Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Rang octopus RE fixed contract. Ours is fixed until end of august so won’t get the new rates from July 1st. We can however switch once new prices go live on 1st July, however we will have to go to a standard variable contract for a day and then start intelligent the day after.

Not sure if anyone can help with this, as I may be understanding it wrong.

After reading the price cap information on Ofgem, it seems the highest standard charge octopus should be charging is 53p, however up here they’re charging 60p

Is there any reason IO is exempt from the standing charge cap, or have I miss read and there’s not a standing charge cap?

Not sure if anyone can help with this, as I may be understanding it wrong.

After reading the price cap information on Ofgem, it seems the highest standard charge octopus should be charging is 53p, however up here they’re charging 60p

Is there any reason IO is exempt from the standing charge cap, or have I miss read and there’s not a standing charge cap?

I think you'll find because its a time of day tariff and you get the much cheaper rate at night etc, the cap doesn't apply. Or at least, its done as an average over your total rate during the day.

Reactions: xreyuk
Just checking a really basic requirement here... Does the car have to be plugged in and in need of a charge to get the 11:30 -5:30am cheap slot? Or do you get that any way and extra if needed/avaliable?

Finally getting around to moving to octopus, but being tempted by the double dip Cosy, but I don't think it works with a cheap rate of 17p/unit?

Just checking a really basic requirement here... Does the car have to be plugged in and in need of a charge to get the 11:30 -5:30am cheap slot? Or do you get that any way and extra if needed/avaliable?

Finally getting around to moving to octopus, but being tempted by the double dip Cosy, but I don't think it works with a cheap rate of 17p/unit?
No you don’t need to plug in, everything will be at the off-peak rate between 23.30-05.30 regardless.

Still don’t think I’ve ever had IO offer me a non standard charge time period. More complicated now though as I have a PW and it doesn’t play brilliantly nicely ie if IP wants to charge outside of regular times it will dump the PW which I don’t want.
Yeah, I think the extra slots are a bit of a blessing and a curse.

Great if you just have an EV but highly complex to work around if you have solar and batteries etc.

A fixed 6hr (or better 7hr 😜) slot would be far simpler to manage for solar + battery people, although less flexible when car is needed at 100%

I think "highly complex" is a stretch.

Tesla don't want to give access to the battery API for some reason, so if you're a PW owner then it's not the easiest tariff to work with.

The other alternative is to have your EVSE installed on its own CU so your battery doesn't see the load.

I think "highly complex" is a stretch.

Tesla don't want to give access to the battery API for some reason, so if you're a PW owner then it's not the easiest tariff to work with.

The other alternative is to have your EVSE installed on its own CU so your battery doesn't see the load.
Yep, but some of us want the system to see the car charger load. Because then the inverters and batteries can respond and you can charge the car from the excess solar currently being generated or stored in the solar batteries in summer when they are full. (at any convenient time in the sunshine/ day/ evening) rather than exporting it for peanuts at midday and buying it back later.
- Otherwise you can’t. Also it’s arguably greener.

With respect; What I mean by highly complex is:

I don’t think my gran or the average Joe would be able to easily set up home assistant on a pc or raspberry pi, manage the GiveTCP, add all the MAC addresses of the inverters/ batteries/ devices, API’s, add the cards, set up the rules and then manage updating all the integrations to cope with the updates, changing dispatch slots (the extra ones); without discharging your batteries that don’t know about the extra slots and will happily discharge it all into the car outside the standard 6 hour window when additional slots are given.
Which is not what you want; All stored energy ‘wasted’ then it’s peak import time !

Compared to just plugging the car in when you get home (to charge during some random time between 11:30 and 05:30) and unplugging it when you go out. I’d argue, that yes, Option 1 is if not highly complex, at the very least significantly much harder to set up and more hassle.

Do you have Solar and battery storage? If so, how do you manage the extra slot allocations? is option 1 what you’re doing? I mean it works well, just a ‘tad’ of a faff to set up (/ manage?)
How are you finding its working? All good once set up or any hiccups?

• Love
Reactions: petit_bateau
Yeah I use a local MQTT broker and HA to control my inverter and it stops the battery from discharging in the additional off-peak slots. The third option is using CT clamps to do current sensing.

I'm not sure the Venn diagram of tech-averse grans with solar/battery/EV/IO worried about battery discharging into their car is particularly large ;)

New IO rates are live,
31.5p / kWh day rate
still 7.5p / kWh off peak

standing charge slightly more expensive at 36.54p / day

If you are still on a fixed IO rate, that means it was probably fixed at 35p/kWh or 39p/kWh peak, you'd better exit it now and switch over to variable IO

Didn’t even know what an MQTT broker is until very recently. Never used one before.
Didn’t know what home assistant was until a few months ago when started investigating Solar and GivEnergy.

It’s good that home assistant is working and the MQTT broker is working for you. And I understand it’s very powerful stuff but it’d be 100% better if they had a simple phone app or desktop app for less techie people that just worked without having to partition your hard disk, install new programming languages, install ‘containers’, download stuff from random sites, use MQTT brokers, etc. That is probably not in the majority of peoples computer skill sets and will be a bit daunting to do the first time at any age.

Older people have EV’s and panels, batteries as well (probably because they are the only ones with spare cash to buy them right now 😂).

