything they can to avoid paying royalties on patented technologies.

It's been pretty well researched that thieves are doing a risk/benefit analysis when they make a decision to do this stuff. If the risk is low and the benefit is high (scoring a MacBook, tablet, phone or some cash once out of every 20 break-ins for example) then this behavior continues.

In the case of Tesla the risk is lower because they know they can scope out the trunk contents without setting off the alarm and can do it very quickly.

Also in the lower risk category is lax law enforcement and unwillingness to harshly punish those doing these crimes. We've seen people in this very thread try to defend the actions of scumbags because SF has a high cost of living.

Also in the lower risk category, SF and CA in general have very strict laws about defending yourself or your property, so thieves know that they aren't likely to meet any real resistance.

This only gets fixed IMO by two things, redesign of the seats and/or rear glass triangle along with thieves actually being in fear of getting caught.

Great, so now my alarm goes off every time I walk towards the car to drive to work in the AM?

You would be smart enough to disable Sentry mode from your phone app before you approached your car wearing a hoodie...
Or perhaps Tesla could have the car automatically disable Sentry mode when it detected that your phone was within range.

It really is quite notable how being covered in a hoodie seems to be standard practice for these types of thieves. It really seems like we could use that as a sign of something suspicious happening.

You would be smart enough to disable Sentry mode from your phone app before you approached your car wearing a hoodie...
Or perhaps Tesla could have the car automatically disable Sentry mode when it detected that your phone was within range.

It really is quite notable how being covered in a hoodie seems to be standard practice for these types of thieves. It really seems like we could use that as a sign of something suspicious happening.

Apparently my entire office is a sign of something suspicious happening, all the time.

Not everyone dresses like an accountant.

Status
Not open for further replies.