Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Does your inverter app have the facility for block discharge settings? Ours allows three sessions, one is set 23.30-05.30 and IO is set to a finish time of 05.30 so when additional IO slots are scheduled they will always be earlier than 23.30. If so, I set another block discharge period to cover it. Car charging never drains the house batteries.
This is an option, of course. I can do that with my Powerwalls too
It’s just that it requires a lot of human intervention and always keeping and eye to see if the slots haven’t changed. Not a very practical setup at all… :/

Reactions: Zilla91
This is an option, of course. I can do that with my Powerwalls too
It’s just that it requires a lot of human intervention and always keeping and eye to see if the slots haven’t changed. Not a very practical setup at all… :/
Yes but in reality almost all charging slots are within the permanently set six hour block discharge period. I only manually intervene maybe one or two times a month, often not at all.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Got the dreaded email letting me know my Go deal is coming to an end soon...

Seems like a no brainer going for IO for the longer off peak window but it opens up a huge can of worms;
  • I have a house battery so any extra slots will drain that
  • Doesn't look like you can set up two cars on IO which isn't helpful because I have two cars
  • I share one charger between said two cars so I'm not sure how the smart charging would work as one car will always be unplugged.
I know I can just sack off the smart charging but it does feel like I'm cheating. Has anyone else have the same set up and how do you get it all to work?

I wish they could have kept the costs between Go and IO the same...
I have exactly that position.

Battery
On the battery position, my approach is this - I have set the battery 'charging period' on the inverter as 23.30 - 05.30. My battery doesn't need that long (7.2 kWh) but being in charging mode means it won't discharge during that period either. Initially I had a shorter period and found the battery would 'empty' into the car. This doesn't stop the battery being 'at risk' where car charging periods later than 05.30 apply which also caught me out a couple of times, but there is a solution to that too; I set the departure time on the Octopus app to 05.30 so it doesn't charge the car past that point.

Two Cars
We have a Tesla and a VW ID.3. We have the Tesla set up as the IO car, the VW isn't on it. The VW has a setting of it's own on the car to limit charging 'at home' to specific periods so we have that set to prevent charging during the expensive period. In practice, it doesn't seem to work (yet) so I just make a point of plugging her car in at 11.30 pm, knowing that it will have finished charging before 05.30 anyway. I'll have another go at the 'geofencing' at some point.

Oh dear. I've changed charger (my tesla wall charger has broken), so seeing no way to change my options, disconnected my car.

Cue a few minutes of panic scrolling as I couldn't see any way to add it back, and then found it. Added the car, the charger, it spots I'm on IO, and gives me a button to log on. Up comes the Tesla login, which I go through, 2FA and all. Tesla says logged in and hands back to the Octopus app, the button spins for a few seconds and then says "unable to register device", and that's the end of my connection.

I wonder if anybody else noticed a bug with IO Schedules.

I got this push notification, but when I clicked on it, only the first slot appeared in the app, the others are non-existent in the app.
It can be slightly misleading if I only read the push and assumed I would have cheap charging between 6:30 - 7:30 only to discover I've been charged full price...

1674670088455.png

Also for some reason, these push notifications on iOS disappear after a few minutes and you can't see them on the Notification Centre or Lock Screen even if you havent dismissed them.. that's annoying.

What is the best way to ensure my 07:15 preconditioning uses the battery and not the grid when on IO?

I like a warm car in the morning for my commute at 07:15 so I have the preconditioning scheduled for this time. I also have all schedules on my Andersen A2 disabled so IO can charge as/when needed. The consequence of this is that the preconditioning uses peak rate power.

I recognise that I could create schedules to ensure IO only charges during the 6 off peak hours and preconditioning uses the battery, but I then run the risk of missing out on any additional off peak slots that my come my way. Is this my only real practical option though?

I wonder if anybody else noticed a bug with IO Schedules.

I got this push notification, but when I clicked on it, only the first slot appeared in the app, the others are non-existent in the app.
It can be slightly misleading if I only read the push and assumed I would have cheap charging between 6:30 - 7:30 only to discover I've been charged full price...

View attachment 899714

Also for some reason, these push notifications on iOS disappear after a few minutes and you can't see them on the Notification Centre or Lock Screen even if you havent dismissed them.. that's annoying.

Don't rely on the push notification! The schedule is dynamic. It can and does change frequently in the run up.

• Helpful
Reactions: WllXM
I like a warm car in the morning for my commute at 07:15 so I have the preconditioning scheduled for this time.

I turn on climate on manually ten minutes before I set off. That's plenty of time to warm up the cabin.

The preconditioning function will normally start about 45 minutes before the target time because it's aiming to warm the battery too.

What is the best way to ensure my 07:15 preconditioning uses the battery and not the grid when on IO?

I like a warm car in the morning for my commute at 07:15 so I have the preconditioning scheduled for this time. I also have all schedules on my Andersen A2 disabled so IO can charge as/when needed. The consequence of this is that the preconditioning uses peak rate power.

I recognise that I could create schedules to ensure IO only charges during the 6 off peak hours and preconditioning uses the battery, but I then run the risk of missing out on any additional off peak slots that my come my way. Is this my only real practical option though?
I think I would do the opposite and simply prevent the Andersen from charging the car between 07:00-07:15 for instance.