It’s kind of like most automated computer stuff. Once it’s set up and working and you have a solid internet connection it’s fine. But to set it up right initially and then fix it if there is a problem or update that breaks things it is a bit more technical. And who’s got time for that? Just give me a box that screws into the wall or an app that just works. Not too much to ask for.

It’s just like why this thread exists. If IO was truly simple and worked perfectly for everyone it wouldn’t exist.

Are there people that you can pay to set up a HA and GE integration? I’d be willing to pay for someone’s time.

Didn’t even know what an MQTT broker is until very recently. Never used one before.
Didn’t know what home assistant was until a few months ago when started investigating Solar and GivEnergy.

It’s good that home assistant is working and the MQTT broker is working for you. And I understand it’s very powerful stuff but it’d be 100% better if they had a simple phone app or desktop app for less techie people that just worked without having to partition your hard disk, install new programming languages, install ‘containers’, download stuff from random sites, use MQTT brokers, etc. That is probably not in the majority of peoples computer skill sets and will be a bit daunting to do the first time at any age.

Older people have EV’s and panels, batteries as well (probably because they are the only ones with spare cash to buy them right now 😂).

It’s kind of like most automated computer stuff. Once it’s set up and working and you have a solid internet connection it’s fine. But to set it up right initially and then fix it if there is a problem or update that breaks things it is a bit more technical. And who’s got time for that? Just give me a box that screws into the wall or an app that just works. Not too much to ask for.

It’s just like why this thread exists. If IO was truly simple and worked perfectly for everyone it wouldn’t exist.

Are there people that you can pay to set up a HA and GE integration? I’d be willing to pay for someone’s time.
My Parents are well into their 70's. They have solar, batteries, and a tesla with a zappi charger.

Despite using computers daily, facetime, email etc... not a chance they'd be able to get HA setup and running, let alone doing all the integrations needed to make it work with their solar, batteries, car and deal with IO variable charging times. I've not even tried that later, and I work in IT.

Yeah, I think the extra slots are a bit of a blessing and a curse.

Great if you just have an EV but highly complex to work around if you have solar and batteries etc.

A fixed 6hr (or better 7hr 😜) slot would be far simpler to manage for solar + battery people, although less flexible when car is needed at 100%
My highly complex fix for wanting to use an extra slot with solar and batteries, is to adjust the PW reserve to the current SoC so the house usage then pulls from the grid.

@Pete UK - do your inverters/app have a facility to set block discharge user-defined periods?

I am not techy enough to consider Home Assistant (& too busy/lazy to try) so an easy solution to prevent the batteries from draining was to block discharge for the hours 23.30-05.30 and set IO to always be ready by 05.30.

IO schedules are almost always during the six hour off-peak period and on the rare occasions additional slots are given earlier than 23.30 I either set additional temporary block discharge slots to cover this (my inverter permits three schedules, each with variable duration) or just let IO take a small amount from the batteries as each additional slot has never been more than one hour, mostly half an hour.

Here's the last time this happened back in April with IO starting at 11pm, ie just half an hour 'early' so I let it take about 750w total from the inverter batteries which were already full - the little pink peak at 23.00 shows this & then at 23.30 onward you can see that everything else IO is using is from the grid off-peak (I also have a further 9.6kW batteries attached to another downstream inverter so these are unaffected by car charging anyway).

A simple solution that works without intervention by me for almost 100% of the schedules I have been given over the past 11/2 yr since I signed up to IO.

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 16.29.03.png

Last edited:
New IO rates are live,
31.5p / kWh day rate
still 7.5p / kWh off peak

standing charge slightly more expensive at 36.54p / day

If you are still on a fixed IO rate, that means it was probably fixed at 35p/kWh or 39p/kWh peak, you'd better exit it now and switch over to variable IO
Did this today, was very easy, a quick phone call and they sent me a link to “resign up” and it it started showing the new prices in my app straight after

Reactions: MadManMark
@Pete UK - do your inverters/app have a facility to set block discharge user-defined periods?
Yeah they do. That’s not really the problem. It’s the cross charging at random times in the day/ night all the time when there is not Solar for me.

Re: IO 7kW gone in an hour from the batteries that’s like 20% for me. It’s not a big deal if it’s early just before 11:30 - Cos they just charge up in the 6hr window.But more a problem if it’s at 5:00pm or 05:30am for an hour.

I’m sure I’ll figure it out. It’s the low discharge inverter and the cross charging that’s My main task at the moment.

My Parents are well into their 70's. They have solar, batteries, and a tesla with a zappi charger.

Despite using computers daily, facetime, email etc... not a chance they'd be able to get HA setup and running, let alone doing all the integrations needed to make it work with their solar, batteries, car and deal with IO variable charging times. I've not even tried that later, and I work in IT.

I agree 100%

Apologies if this has been asked before but this is very long thread :). I signed up to IO today and am trying it for the first time tonight. Initially, I plugged in my M3 and manually stopped the charging using then Tesla app. However, IO didn't seem to register that I'd plugged in and after about 30 min hadn't generated a charging schedule. So, I repeated the process but allowed IO to take control and it stopped the charge after about 5 min and generated a charging schedule. A few questions come to mind. Can you stop the charge manually and is there minimum time that electrons need to flow so that IO registers a plug-in event? And, a related question, how frequently does IO get data from Tesla cars? I'd wouldn't be too happy with IO allowing charge to flow for more than 20min especially when I'll have a Powerwall in a few months time.

Thanks for any feedback.

Reactions: Avendit and xreyuk