Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass Mounting- Problem Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking for a good place to mount my EZ Pass on my 2016 Model S. There were multiple threads here about the problems with the metallic windshield on the car. On my car, there is a black painted rectangular area immediately to the right of the rear view mirror mount. I used the smaller EZ Pass issued by the New Jersey EZ Pass Authority. I mounted it with velcro (just in case) as high on the windshield and as close to the mirror mount as possible, so I couldn't see it from the outside of the car. I mounted it vertically with the narrow tapered edge to the right. It works perfectly, and looks OK, too. I am not sure how many Tesla windshields were marketed with this "sweet spot", but this solution worked for me.

IMG_1223.jpg

Doesn't consistently work. After several tickets I Ended up ordering the outside tag and tied it to the front bumper. Jury still out
I'm curious, why would you get a ticket? if you have an EZPass account and if the car's plate is on file with them they usually match the plate to the car, and if the plate isn't matched they send you a violation that you can clear by giving them your account number. I've never had to pay a violation fee.

you can mount the external tag inside the nose cone however that sometimes doesn't work on MTA crossings

I guess in FL we're lucky, when I first picked up my car I didn't even take my Epass with me, I simply logged into the Epass page and added the temp tag to my profile until my plate xfered over, since that day it's always done toll by plate. I checked my Epass account and verified the transponder wasn't even being detected so now it lives in the glovebox.

you can mount the external tag inside the nose cone however that sometimes doesn't work on MTA crossings

I have had an external EZ Pass mounted to my Magneplate license plate bracket, and have had no issues. I'm going to be switching to The Law, so was planning on mounting the external EZ Pass behind the nosecone. I don't anticipate taking the Model S across any MTA crossings, but I also had not heard, before this, of any issues at all concerning mounting the external EZ Pass behind the nosecone. Can you elaborate at all on what you know about people having issues with this please, kort677?

the issue with the external tag mounted behind the nosecone is that at many of the MTA crossings the tag is not read by there and because of the gates at these facilities you cannot just drive through. at the Verrazano Bridge I sat at the booth, backing up traffic until a bridge cop came along, since he couldn't visually see the tag he shook me down for the cash toll, fortunately I had $15 in cash to give him, where it went I'll never know. when I go up to NY I just use the window transponder by holding it in my my hand out the window.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
the issue with the external tag mounted behind the nosecone is that at many of the MTA crossings the tag is not read by there and because of the gates at these facilities you cannot just drive through. at the Verrazano Bridge I sat at the booth, backing up traffic until a bridge cop came along, since he couldn't visually see the tag he shook me down for the cash toll, fortunately I had $15 in cash to give him, where it went I'll never know. when I go up to NY I just use the window transponder by holding it in my my hand out the window.

Thanks. That's interesting. If I start having issues on the Thruway, I guess I'll have to come up with a different solution.

• Disagree
Reactions: Souris
I'm in CA. I mounted mine behind the nose cone. But I have not actually been able to prove that it works. I registered my plate with FastPass before having the transponder and I simply get a charge on my card. Supposedly the thing beeps when I go through. But I can't hear it. And it never beeped when I held it out the window when I first got it. My account doesn't indicate how I am identified.

15 bucks for the VZ Bridge!!!? Yikes. Glad I moved out west. 6 bucks for the Golden Gate (I think) and she's a lot prettier.:rolleyes:

image.jpeg
I just went through this frustration with my new model S 85d. I think there's a lot of misguided discussion about coatings on the windshield.

The problem is the RADAR used for autopilot, not the windshield. The small signal interaction between the transponder and the toll gates is likely overwhelmed by the radar scanner in the car. I doubt that the transponders work in the nose cone, but they definitely don't work anywhere in the windshield reliably in the newest cars.

The solution, as someone else posted, is to put the transponder in the trunk. The radar only points forward. This totally solves the problem.

You can fold down the rear seat so you can hear the confirmation tone from the transponder until you trust it, but the device can be anywhere in the trunk.

I've mounted mindless on the underside of the shelf. The "hook" side of the Velcro sticks to that location nicely. You don't even need tape. It works perfectly.

Great solution - I will have to test this with my California FassPass

View attachment 172673 I just went through this frustration with my new model S 85d. I think there's a lot of misguided discussion about coatings on the windshield. The problem is the RADAR used for autopilot, not the windshield. The small signal interaction between the transponder and the toll gates is likely overwhelmed by the radar scanner in the car. I doubt that the transponders work in the nose cone, but they definitely don't work anywhere in the windshield reliably in the newest cars.

The solution, as someone else posted, is to put the transponder in the trunk. The radar only points forward. This totally solves the problem. You can fold down the rear seat so you can hear the confirmation tone from the transponder until you trust it, but the device can be anywhere in the trunk. I've mounted mindless on the underside of the shelf. The "hook" side of the Velcro sticks to that location nicely. You don't even need tape. It works perfectly.

Reactions: Reekdog
I'm curious, why would you get a ticket? if you have an EZPass account and if the car's plate is on file with them they usually match the plate to the car, and if the plate isn't matched they send you a violation that you can clear by giving them your account number. I've never had to pay a violation fee.

I got the ticket(s) because I had not registered the temporary plate with ez pass. I was waiting for the permanent one.

I recently had to have my windshield replaced ... probably a small pebble caused a small fracture off to the side and there was a 6 inch long crack extending from the edge of the windshield :(
The new windshield doesn't have the black area anymore to the right of the rear view mirror mount. Holding my FasTrak pass there doesn't seem to work. Opening the pano roof is impractical and didn't work once. So I'm going to try the Velcro mount under the rear window parcel shelf as suggested. It really sticks there well and really well hidden. Hope it works crossing the Dumbarton next time. $15 for a bridge crossing is highway robbery. We in the SF Bay Area complain about the $6 fee for the GG bridge. We don't know how good we have it I guess.

• Helpful
Reactions: mileszat
I guess in FL we're lucky, when I first picked up my car I didn't even take my Epass with me, I simply logged into the Epass page and added the temp tag to my profile until my plate xfered over, since that day it's always done toll by plate. I checked my Epass account and verified the transponder wasn't even being detected so now it lives in the glovebox.

Exactly what I did and never an issue.

$15 for a bridge crossing is highway robbery. We in the SF Bay Area complain about the $6 fee for the GG bridge. We don't know how good we have it I guess.

I just want to point out that the $15 kort677 was a "roundtrip" toll. The main crossings into NYC, like the George Washington Bridge, etc., charge double the toll on the way in, and no toll on the way out.

Edit: I just looked up the toll for the Golden Gate bridge, and apparently it is also collected going in one direction only, so perhaps the point I made was already understood.