Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't get these continual posts about mis-timings, this is a very simple process!
  • Use IO as it is designed but with one exception to avoid the initial plug-in charge - stop that manually via the Tesla app.
  • No need to schedule the Tesla app to only start charging at 23.30 (which some people do)
On this basis it works perfectly EVERY time for me and has done since January 2022.

I really don't get these continual posts about mis-timings, this is a very simple process!
  • Use IO as it is designed but with one exception to avoid the initial plug-in charge - stop that manually via the Tesla app.
  • No need to schedule the Tesla app to only start charging at 23.30 (which some people do)
On this basis it works perfectly EVERY time for me and has done since January 2022.
That’s good clear info thanks. Would be better if Octopus can sort out the stopping of the charge though in the future.

I’m new to IO and want to give a bit of feedback to other newbies.

My schedule was set up to be ready by 10:00 today in the app and the planned charge I was given was due to finish at 08:30.

At 08:30 it stopped charging (as per the plan) but the car wasn’t fully charged.

The Octopus app therefore added another charging slot between 09:00 and 09:30 itself.

And sure enough, come 09:00 it started charging again for the final top up.

Thanks

I’m new to IO and want to give a bit of feedback to other newbies.

My schedule was set up to be ready by 10:00 today in the app and the planned charge I was given was due to finish at 08:30.

At 08:30 it stopped charging (as per the plan) but the car wasn’t fully charged.

The Octopus app therefore added another charging slot between 09:00 and 09:30 itself.

And sure enough, come 09:00 it started charging again for the final top up.

Thanks

That’s good - suspect the extra slot you got to top-up was due to the lost hour as the clocks went forward?

I’m on Go and the time change really messed with my Wallbox schedule. I lost an hours cheap rate charging and now my schedule in the Wallbox app is set to start at 2am. I’ve tried to change it but doesn’t seem to be having it. Might have to try turning it off and on again :)

Hello all,

Been using IO for 3 weeks and all has been fine (pod point charger). I’ve plugged in approx an hour ago, and stopped the charge via the Tesla app. IO hasn’t set a smart schedule. This is the first time it has happened.

Any ideas?

Thanks all

EDIT - schedule now set. Took a lot longer than usual for some reason!!!

Last edited:
Had a ‘near miss’ tonight. Decided to check if the car was charging before I went to sleep, noticed that the car would not wake up from the app (official or Tessie) after about 5 minutes of trying. Car had been parked and connected 4 hours prior and the app showed 4 hours since last connection.

Checked Hypervolt app to see no charging. Went outside and approached the car as normal with phone and the car unlocked and immediately sprung to life on the app. I then manually started the charge as I was in my window.

Obviously this was not IO’s fault but would be nice if they could alert you to failed attempts at starting the charge as obviously they wouldn’t have been able to communicate either.

Does anyone know why my M3 may have not been waking up/communicable with until I unlocked it? (Owned it 5 weeks and this is first time this has happened)

Glad that works for you, but sometimes app won’t talk and you have to manually go to car to stop charge. Obviously it’s not ‘car not awake problem’ as car just plugged in and car is charging so car is fully awake.

Unfortunately as with many things Tesla, car behaviour is inconsistent. Until auto stop on initial plugin works quickly, or charge reliably starts when scheduled, people will use workarounds that work for them. It’s getting tiresome to awake mid schedule to find car not charging. I lost several hours charging tonight from schedule, although I did find that car had for some reason done a random hours charge late afternoon. Not sure if/how far short charge will be at it’s scheduled stop time.

Had a ‘near miss’ tonight. Decided to check if the car was charging before I went to sleep, noticed that the car would not wake up from the app (official or Tessie) after about 5 minutes of trying. Car had been parked and connected 4 hours prior and the app showed 4 hours since last connection.

Checked Hypervolt app to see no charging. Went outside and approached the car as normal with phone and the car unlocked and immediately sprung to life on the app. I then manually started the charge as I was in my window.

Obviously this was not IO’s fault but would be nice if they could alert you to failed attempts at starting the charge as obviously they wouldn’t have been able to communicate either.

Does anyone know why my M3 may have not been waking up/communicable with until I unlocked it? (Owned it 5 weeks and this is first time this has happened)
I’ve had my car 2 years. Recently the OEM app has been flaky accessing (waking possibly) the car. I don’t use IO but if I did it would be a massive pain. I don’t think it’s you… I think it’s Tesla.

