Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does a seat lock prevent someone breaking the rear hatch window?
They break the little window to be able to lower the rear seat so they can see if something's in the trunk. If there is, they break the larger rear window, lean in and grab what's in the trunk. If they can't easily see if there's anything worthwhile in the trunk due to a lock, they may (or may not) move on to the next vehicle instead.

If they break the rear hatch window, how might that keep contents in the trunk safe?

There is no "hatch" window like there is on a hatchback. They break the small triangular window and then lower the rear seats so they can see into the trunk. If there are valuables in the trunk they then break the side window, crawl into the car, take the valuables and crawl out. The alarm never goes off since the doors are never forced open.

Another thing that hasn't been brought up in this thread is that if this trend continues it means higher insurance premiums for all of us. We are seeing people paying $1000 for just getting that window replaced, which is insane, and that means thousands of insurance claims which will eventually translate into taking an already expensive car to insure and making it even more expensive to insure.

If they break the rear hatch window, how might that keep contents in the trunk safe?

Although the concern applies to S & 3, only the S has the escalation path of breaking the rear hatch window. This is a Model 3 thread, although many of us with a Model S have also jumped in.

A seat lock won't slow the window breakage on the 3 until all of the Model 3 cars have the lock.

Not sure there is an easy answer for any hatchback or SUV. I like the idea of a lockbox for the sub-floor area. But the car gets damaged if anyone attempts to check the back either way.

Last edited:
Have folks been aware of this yet?

Drop-Lock
Reasonably priced and seems easy to use? Sounds great.

Though I wonder how long it is before thieves find wire of the right size to make a tool of their own (or just buy a Drop-Lock to obtain one) to remove it. At least I assume removal is with some kind of wire tool through the hole in the middle of the device, to give you the necessary leverage to slide it out. If there was an explanation of how you remove the locks, I missed it.

Reasonably priced and seems easy to use? Sounds great.

Though I wonder how long it is before thieves find wire of the right size to make a tool of their own (or just buy a Drop-Lock to obtain one) to remove it. At least I assume removal is with some kind of wire tool through the hole in the middle of the device, to give you the necessary leverage to slide it out. If there was an explanation of how you remove the locks, I missed it.
Exactly the question I just posted. I want to know how it is removed. Regardless, I already have my hidden locks in place, so this would at least keep them amused for a while... only to then be locked out a second way that can't be defeated from the cabin.

Meantime, I ordered a set. As much to show support for innovation as anything else.

My wife works in San Francisco and her small window got broken into last week. I called the local Tesla service center, and they said to contact one of three body shops. The shops told me it would take one to two days for tesla to transmit the order for the window once they received it, and 5 to 7 business days before the glass actually came in. I called the Tesla service center back asked if they had a window and they had one left, so I ran over and picked that up.

I took it to a premium body shop who did the work. They did a really nice job detailing the car, which needed it anyhow. But it's kind of an expensive way with the $250 deductible to get your car washed and vacuumed.

Can there be a software update that when the car is in park and a window is broken, that the battery instantly discharges into the closest person with their hands in the car?

• Funny
Reactions: SJC3
Imagine that Tesla is considering additional security options for this issue. Also could apply a security film to the inside of the small window to make access very difficult.

Drop lock seems like a perfect stop-gap until something more OEM becomes available. Clever product.

Status
Not open for further replies.