Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought @beenjaamin’s solution was pretty good if you frequently have things to store in the trunk of value and don’t need to have full cargo access to the car. As he said it still won’t necessarily stop someone from breaking a window, popping your trunk.

It can easily be removed with a bit of time and then needing to have a place to store it (wonder if it can lay flat inside the car) for the occasional times you might need the full cargo space. Don’t think anyone who frequently bikes, golfs, surfs or skis would want to be bothered all the time detatching it though. For the rest, I’d say it’s worth a look.

Let’s face it the rear seat latches are strictly for owner convenience sake. I certainly wouldn’t have thought we’d see this epidemic of break ins that we see. I do wish Tesla had the foresight to anticipate this criminal behavior and had designed for it though. Can’t see them not redesigning now that so many owners have been affected. I leave my seats down as oppose to always having to change their position. Figure I will kick myself if I park and forget and get my window smashed.

I have one highly rational friend who doesn't lock his car when he parks it empty..
Of the break-in videos of Model 3's that we must have by now... has anybody ever even tried the door handles to see if the car is unlocked. I can't imagine they'd even try since the default on probably 99+% of these cars is going to be locked. And how would that even work on a Model S? Leave the handles extended?

Reactions: Targe
I have one highly rational friend who doesn't lock his car when he parks it empty.

Using your above numbers, he reasons that locking the car is equivalent to leaving 250 $ in cash on the dashboard.

Bet your friend will think differently when some drug addict looking for some change or things to sell for his habit decides to sit in his car and shoot up maybe leaving his needle behind...or a homeless person sleeps in it for shelter from the rain or cold. Having it locked and with the door/trunk alarms On at least would prevent this activity.

By trying the door, if the alarm is set, they risk having attention called to them so it’s not the preferred method. If they see something in the cargo area they will instead break out the rear passenger window and climb in to grab or pass things out to an accomplice. Seen dashcam videos of this happening and why some people get their rear passenger windows broken out too. Also why on MSs and other hatchback cars they will chance trying to break and remove the hatchback window, instead of chancing a trunk alarm going off. Buys them more time to be thorough.

Last edited:
If I could find a way to disable the trunk display button or some type of lockable display cover. We would have a pretty secure trunk with the shield and something else. Who's good a 3D printing? I also thought about something like loktote fabric. Loctote Industrial Bag Co. | Anti-theft bags - Live More Worry Less Who's good at sewing? LOL

I would like to know from Tesla why the display powers on when the alarm is going off. Something is clearly wrong when this is happening. Why give the trunk, frunk and glove box controls to the thief. The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with safety and regulations or it's been overlooked.

Can you let me know which service in San Jose did you get the quote from? Thanks!
Well, I may have to retract that statement. The company is 3D Hubs. It appears from reading their FAQ is that they operate as an intermediary between you and fabrication shops in your local area. They take your design files, quote a price and then outsource the actual work. Completed items are shipped to you. I may still look around and see if I can find a shop and deal with them directly as going through a middleman usually increases the cost.

• Helpful
Reactions: Targe and YisSerL
My solution!

Aluminum panels replacing the glass (after mine was busted into)

Attachments

• IMG_4689 2.jpg
    IMG_4689 2.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 208
I just printed and installed this lock and it works GREAT.

Tesla Model 3 rear seat lock by jonco223
Where, or whom did you use to print the seat locks? And what was the cost, if I may ask?
My solution!

Aluminum panels replacing the glass (after mine was busted into)
How did you transfer the plastic pins and chrome trim from the original windows? I bought a set of rear windows the other day and it looked too difficult to remove those items and transfer them to something else (my thought was to use polycarbonate / Lexan). Or maybe combine those two things and use transparent aluminum?

Status
Not open for further replies.