Reactions: xreyuk and MrBadger

There’s been something weird going on with the Tesla cellular service, recently. Don’t know if it’s the car or the servers, but I’ve been struggling to wake up the car for the past 2-3 days. Once the car is awake and on wifi, it works as it should, but the wake up SMS is definitely most flakey, at the moment. My car failed to charge last night as it appears it never woke up for the charge slots. Fortunately, it’s not an issue, in this instance, but it’s definitely a drawback of using the Tesla to control the charge. Bring on the native Zappi integration!

• Informative
Reactions: xreyuk and MrBadger
Caught in the act - scheduled time to stop. I noticed it failing to start during the night and we did actually have our charge start (but not at the scheduled time) and the charge had actually stopped at the requested charge amount so no issue. Thankfully I still had the 12:30 Tesla charge schedule in place to start charging which will upset the Octopus police on here. But these experiences are showing that a Plan B is prudent.

74BCB621-11F0-45BA-9878-FCE60B103747.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like the remote wake up issue has affected a lot of people. Seeing lots of posts on FB where cars didn’t charge, last night. Including one fella who is on 2%. 😮
Happened to me this morning, had to get into the car to start the charging. It connected straight away.
IO had already given me a schedule.
This also happened to me whilst I was abroad a couple of weeks ago and any schedules IO set appeared on my bill whether the car charged or did not charge.

Something was definitely up with the servers last night as when I woke up in middle of the night I noticed my Home Screen Tesla widget was just a warning triangle instead of showing battery %.

Also as mentioned elsewhere my map tiles not loading has been like that for a month or so now.

Reactions: rowedav
In a nutshell the car is being sent a schedule, you're overriding that schedule having it start at 23:30 by means of a trigger from the car, then the API is not being polled and updated again before the charge is finished.

This is the issue with setting a override charge at 23:30. Yes you get it off-peak so in that sense it's fine, but the tariff is designed to use HH slots of low carbon intensity.

When people complain Intelligent isn't Intelligent, it's their workarounds for the lack of API polling which are making it 'dumb'. If you get the schedule and let the schedule do its thing rather than overriding locally in the car, it will charge to the schedule.
I’d love to do this but without the 2330 safety net to prevent peak charging what happens in reality is that the wife sets preconditioning at ~9pm for 6am the next morning, the vehicle starts charging and IO doesn’t tell it to stop resulting in more expensive prices per kWh.

Happens every time, and I’ve tested it weekly. Reported to Octopus.

Wife doesn’t leave at a set time so is always fiddling with the preconditioning time and is incapable of pressing “Stop Charging”.

So until this little wrinkle gets ironed out the Tesla starts charging at 2330 each night regardless of IO’s smart charging, and if IO adds more slots because the vehicle needs more than about 180 miles topped up then that’s peachy.

Reactions: browellm
Take my wife. Please.

Reactions: ringi
Using Home Assistant, I have automated the stopping of the charge when plugging in the car. This is a little nerdy, but it’s far too easy to plug in the car and for it to charge on peak rate for a not inconsiderable amount of time. There is also the issue of preconditioning as mentioned above, where if the charge map has already been set and IO isn’t expecting to control the charge, it won’t necessarily stop the car charging…

So I’ve added the Tesla Custom integration into HA, as well as the Octopus Intelligent integration. Using these two, I’ve created the following automation:

IF Tesla starts charging
AND car location is home
AND IO Smart Charge is On
AND IO Planned Dispatch Slot is Off
THEN turn charge Off

This worked when I plugged in the car last night and the car stopped charging within seconds. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to test the charging overnight as the car suffered the lack of wake up issue! But it _should_ work…

Reactions: browellm
Glad that works for you, but sometimes app won’t talk and you have to manually go to car to stop charge. Obviously it’s not ‘car not awake problem’ as car just plugged in and car is charging so car is fully awake.

Unfortunately as with many things Tesla, car behaviour is inconsistent. Until auto stop on initial plugin works quickly, or charge reliably starts when scheduled, people will use workarounds that work for them. It’s getting tiresome to awake mid schedule to find car not charging. I lost several hours charging tonight from schedule, although I did find that car had for some reason done a random hours charge late afternoon. Not sure if/how far short charge will be at it’s scheduled stop time.
Like many people I had problems last night just 2 miles of charge added (fortunately not a problem for me). I noticed at around 02:30 that the Tesla app just hung and wouldn't do anything, even after re-starting the app it was away with the fairies. I didn't go outside.

Did you have any problems last night? It seems that a lot of people (me included) had problems judging by the posts here this morning. So its strange that some experience these problems and some don't. I wonder if the issues might be location specific?

Reactions: DaveNN