Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the email to say I’ll get an invite from July 1st. Still waiting…

But with several past experiences with Octopus, always worth double checking they do/honour what they actually say. Often need a bit of a push to ‘guide them’… normally no quibble about it though.

Is anybody running tracker for gas and IO for electricity?

I recently asked them to change Gas only to tracker but according to my account my electricity has switched to tracker and I have the message “We're setting you up to join Intelligent Octopus. We need to book your smart meter exchange next” even though I’ve been using IO for months.

I am however able to view the ‘devices’ section in the app and manage a charge
Happened to me yesterday. I asked to switch to the gas tracker and leave my IO as is. Currently waiting for them to respond.

Is anyone getting the battery drain currently?
I’ve noticed the battery losing 6-10 miles overnight recently when I’m at home.
Last night the battery was at 61m, when I woke up it was 56m.
I had it plugged in but I had disabled charging in the octopus app.
I was in London this week and when I parked up I had 132m, 2 days later it was 132m when I got back in the car.
When the car is at home it regularly loses 6-8 miles overnight, from a battery range of 60-70m.
Might not plug it in tonight to see if that makes any difference.

Is this proper battery drain or simply the BMS recalibrating?

We ‘lost’ 3% yesterday evening (after IO had created its plan), but we got it back this morning (after IO had finished charging) so actually ended up with 3% more battery than we had asked IO for. Sometimes you don’t notice the morning change as it often gets rolled into first drive.

Last edited:
Exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I asked to switch gas only and both have been switched
I contacted octopus on twitter and they replied pretty much straight away and put my electricity back to IO. I actually think I might be slightly better off on tracker based on the average rates I have seen but the difference is minimal vs my average on IO so makes more sense to have certainty. There is something to be said for not having to worry about off peak times and scheduling appliances to run overnight though.

So a few questions that most likely have already been answered but want to sense-check myself;

- When you plug in, as there are no other time-based schedules on the car or charger, the car will start charging. I have found it puts in about 1-2 kWh before Octopus stops it. Will those units be charged at the normal rate?
- I have found if I plug the car in at 6AM and set in the Octopus app to charge by 11AM that I often get the cheap electricity rate for the morning. Does that mean if I plug in by 11AM that I will get slots before the normal 12PM-6AM cheap slot?

Is this proper battery drain or simply the BMS recalibrating?

We ‘lost’ 3% yesterday evening (after IO had created its plan), but we got it back this morning (after IO had finished charging) so actually ended up with 3% more battery than we had asked IO for. Sometimes you don’t notice the morning change as it often gets rolled into first drive.
It is proper draining, I lost about 20 miles Wednesday night to Friday morning, car was plugged in all that time but not charging.
I had to charge it when I woke up as I needed at least 60 miles and it dropped from 76 to 52

I contacted octopus on twitter and they replied pretty much straight away and put my electricity back to IO. I actually think I might be slightly better off on tracker based on the average rates I have seen but the difference is minimal vs my average on IO so makes more sense to have certainty. There is something to be said for not having to worry about off peak times and scheduling appliances to run overnight though.
I agree re scheduling etc but come the winter i would rather have the certainty as you suggest. I dont do twitter so will await my email .......

My current Go tariff ends in August.
Octopus sent me an email suggesting I move to IO but gave only tariff rates for the new Go tariff.
After some searching, IO off peak rates are 7.5p and Go, 9.5p other rates are the same for both.
Despite having a second full EV now, I don’t have a need to increase the O/P period during winter and don’t charge the cars more than a couple of times each week. As yet, IO doesn’t behave well with Powerwalls. It’s probably less hassle to stick with Go.
I use next to no grid power from April to September anyway.
My Zappi’s are old ones and not compatible with IO. As things stand, winter charging is just a simple 4hr overnight charge and on the new rates will cost £40 p.a. more. Perhaps the situation will change later in the year and make it worthwhile.

