Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Powerwall 2s to get 50% power capacity increase with SW update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the last bit I have on this topic is that the label sticker on my Powerwalls explicitly say “AC POWERWALL2.1,5KW”.

I don’t know what models before this one were labeled like, but I do find it interesting that the 5KW is called out beyond the other information in the name. Implying there is a reason to label it this way and to be able to tell it apart from other AC Powerwall v2.1 models.

And the last bit I have on this topic is that the label sticker on my Powerwalls explicitly say “AC POWERWALL2.1,5KW”.

I don’t know what models before this one were labeled like, but I do find it interesting that the 5KW is called out beyond the other information in the name. Implying there is a reason to label it this way and to be able to tell it apart from other AC Powerwall v2.1 models.
I have seen products get new features and new labels, so would not be the first time.

Who knows, yet

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say it is not PW v2.1 that allows for the upgraded capabilities. My PW v2.1 labels for UL and other regulatory certifications shows the “maximum continuous power” and “max supply fault current” at 5.8 and 10 kW respectively.

I don’t see how Tesla could get away with essentially changing these values through software without being afoul of labeling requirements. Unless they are going to also mail a sticker to everyone that upgrades to place on top of the existing label.
And not to mention overheating wires installed for lower current/power and setting off over current protection devices...

How can you tell what version the Powerwall 2s are? I don’t see any label on them nor on the Gateway 2.
The long black plastic cover on the side (the left side as you're looking at the front of the PW, not the side with the power switch) can be removed to expose a label that has the information. At the bottom center of the cover there's a half-circle that you can remove and then pull the entire cover off; it's just held on with friction clips.

OK, I figured out a possible solution that would work even where you have service panel with integrated meter.

SDG&E will sell you a nifty adapter for your main meter called a "Renewable Meter Adapter", specifically designed to avoid costly main service panel upgrades when you main service panel is full or you want enough solar that it would exceed the 120% rule. It is a meter adapter that plugs your main meter socket which allows you to perform the equivalent of a "line side tap". The adapter also holds the main meter and has a conduit fitting for you to feed your solar into.

This particular adapter is rated for 60A, but it's easy to see that a higher power adapter could be designed to do this and function as a grid disconnect in the event of a service outage.

This type of solution would literally be basically plug and play - the only wiring you would need to touch after installing this adapter would be the Powerwall and Solar related hardware.

Biggest challenge I see here is that you need the utility to come out and install the adapter and reinstall the meter, since they are the only people that are supposed to work with the meter.
I wonder if that could have helped my 200 Amp panel that was downrated to 175 for solar instead of having my panel replaced with a new 200 Amp panel.........

Anyone know if this is the same/equivalent as PG&E's GMA (Green Meter Adapter)? Can't seem to find any mention of price or actual installs in PG&E land.

https://www.pge.com/pge_global/comm...tion/greenbook-manual-online/TD-7001B-007.pdf

Edit:
Bummer for those of us with 200A service panels:
The GMA is not allowed on electric meter panels that: ...are rated above 125 amps...
While SDG&E's RMA "Fits on electric meter panels rated up to 200 amps maximum"
Yes, that is basically the same thing. Looks like one of the PG&E supplier's GMA is rated for 80A backfeed max (65A continuous), though PG&E only allows 60A. It is rated for fitting into a 200A panel as it's rated for 200A continuous.
Marwell Part # E/Z 1000-0-R-Solar

Still a far cry from what the current TEG can handle, though (6 Powerwalls x 30A = 180A).

If Tesla really is ONLY selling Solar+PW, it’s odd that they went to the trouble of designing their own PV inverter as opposed to a more integrated PW (PV DC straight into the PW). Makes me think this was a pretty recent business model shift.

As Elon says, the best part is no part. Tesla is all about reducing BOM size and complexity.

Reactions: preilly44
If Tesla really is ONLY selling Solar+PW, it’s odd that they went to the trouble of designing their own PV inverter as opposed to a more integrated PW (PV DC straight into the PW). Makes me think this was a pretty recent business model shift.

As Elon says, the best part is no part. Tesla is all about reducing BOM size and complexity.
That's what they did with Powerwall V1, IIRC. You had to use the Powerwall with a special SolarEdge inverter. Then Tesla opted to make the Powerwall AC coupled with V2. I expect the bundling with Solar+PW to be temporary - on the earnings call Elon said it was more or less temporary due to overwhelming demand for the Powerwall, so it's really just an effort to boost solar sales.

Once battery supply catches up, they'll probably start selling it standalone again. I'm still hoping that they'll start using LiFePo cells and bring the cost down farther. Anything they can do to simplify installation will be a big bonus, too.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say it is not PW v2.1 that allows for the upgraded capabilities. My PW v2.1 labels for UL and other regulatory certifications shows the “maximum continuous power” and “max supply fault current” at 5.8 and 10 kW respectively.

I don’t see how Tesla could get away with essentially changing these values through software without being afoul of labeling requirements. Unless they are going to also mail a sticker to everyone that upgrades to place on top of the existing label.
Likely an updated label is all it will take. I have seen the regulations for aircraft changed with just a little paper for the owner and a new sticker.

Last edited:
Reactions: h2ofun
I just checked and both black stickers on the Powerwall 2s show: ASY,AC POWERWALL2.1,5KW

On the first battery black plastic panel, the latest dot marking is: 7/2020

On the second battery black plastic panel, the latest dot marking is: 12/2020
Given the shortages of Powerwalls, I am intrigued that you have one that apparently sat around for five months.

All the best,

BG

I just checked and both black stickers on the Powerwall 2s show: ASY,AC POWERWALL2.1,5KW

On the first battery black plastic panel, the latest dot marking is: 7/2020

On the second battery black plastic panel, the latest dot marking is: 12/2020
I checked one of my two Powerwalls that were installed Jan 02, 2020 and it is also marked ASY,AC POWERWALL2.1,5KW

Not sure where you see the date.