Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote we refrain from discussing those here too much as it could just spread the ideas to more people.
I agree... Though that's tempered a bit by just how easy the info is to obtain from more generic sources like YouTube. I'm not sure the "bad guys" are gonna hang out here to study what we're discussing. 'Cause, heck, even I am bouncing out of here to fill in my knowledge voids with Youtube vids...

Need to fire up the ol' rumor mill again! What will this "Sentry Mode" entail? And why the heck would it be tied to AP? Wouldn't it be great if we could view all the camera feeds from the app, with alerts? Part of me is a bit afraid that maybe it'll allow the cameras to record on the thumbdrive like the dash cam... offering us not much more than a record of what happened. But hey, I'm all for *anything* that may help here.
I think you already answered your own question but starting with AP2, cars have 360 degree camera coverage. Maybe they are making it part of the Enhanced Autopilot package to give the buyer more bang for their buck and encourage more to add that package.

Reactions: Leeclanual
Not judging here, but the perps that fall under that demographic based on the (videos and tribal knowledge), wouldn't frequent the forums...my perception anyways.

The point is like with most things is to "collectively" (aka crowd sourcing) address this problem':
- by either making it very hard for perps so that they find another easy target
- educating the masses
- 100% deterrence

I think you already answered your own question but starting with AP2, cars have 360 degree camera coverage. Maybe they are making it part of the Enhanced Autopilot package to give the buyer more bang for their buck and encourage more to add that package.
Coming purely from the Model 3 world... ALL cars have 360 degree camera coverage. There is no version of AP yet in the 3. So having purchased AP on Model 3 is irrelevant to the camera situation. One would hope that it would at least be available to all, even if lower-trim models needed to add cost.

What you've pointed out about AP2 makes me guess that the AP comment was really pointed at SX owners, and not 3 owners. But who knows?

Not judging here, but the perps that fall under that demographic based on the (videos and tribal knowledge), wouldn't frequent the forums...my perception anyways.

It is fairly well established that a lot of this is gang related.
Jails/prisons are probably good places to gain evolved knowledge of techniques that work.
I found a surprising amount of online gang related internet usage when looking into this problem.
Based on the young age of many of those caught, I figure there are "gang elders" putting them up to this activity.
"Here is your glass-break tool, we want you to go to location X and don't come back until you have a laptop, cash, and jewelry..."
Possibly intimidated to do it, or offered elevated status in the gang.

Last edited:

He already clarified that it will just need the hardware (already in all Model 3s) and not the EAP package.

clarif1.jpg

I am assuming that extra power draw will happen during "sentry mode", but a small price to pay when you need to leave your car parked in a dodgy tourist area or shopping mall.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
More detailed information from Electrek... Tesla is working on ‘Sentry Mode’ for 360° dashcam surveillance, says Elon Musk

Tesla is working to expand on its TeslaCam dashcam feature with a ‘Sentry Mode’ for 360° surveillance and it’s “coming soon”, according to Elon Musk. Once plugged in, the vehicle should recognize it and a dashcam icon appears in the status bar at the top of your touchscreen. At that point, the dashcam automatically begins recording and you can control the dashcam by pressing the icon. When the feature is in use, it records for an hour before overwriting the old videos.

The drive can archive the most recent ten minutes of video by tapping the dashcam icon while recording. Those videos will be saved with a timestamp and will not be overwritten. It is impressive for Tesla to release a software feature that could technically replace a device that is generally bought as an aftermarket product, but it also featured several limitations. The field of view is limited to Autopilot’s narrow forward facing camera. After the release of the feature, CEO Elon Musk said that future versions will use more Autopilot cameras and have a parking mode.

And honestly, I'd sure like these reports to stop equating the number of *reported* break-ins with the actual number of break-ins. There is simply NO way that all of these are reported. The number of actual incidents has to be higher than whatever number they have or reports. Of the people I've spoken with who've had their glass smashed, approximately 50% of reported it. I personally came *that* close to not bothering to report as well, but changed my mind simply because I wanted to be counted. And really, that was the only benefit to taking the time to make the report.

This should help with reporting... New Way to Report Car Break-Ins, Submit Evidence

Last week, the District Attorney’s office launched its own online system, where car break-in victims can file reports and submit evidence directly to the district attorney’s office. “That's how we're going to effectuate a resolution of this epidemic, is by tying the individuals who are responsible for the vast majority of these crimes to multiple crimes,” Szabo said.