If the car is plugged in, preconditioning / climate always uses ‘shore power’ hence the grid and there is no way around it unless Tesla offers some customisation in a future OTA update (don’t hold your breath).
So shutting off the Andersen around 7:15 or at the breaker would be the only option afaik

Possible options
1. Unplug car after charging finishes (if you are awake & available to do so)
2. Use Tesla app to unlock charge port after charging finishes (but can it automatically reconnect if not physically removied?)
3. Set 'Ready By' time to 05.30 which means that any additional off peak slots will then be given prior to 23.30 (which is what I do)

On cold mornings I manually warm the car interior via the app for 10 minutes prior to departure, I've never yet preconditioned the batteries.

Thanks all for the replies. My commute is only around 45 miles there and back so I don't precondition for efficiency, I just like the warm car in the morning (and associated defrost this past week) and I can be a bit forgetful so the schedule helps with that!.

.... If I manually turn on Climate in the morning without disabling the Andersen, will that also take 'Shore Power' or is that Preconditioning only?

Thanks all for the replies. My commute is only around 45 miles there and back so I don't precondition for efficiency, I just like the warm car in the morning (and associated defrost this past week) and I can be a bit forgetful so the schedule helps with that!.

.... If I manually turn on Climate in the morning without disabling the Andersen, will that also take 'Shore Power' or is that Preconditioning only?
It will also use shore power so the only way to ensure it doesn’t use the grid is to either unplug or ensure the charger will not deliver power to the car.

In my experience turning the climate for 5 min prior is enough to warm up the cabin and possibly defrost. I use a Tessie automation for that rather than Tesla preconditioning to be absolutely sure of the start time.

Yes, if plugged in and powered it will use shore power instead of battery power.

PS you could use TeslaFi (or similar) to start the defrost automatically, using Schedules and Reminders, at a preset time.

Got my Intelligent switched on today.

I noticed that I get much longer slots with granny Charger Vs wall Charger;

Initially I setup the granny charger as a device, and told it that I wanted 80% charge. It gave me 7.5 hours (11:00-6:30am), I assume because the granny charger takes a lot longer?

I then deleted the granny charger and setup the Tesla wall connector. Doing this meant I lost 2.5 hours of slots (went to 11:30-5:30).

Am I to assume that it’ll give granny charging a longer off peak rate due to the length of time it takes to get to the charge limit? Or was it just a random fluke?!

Logically, makes sense that they might want to get the cars to the same SOC, even if using a slower charger?

TLDR- granny charger gave longer off peak hours.l compared to faster Wall Connector.

Attachments

• 344B2D1D-05E4-4F86-A20E-ACF440443298.jpeg
    344B2D1D-05E4-4F86-A20E-ACF440443298.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Disagree
Reactions: SteveJol
IO doing its thing last night & image from the PV inverter app showing where part of the schedule changed.

That little top-up at 5am is past the original schedule & one of the reasons I set 'Ready By' time to 05.30 so that longer instances like this don't occur at peak rate when my house batteries have passed their 'block discharge' setting (also ends 05.30). In winter the house batteries top-up & refill 23.30-05.30 every night

As a result, any additional IO slots are always pre 23.30 & it's easy to temporarily add another block discharge period if the IO schedule offers any.

IO Schedule.PNG
IO Charges.png

I received an email from Octopus today advising my tariff is coming to an end in March and I’ll be moved onto their flexible tariff. Anyone else received anything similar?

I’ve reached out to them to ask why I can’t stay on the Intelligent tariff so awaiting a reply from them.

So I have had the dreaded email and Ocopus's sample calculations are as dodgy as ever:

So what does it all cost?
Your current Octopus Go Faster prices
Peak unit rate: 13.72p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 4.50p / kWh
Standing charge: 25.00p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,027.57

We've based your estimate on your historical half-hourly usage pattern - that's 5,034 kWh during Octopus Go Faster peak times and 5,456 kWh during Octopus Go Faster off-peak times.
Your new Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 41.64p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 12.00p / kWh
Standing charge: 47.59p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £4,381.34
Flexible Octopus prices
Unit rate: 33.73p / kWh
Standing charge: 47.50p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £3,902.37

Good to know: Flexible Octopus isn't a smart tariff, so it's quoted slightly differently to Octopus Go. This quote is based on the industry estimate for your home (11,056 kWh).

They are telling me that using 50% peak and 50% off peak is going to cost me more on Go than being on Flexible (and using a higher number for the usage !
Why? because my current Go Faster Tariff cheap rate is 20:30 to 23:30 so in the go discount period of 00:30 to 04:30 I use almost nothing.
instead of mapping my current peak usage to Go peak and my current off peak to Go Off peak they appear to have used my current half hourly readings for 00:30 to 04:30 as off peak and dumped the rest in peak putting about 95% of my usage in Peak. The real figure for Go if I shifted my charging etc to 00:30 would be about £2750
genius 🤣

Total novice to all this, so in advance excuse my ignorance.

Picked up my 1 year Tesla 3 LR on Tuesday, already on IO using my Ohme pro.
Took an age but eventually managed to run a test charge and IO app registered the car and mapped a schedule yesterday evening.
But I noticed last night, while I was busy, it started charging(3KW), within an hour(7pm) of me getting IO mapped schedule. Switched off the Tesla app charging. So to avoid confusion I removed any old schedules from the Ohme app and deleted it.
Eventually, it stayed off, happened twice and charged as per IO schedule.

Just tried the same tonight, IO mapped schedule in place(2am on), three times I've gone back to my Tesla app, and its charging again(6:30pm), even though I've stopped it three times already in the last hour.

Any ideas?