Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F-150 Ford Lightning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) Tesla, unlike Ford, controls its charging infrastructure and Tesla IS planning modifications to enable more towing vehicles to have drive-through charging ability. EA may not care at all if the they have no drive-through capable stations within 100 miles radius or so.
At one point I had visited most of the superchargers in New England. You want to know how many were drive through?

One. Yes, one, in Berlin, VT.

Some are "single sided" but in the middle of a lot (West Lebanon, NH, for example), so you could park perpendicular on the "wrong side" and still charge without your trailer ICE'ing the other spots, but those aren't common either. Most are along a curb at the edge of the parking lot.

Now granted, they've built a lot more recently in NE that I haven't visited, but I've followed the construction photos on this site. I can't think of any other in this region that are drive-through.

So no, I don't agree that Tesla is all that worried about people towing trailers.

Plus, let's face it, if you have any experience towing a trailer, dropping and re-connecting is maybe 10 min max, solo and without a backup camera or co-pilot to help hitch back up. With a modern vehicle's backup camera, it's trivial. If someone can't handle dropping and re-connecting their trailer to charge, maybe they should do more local-area towing to get the hang of it before setting out cross-country.

2) Pinto came up when I compared the push of Ford for new vehicles and making ads like "Ford XXX vs. YYY". Also, the Pinto fires story is the story of professional ethics failure by Ford's top management, and Ford's recent claims of superior quality of its vehicles seem to be laughable in retrospect of Ford's history.
  • A fatal design flaw that killed people is completely different than a misplaced charging port. Frankly, it's an insult to the people who died to have even tried to equate the two the first place.
  • The Pinto design was 50 years ago. A lot changes in 50 years.

At one point I had visited most of the superchargers in New England. You want to know how many were drive through?

Some are "single sided" but in the middle of a lot (West Lebanon, NH, for example), so you could park perpendicular on the "wrong side" and still charge without your trailer ICE'ing the other spots, but those aren't common either. Most are along a curb at the edge of the parking lot.

Now granted, they've built a lot more recently in NE that I haven't visited, but I've followed the construction photos on this site. I can't think of any other in this region that are drive-through.

So no, I don't agree that Tesla is all that worried about people towing trailers.

Plus, let's face it, if you have any experience towing a trailer, dropping and re-connecting is maybe 10 min max, solo and without a backup camera or co-pilot to help hitch back up. With a modern vehicle's backup camera, it's trivial. If someone can't handle dropping and re-connecting their trailer to charge, maybe they should do more local-area towing to get the hang of it before setting out cross-country.

• A fatal design flaw that killed people is completely different than a misplaced charging port. Frankly, it's an insult to the people who died to have even tried to equate the two the first place.
Will take time to add those stalls everywhere but Tesla is supposedly working on it.

The problem is NOT Tesla customer care. The problem is that Ford can be worried all year long and get done nothing because Ford has no control over charging infrastructure.

I understand that for some reason you are defending Ford.
1) dead people can't care less about insults.
2) A lot changed in 50 years? Remember Ford and Firestone?

Now this:
40 years ago:
"The biggest automotive recall took place in 1981 when the Ford Motor Company had to recall 21 million vehicles because of a defective parking gear that would allow the transmission to slip into reverse after being shifted into park. "

April 29, 2021 (Mach-E):
"So what happened was I backed in to a parking spot. Then put the car in drive stepped on the pedal and the car went backwards. I stopped thought about what happened put the car back in reverse stepped down and the car went back as expected turned the knob back to drive stepped down and the car went back again luckily for me I didn't hit the car behind me. So at that point I just turned the car off and left. I waited for the car that was behind me to leave that way if my car went backwards again I wouldnt hit it. And I haven't been able to make this happen again."
This has been confirmed by several posters on the MachEForum:

This is a potentially deadly defect of the kind that killed Anton Yelchin and nobody is talking about it.

Now I see pictures like this in the Mach-E, and I really don't understand if Ford's execs have any moral ground to say a wisp about Tesla quality.

1621785921528.png

• Disagree
Reactions: tga
Yup. Its really pathetic when they have to rely on CGI. ;)

Compare this to the Superchargers Tesla has been building and opening recently. If anything, the SC sites are getting larger. This is real; not CGI or future planning depending on how much money EA gets from VW.

Tesla_SC_Firebaugh.jpg

Most EA are not like that, not like on Ford's CGI. Many EA chargers are in Walmart parking lots with no way to park parallel to the charger. The problem is that Ford does not control the charging infrastructure and cannot easily make changes for its vehicles. Tesla HAS supercharger slots for drive-through charging, and Tesla plans to install more of those and more wider and longer charging places for the Cybertruck, which has the charging port close to its tail and accessible for standard superchargers.

Many EA stations are like THIS:

View attachment 664969

If you travel and this is the only type of charger parking in an area on your road trip, then you are pretty much fkuced with your F-150 ... well, unless you park parallel to all chargers blocking all of them. :rolleyes:

Reactions: alexgr
The problem is NOT Tesla customer care. The problem is that Ford can be worried all year long and get done nothing because Ford has no control over charging infrastructure.

