Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
The only difference compared to what we did on GO appears to be toggling IO charging on/off for the infrequent car charging we do these days.

I don’t think you’ll need to even do that TBH. Especially if you aren’t plugging the car in every day. (why aren’t you? - not much daily charging needed I presume.)

You can just leave the IO smart charging on.

In my experience (with the car as the IO ‘device’) I’ve found that if the car is plugged in during the day you can just adjust the settings in the Tesla app (amperage and charge to percentage) to get any required excess charge from the solar array (even if it’s higher than the Octopus target ‘charge to’ percentage ~ IO isn’t stopping the Solar charge in the daytime (despite the car being the device). Then if it’s still plugged in overnight and extra is needed to get to a higher car percentage, IO will top it up, or you can just slide the target up a bit in the Tesla (and Octopus) app. If no extra is needed (Octopus target percentage is below current car battery percentage). Then nothing happens and no fiddling needs to be done.

The overnight charge will then either come from 1) surplus in the solar batteries first, then grid or 2) entirely from the grid depending on how you set the battery reserve limits.
ie, if you set the solar battery reserve to 50%, anything above that will come from the batteries, then the rest from the grid, while holding the battery at 50% (or whatever you need to make it to sun up or through the whole day in winter). If you set it to 100% reserve, it all only comes from the grid.

Currently this is working very well. All depends on if you can get a higher export rate than the 7.5p import rate you’d pay for charging the car. From what I’ve read it seems pretty hard to get an export tariff where that’s the case. All the more generous ones seem to come with a lot of caveats. Like being an import customer as well, which is obviously not going to work with IO. Or “not allowed” because it’s ‘grey’ electricity.

I might be teaching you to suck eggs though, so apologies if that’s the case.

Reactions: spon88
Look in the Octopus app.

If it shows you’re on the IO tariff and the device is show as connected in the Octopus app (the car), you’re on IO already and I’d ignore the email. 👍🏻
That's the problem, app shows Go tariff but car is connected and Octopus send through charging schedules and they happen. Octopus have been emailed several times but no reply. I'll call them next week and get them to resolve it there and then

That's the problem, app shows Go tariff but car is connected and Octopus send through charging schedules and they happen. Octopus have been emailed several times but no reply. I'll call them next week and get them to resolve it there and then
We have the same. Switched tariff through the Octopus app on Thursday afternoon. Ran through the steps and have our Model 3 linked in the app. The test charge during setup completed and then it gave a charge schedule for that night, which also completed as expected. The tariff shown in the app still says "Octopus Go" but in all other respects it appears to be functioning on the IO tariff. I plan to give it a couple more days before contacting customer support.

Anyone got a clue what happens with IO if you are charging beyond the 11:30 - 5:30 window?
I was down to 19% last night and I have the car set to 100%. The settings in IO were 100% by 7am. I got a schedule that started at 10pm, but didn't want to risk being charged "peak"rate so throttled back to 60% max.
What would I have been charged for the original full charge?

Anyone got a clue what happens with IO if you are charging beyond the 11:30 - 5:30 window?
I was down to 19% last night and I have the car set to 100%. The settings in IO were 100% by 7am. I got a schedule that started at 10pm, but didn't want to risk being charged "peak"rate so throttled back to 60% max.
What would I have been charged for the original full charge?
You would have been charged at the off-peak rate and the car would have shown 100% or possibly 99% next morning if it had reached the target a few hours before you checked.

If you get a schedule you will always be charged at off-peak rate regardless of what time the slots are, even if the schedule changes overnight. Just keep a screenshot of the schedule you are given and compare with the next Octopus bill (all half hour periods are individually shown as well as a graph showing where peak/off-peak were billed).

I've been using IO since January 2022 and there has never been an IO slot that has been incorrectly billed, regardless of when it was scheduled. I only keep the screenshots until the bill appears just to be sure but it's never been an issue.

Reactions: David T and Planky
You would have been charged at the off-peak rate and the car would have shown 100% or possibly 99% next morning if it had reached the target a few hours before you checked.

If you get a schedule you will always be charged at off-peak rate regardless of what time the slots are, even if the schedule changes overnight. Just keep a screenshot of the schedule you are given and compare with the next Octopus bill (all half hour periods are individually shown as well as a graph showing where peak/off-peak were billed).