Octopus sent me an email suggesting I move to IO but gave only tariff rates for the new Go tariff.
After some searching, IO off peak rates are 7.5p and Go, 9.5p other rates are the same for both.
Despite having a second full EV now, I don’t have a need to increase the O/P period during winter and don’t charge the cars more than a couple of times each week. As yet, IO doesn’t behave well with Powerwalls. It’s probably less hassle to stick with Go.
My Zappi’s are old ones and not compatible with IO. As things stand, winter charging is just a simple 4hr overnight charge and on the new rates will cost £40 p.a. more. Perhaps the situation will change later in the year and make it worthwhile.

Unless it has changed at Octopus the Go tariff is not a fix that restricts you from switching (after a minimum of one month) so even if you choose the newer Go tariff for now you should be able to jump ship to one of their other tariffs if that starts to look advantageous ... I've looked at Octopus Agile recently on the Octopus Compare app and that has been making up to 30% saving based on actual figures from our own overall consumption (as against the older Go tariff with 7.5p cheap rate hours). I haven't made any switch yet though. I have to say that the myriad uncertainties relating to IO that I've read on this thread mean that I'm not greatly attracted to it!

Reactions: Dilly
Is there a way to calculate savings on IO vs Tracker for elecricity? I am currently on Tracker for both gas & electric however unless I had solar panels and battery storage; surely tracker would be the more beneficial in terms of lower-cost than IO?

If we say average household kWh usage of 8 per day and 25miles of EV per day.. Tracker comes out nearly 50p per day cheaper (£2.98 vs £3.42)

Is there a way to calculate savings on IO vs Tracker for elecricity? I am currently on Tracker for both gas & electric however unless I had solar panels and battery storage; surely tracker would be the more beneficial in terms of lower-cost than IO?

If we say average household kWh usage of 8 per day and 25miles of EV per day.. Tracker comes out nearly 50p per day cheaper (£2.98 vs £3.42)
Not sure how you're doing the maths on this, but I believe you're leaving out the charge cost?
Assuming a 260kWh/mi efficiency, 25 miles of EV = 6.5kWh/day. In addition to your household usage of 8, that's 14.5kWh of usage.
At today's tracker price of 18.5p, that's £2.68.

With IO, assuming the blended daily rate at 23p/kWh for household consumption (18h of day rate at 31p + 6h of off-peak at 7.5p), and those 6.5 kWh of EV charge at off-peak, that's £2.34p

So IO would be cheaper for your mileage until Tracker falls at 16p/kWh or under.

(Of course I'm assuming constant usage during the day for IO, more savings if your can time shift, but less if you run your big appliances at max day rate...)

Another member has made this

Compares Octopus IO, with Go, Tracker, and Ovo's offerings. You input your average daily peak hours and average non peak hours and how often you want to charge etc. From what I can see about Tracker, i'm on the verge of it being better than IO, I feel as though IO is only good for households that don't use much daily electricity, or do a lot miles so charge multiple times a week.

Why not just go on IO and switch off smart charge most of the time? Cheaper off-peak and 6 hours rather then 4.

I think people are missing a trick with not switching to IO. You get a lot of other cheap slots if you need it, all of which are good for topping up the battery on cloudy days or to charge outside the normal hours etc....

A Powerwall works fine with IO, takes about 10 seconds on the app to configure the extra off peak slot if you need to.

Reactions: Yuff
Our average per kWh cost on IO pre the recent peak price reduction is 14-15p. With the new 30p peak rate I’m expecting the average to fall to around 12p. Approx 20-25% of our use is peak - 20k miles per year in the M3 and we load shift as much as we can into the off peak (immersion heater, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer all operated overnight). IO is remarkably good value for us and has largely protected us from the crazy prices during the last 18 months.

I think people are missing a trick with not switching to IO. You get a lot of other cheap slots if you need it, all of which are good for topping up the battery on cloudy days or to charge outside the normal hours etc....

A Powerwall works fine with IO, takes about 10 seconds on the app to configure the extra off peak slot if you need to.
Could not agree more. If you have solar and batteries then IO average should be 7.5ish. That’s tough for any tariff to beat and I have ASHP‘s as well.
3500 kWh in winter at 7.5 is very handy. Tend to use the free charger down the road, for longer runs, for all 3 EV’s.

Reactions: petit_bateau