Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
From the page 1 Wiki:
OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off? EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.
I'm charging my car in a inteligent octopus for the first time tonight. I got some schedule slots. The first slot is from 2am to 3am. Does the cheaper energy for the home start at 2am? The last slot is from 7:00 am to 8:00 am. Do I have cheaper energy for my home from 11:30pm to 5:30am or until 8am? or maybe 7am to 8am? Somebody knows?

Last edited:
I'm charging my car in a inteligent octopus for the first time tonight. I got some schedule slots. The first slot is from 2am to 3am. Does the cheaper energy for the home start at 2am? The last slot is from 7:00 am to 8:00 am. Do I have cheaper energy for my home from 11:30pm to 5:30am or until 8am? or maybe 7am to 8am? Somebody knows?
Yes, you get the fixed 2330-0530 PLUS and extras outside of that

…and here’s the definitive response:

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding your tariff and the IO T&C's. I'd be happy to clarify this for you.

An active authorisation means that you have given us permission to integrate with your supported vehicle or charge point and we are able to receive data from it. If we do not receive data from your supported vehicle or charge point for a period of more than 30 days, we will assume that you no longer wish to participate in the tariff and we will switch you to one of our fairly priced standard tariffs.

Please note that if you wish to continue with the IO tariff, it is important that you keep your authorisation active by ensuring that your supported vehicle or charge point is connected to our system and transmitting data to us.
So, I queried what was meant by “active authorisation”:

I’m still a little in the dark!
Does the requirement to have an active data connection to the charger or vehicle mean that it has to actually provide a charge at least once in a 30 day period?
Or,
that a data connection just needs to be maintained even if no vehicle actually charges during a 30 day period.

here’s the reply:

I am querying this with out smart tariff team, as I do not want to mis advise you on this. As soon as they get back to me I will let you know.

Muddy waters… 😂

• Informative
Reactions: petit_bateau
Does anyone know how often Octopus change their IO prices? Just before the end of July I was offered IO at a certain rate as my GO was due to end mid August. I didn’t go for it at that point as it was no different tariff wise from my GO. Since then it has come down about 4p pkwh but as I can wait until 1st August I might do that if there’s a chance it’ll come down again?

Does the requirement to have an active data connection to the charger or vehicle mean that it has to actually provide a charge at least once in a 30 day period?
Or,
that a data connection just needs to be maintained even if no vehicle actually charges during a 30 day period.

here’s the reply:

I am querying this with out smart tariff team, as I do not want to mis advise you on this. As soon as they get back to me I will let you know.

Muddy waters… 😂
Their wording to me sounds like the vehicle merely needs to be active on the account. In my case, my vehicle has been on the account the whole time, however I’ve had Smart Charge disabled since the beginning of April. Octopus haven’t been in touch, so far…

Reactions: Dilly
Their wording to me sounds like the vehicle merely needs to be active on the account. In my case, my vehicle has been on the account the whole time, however I’ve had Smart Charge disabled since the beginning of April. Octopus haven’t been in touch, so far…
I can't help feeling that that defeats the spirit of the tariff.
I think they're probably taking a light-touch approach ether because the tariff is relatively new, the conditions aren't very clear (as seems to be the case here) or because they lack the resources to enforce the finer points but I'm not sure how long that'll go on for...

I can't help feeling that that defeats the spirit of the tariff.
I think they're probably taking a light-touch approach ether because the tariff is relatively new, the conditions aren't very clear (as seems to be the case here) or because they lack the resources to enforce the finer points but I'm not sure how long that'll go on for...
Indeed. The idea of the tariff is to control charging. I’d imagine eventually, or if too many people take the mick, they will clamp down with dodgy behaviour.

It could also be that they’ve seen my car hasn’t been home since the beginning of April and therefore isn’t really in a position to smart charge. What the IO people are up to is likely only known to them. I very much doubt the tech support lot have any clue as to the inner policies of the tariff. Though at the very least I’m guessing it throws up a flag if there is no car on the system at all.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Does anyone know how often Octopus change their IO prices? Just before the end of July I was offered IO at a certain rate as my GO was due to end mid August. I didn’t go for it at that point as it was no different tariff wise from my GO. Since then it has come down about 4p pkwh but as I can wait until 1st August I might do that if there’s a chance it’ll come down again?