I've been using IO since January 2022 and there has never been an IO slot that has been incorrectly billed, regardless of when it was scheduled. I only keep the screenshots until the bill appears just to be sure but it's never been an issue.
That's great then because if I'd let it run as per initial schedule I would have got an 80% charge and about u hours worth all at 7.5 p/kWh 😁

Octopus emailed today saying "Good news: we're increasing the rate you receive for your export from 4.1p/kWh to 15 p/kWh (that means the average person exporting 1,500kWh to the grid will earn over £150 more a year) ... You're an important part of our advances to a zero-carbon future and our latest upgrades mean we’re now able to offer the higher paying Outgoing Octopus to our Intelligent Octopus customers."

And that is good news!

Octopus emailed today saying "Good news: we're increasing the rate you receive for your export from 4.1p/kWh to 15 p/kWh (that means the average person exporting 1,500kWh to the grid will earn over £150 more a year) ... You're an important part of our advances to a zero-carbon future and our latest upgrades mean we’re now able to offer the higher paying Outgoing Octopus to our Intelligent Octopus customers."

And that is good news!
Indeed I got the same email.
Good news and long overdue but I do wonder what the catch is and how long this will last…

Really excited that Octopus are supporting microgenerators. I hope this news convinces just a few more people into home storage and solar.

It's a strong sign Octopus are 100% committed to these smart tariffs as they are not offering the enhanced export tariffs if you are on Go.

So...correct me if I'm wrong here...but I can fill my battery overnight for 7.5p and discharge it to the grid and they'll pay me 15p...sounds like a pretty good deal (I mean it's not gonna pay off the mortgage but...)
Round trip losses probably mean it will cost you the equivalent of around 8.25p and pay you about 13.5p, not including incurring the additional battery cycles. I wouldn't get too excited about it, but ymmv.

Just wanted a quick status check on charger compatibility as the time to (probably) switch to Intelligent Octopus approaches please.

We currently have a Zappi 2 and an old (but working) Rolec "dumb" charger. I'm reading that Zappi isn't yet IO compatible, although close? What's the latest understanding there please?

If the Zappi isn't compatible at the moment, can I simply use the Rolec and let IO work directly with the car? (Model Y).

I was a bit surprised to read about the Zappi incompatibility, so hopefully that's resolved soon.

Thanks for any insights, seems to be quite a lot of conflicting information around this. Cheers.

Just wanted a quick status check on charger compatibility as the time to (probably) switch to Intelligent Octopus approaches please.

We currently have a Zappi 2 and an old (but working) Rolec "dumb" charger. I'm reading that Zappi isn't yet IO compatible, although close? What's the latest understanding there please?

If the Zappi isn't compatible at the moment, can I simply use the Rolec and let IO work directly with the car? (Model Y).

I was a bit surprised to read about the Zappi incompatibility, so hopefully that's resolved soon.

Thanks for any insights, seems to be quite a lot of conflicting information around this. Cheers.
Of course.
Actually you don't need a compatible charger, as Teslas already are compatible cars.

You can leave whatever charger you have in 'dumb' mode and IO will communicate directly with your Model Y to start/stop charging.
IO can only talk to one smart device at a time anyway (being either a compatible smart charger or a compatible make of car).

Check on Intelligent Octopus for the full list

Reactions: spon88
Of course.
Actually you don't need a compatible charger, as Teslas already are compatible cars.

You can leave whatever charger you have in 'dumb' mode and IO will communicate directly with your Model Y to start/stop charging.
IO can only talk to one smart device at a time anyway (being either a compatible smart charger or a compatible make of car).

Check on Intelligent Octopus for the full list
Excellent, many thanks. Researching further it seems that the Zappi left in fast mode will also work, although Octopus support is still advising that the Zappi isn't officially supported yet. I think what they actually mean is that they're still working on the integration whereby it will still work on ECO+ without the need to toggle to fast mode. Looks like I'm covered either way, cheers!

Excellent, many thanks. Researching further it seems that the Zappi left in fast mode will also work, although Octopus support is still advising that the Zappi isn't officially supported yet. I think what they actually mean is that they're still working on the integration whereby it will still work on ECO+ without the need to toggle to fast mode. Looks like I'm covered either way, cheers!
I covered all this in the OP as well

Reactions: btc1k and spon88