While it might appear the district attorney’s office is attempting to supersede the police department’s current system of receiving reports of car break-ins, Szabo does not see it that way. “We are working with the police department very closely,” he said. “I think that, traditionally, this may not have been as much of a priority and I think that’s changing."

Reactions: SJC3 and 127.0.0.0

This should help with reporting... New Way to Report Car Break-Ins, Submit Evidence

Last week, the District Attorney’s office launched its own online system, where car break-in victims can file reports and submit evidence directly to the district attorney’s office. “That's how we're going to effectuate a resolution of this epidemic, is by tying the individuals who are responsible for the vast majority of these crimes to multiple crimes,” Szabo said.

While it might appear the district attorney’s office is attempting to supersede the police department’s current system of receiving reports of car break-ins, Szabo does not see it that way. “We are working with the police department very closely,” he said. “I think that, traditionally, this may not have been as much of a priority and I think that’s changing."

I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I have zero confidence in our government and legal system to address this.

I would suspect that some vigilante groups/peeps would come out of this and be more productive than our system.

Where do I sign up?

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Reid and FlatSix911
Yeah, they should have had a USB port in the glove box...
I was planning to hijack the USB behind the center console, throw in a hub (so the front ports would still be connected/charge phones), and bury a Raspberry Pi there that emulated USB drives for the purposes of automatically syncing saved dashcam footage and letting me upload music to it (cimryan/teslausb). But then I saw what the USB ports looked like on the EPC and parts on ebay... I was hoping they were just regular USB cables that I could just unplug and put hub and extension on, but seems they're some kind of proprietary connector going into the front USB ports module - might not even be USB electrically (could be USB over something else). I haven't had the time to take the car apart and try to figure out what's going on there.

But if it had been that simple, then hiding a USB drive for dashcam/etc would have been trivial ...

So, has anyone had nothing in their car but window was smashed anyway?
Yes. Nothing in the car or in the trunk, but my window was smashed anyway and the rear seat was folded down. I did have the parcel shelf up so the trunk area wasn't visible. When they saw there was nothing in the trunk, they moved on to another car.

A number of other TMC members in the Bay Area have reported having the same experience.

With a Model S, you can just remove the parcel shelf. Obviously Model 3 (and X) is a different story.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yes. Nothing in the car or in the trunk, but my window was smashed anyway and the rear seat was folded down. I did have the parcel shelf up so the trunk area wasn't visible. When they saw there was nothing in the trunk, they moved on to another car.

A number of other TMC members in the Bay Area have reported having the same experience.

With a Model S, you can just remove the parcel shelf. Obviously Model 3 (and X) is a different story.

My Model X doesn’t have a parcel shelf.

My experience shows that this is not accurate. My rear quarter glass was replaced by my service center (via mobile unit) four days after I informed them of the smashed glass. And they did it for $200 less than Precision and Primer. For the $200 less, I had to clean up the car and my garage floor, however.

EVnut - I think this may depend on how backlogged the Tesla service centers are, where one lives.
I actually wrote to them a couple of times, called up the local service center and Tesla Body Repair Shop, and they always got back with the same answer - it's outsourced to third party "authorized" shops.

May be the problem is not as acute up there in Davis?
Or, this recent spate of break-ins (esp with more M3's on the road, after Tesla's superb Herculean effort in cranking them out by year-end) just increased the service centers' backlog to a point, where they just refer you out. Maybe it will change when things improve.

As I said, YMMV :)

It doesn't take long for a smash and grab.

Sentry mode - thieves will just wear hoodies to cover their face.

Enhanced auto theft - Thieves will be gone before police show up.
No one pays any attention to alarms anyway. Would you confront a thief if it wasn't your car? Even if you call police they are long gone.
Only thing you can do is get a license plate and description and then wait for police to show up then give your statement.

Even if it were your car would you confront them? Is your life worth whatever they take or the damage they do to your car?

The only solution is to have nothing in the trunk and the seats folded down.
I told my wife to fold the seat down whenever she parks anywhere. The problem with her car, is the windows are tinted and you can't really see that the seats are folded down. So I purchased these window cling stickers and have her put them on whenever she parks anywhere. She can remove them anytime since it's a window cling.

This does not guarantee that the thieves will not break the window. Maybe the thieves will see the sticker and see that the seats are down and they just move onto the next car.

I also put a remote controlled light in the trunk. At night with tinted windows you can't see that the seats are folded down inside, with the light it illuminates the trunk showing that there is nothing in the truck.

IMG_0080.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.