It’s now a variable tariff so will make no difference whether you wait or not

Reactions: Chris CG and WllXM
These past few days, Tracker and Agile are incredibly cheap. Tracker was at 7.5p for the full day yesterday. Agile had and still has today lots of slots where they are in negative pricing (i.e. you get paid for using electricity).
That’s probably to do with the current high winds

Worth looking and anticipating what the rates will be for the next few days to see what better suits your needs, as IO remains at 31p day rate.

Or,

here’s the reply:

Muddy waters… 😂
I might be wrong, but I think it's quite straightforward.

If you've ever integrated your car with another service or app, home assistant, teslamte, teslafi, texlabs etc. etc... you'll see all the info that they can query from the car.

I'd assume (since Tesla don't have any granular controls) that this info is available to Octopus 24/7, and that they can poll the car for that info 24/7.

That's what they can do. I very much doubt they bother, albeit they may gather some "stats" for research/marketing, such as car make/model, age, mileage, range etc.

So when they say active authorisation, I suspect this simply means you've not changed your Tesla details/API keys expired such that they can no longer read these. And my reading of the 30 days is that's how long you have to fix it if they do expire/change. As to charging every 30 days, that seems like a wise precaution also.

I know no more than you, the above is just my assumption.

For anyone who has a Zappi and IO I think I have found the method to make it work reliably even though the Zappi is not supported by Octopus.

1. Set Zappi to FAST mode
2. Plug Tesla in and it will start to charge immediately
3. In the Tesla app, tap "Stop Charging"
4. In the Octopus app, set your charge limit (same as the Tesla charge limit) and ready time, and save.

A bit of a faff, but it always seems to work for me. Anyone know a better or different method?

• Informative
Reactions: petit_bateau
For anyone who has a Zappi and IO I think I have found the method to make it work reliably even though the Zappi is not supported by Octopus.

4. In the Octopus app, set your charge limit (same as the Tesla charge limit) and ready time, and save.

A bit of a faff, but it always seems to work for me. Anyone know a better or different method?
This has always been the method. Tesla integration supports any EVSE as long as smart features are disabled. Post #1 of the Wiki.

1. Tesla app set to off peak charging (05.30 if IO) and charge limit
2. Octopus app set to charge limit and time ready by
3. Zappi set to Fast mode
4. Plug in Tesla

Off peak charge setting stops the sometimes long run of peak electric use while IO poles car and sets the plan.

Reactions: tj333

Or,

here’s the reply:

Muddy waters… 😂
…and here is the absolute definitive answer. Charge once a month!

The 'active authorisation" is having your vehicle/charger configured in the Octopus app with Intelligent Octopus, this is where we can see on your account a linked device. If you don't have a device set with our app, we will remove the tariff after 30 days. In addition to this, it's part of the T&Cs that you must smart charge via Intelligent Octopus/our app a minimum of once every 30 days.

…and here is the absolute definitive answer. Charge once a month!

The 'active authorisation" is having your vehicle/charger configured in the Octopus app with Intelligent Octopus, this is where we can see on your account a linked device. If you don't have a device set with our app, we will remove the tariff after 30 days. In addition to this, it's part of the T&Cs that you must smart charge via Intelligent Octopus/our app a minimum of once every 30 days.
So it is not possible to go on a long holiday for more than 30-days, at least not with one's EV car.

(not that it matters to me yet as this tariff is only available for those with an EV car - even though we have 30kWh of storage we'd be happy to use on IO a lot more days of the year than the average EV would participate, including when we are away)

So it is not possible to go on a long holiday for more than 30-days, at least not with one's EV car.

(not that it matters to me yet as this tariff is only available for those with an EV car - even though we have 30kWh of storage we'd be happy to use on IO a lot more days of the year than the average EV would participate, including when we are away)
I would argue that you can as long as you keep the API authorisation active. i.e: Octopus can still poll your vehicle for stats, even if you are away.
You don’t have to plug in at home every 30 days, just make sure the car can still talk to IO servers