I understand that for some reason you are defending Ford.
1) dead people can't care less about insults.
2) A lot changed in 50 years? Remember Ford and Firestone?
You asserted that the charging experience while towing will be sooo much better for Tesla owners at superchargers than for F150 owners at other (non-Ford owned) charging stations. So far Tesla's actions speak louder than their words on this.

I'm not defending Ford per se, just questioning your rabid anti-Ford agenda.

"Dead people can't care less about insults." Wow. Just wow. Clearly you don't care about their surviving friends and family members, either. I still stand by my assertion that it was crass and tacky to equate charging inconveniences with a fatal design flaw.

Oh big deal, a plastic shifter knob cracked. You want to compare quality? What about my $600 out of pocket eMMC repair (that Tesla won't reimburse) because of a conscious penny-pinching decision to use a cheap consumer grade flash part? Wheel bearing replacements earlier than any other car I've owned (including ones I've tracked, hard). Motor and battery replacements? Tesla's quality story isn't all that rosy, either. I guess you don't own an older, high mileage Tesla.

I'm done. You can have the last word, if that's important to you.

Reactions: SmartElectric
You asserted that the charging experience while towing will be sooo much better for Tesla owners at superchargers than for F150 owners at other (non-Ford owned) charging stations. So far Tesla's actions speak louder than their words on this.
No, I was questioning F-150 EV charging at non drive-through EA stations. That's it. Regarding towing and overall charging infrastructure, Tesla is most flexible as it controls charging, that's all I said.

I'm not defending Ford per se, just questioning your rabid anti-Ford agenda.
Yes, you are posting anti-Tesla FUD and defending Ford, how about this?

"Dead people can't care less about insults." Wow. Just wow. Clearly you don't care about their surviving friends and family members, either. I still stand by my assertion that it was crass and tacky to equate charging inconveniences with a fatal design flaw.
It is a classic straw man argument that you are trying to pull off as nowhere I equated charging inconveniences with fatal design flaws.
And no, I don't can about friends and families of deceased people. I can sympathize with them, but you can't CARE about everyone who's died and all their friends and relative. It's a red herring argument.
Oh big deal, a plastic shifter knob cracked.
Now you're definitely biased defending Ford.

You want to compare quality? What about my $600 out of pocket eMMC repair (that Tesla won't reimburse) because of a conscious penny-pinching decision to use a cheap consumer grade flash part?
I understand that your car was outside warranty by the time of eMMC repair, right? $hit happens, and $600 is pretty typically amount of pay for $hit happening with any other make. Sorry for your loss.

Wheel bearing replacements earlier than any other car I've owned (including ones I've tracked, hard).
I had to replace wheel bearings on my Honda Accord at 36k, just outside the warranty period. If that were Tesla, it would still be under warranty.

Motor and battery replacements? Tesla's quality story isn't all that rosy, either. I guess you don't own an older, high mileage Tesla.
When you own ANY older high mileage vehicle, it is expected to run into expensive problems. I sold my Camry with 170k when the engine and transmission started to leak oil for $2300. I junked my Mazda 626 with Ford's failed transmission at about 130k. Tesla will run into issues too, and I have no rosy glasses about that. Good news about any Tesla and most EVs generally is that replacing a motor or a battery can be less expensive than replacing an engine and transmission on an ICE car, and Tesla should be "like new" after that replacement.
I'm done. You can have the last word, if that's important to you.
I hope not. It is just hard to understand where this is your end-of-life note or the life threat. Either way - pathetic.

The President went to the factory and praised the Chevrolet Volt ("When I leave office, I'll buy one of these!").
That didn't go over as well as expected. It was great car, but that is not enough.
Tesla's big advantage over the rest of the EV industry is the Tesla brand. Ford, GM, VW, Toyota, et al, will have a difficult time establishing themselves as a 'sexy' EV maker. If they were wise, they would create new brands for their EV products, but nope.
That is literally the dumbest thing I heard in the last 20 min. Ford = Truck. F150 is the #selling vehicle in the US thus they own the word truck. I’m not even a truck guy and I get that. Mic drop

Me thinks you live in a (very small) Tesla bubble if you think Ford will struggle vs anybody SELLING the lightning. Now will they struggle keeping up with demand due to limited battery supply… perhaps. But truck people buying an EV truck are clearly going to go for the lightning first. Basic design features (eg traditional bed and side layout) means people can likely use existing or similar accessories - huge for those that have fleets. Not dissing Rivian or Tesla as they each have their place but just like the Hummer is designed for a very specific demographic (eg ballers) the lightning is the first truck designed for the masses.

battery supply will be the only issue though…

That is literally the dumbest thing I heard in the last 20 min. Ford = Truck. F150 is the #selling vehicle in the US thus they own the word truck. I’m not even a truck guy and I get that. Mic drop

Me thinks you live in a (very small) Tesla bubble if you think Ford will struggle vs anybody SELLING the lightning. Now will they struggle keeping up with demand due to limited battery supply… perhaps. But truck people buying an EV truck are clearly going to go for the lightning first. Basic design features (eg traditional bed and side layout) means people can likely use existing or similar accessories - huge for those that have fleets. Not dissing Rivian or Tesla as they each have their place but just like the Hummer is designed for a very specific demographic (eg ballers) the lightning is the first truck designed for the masses.

battery supply will be the only issue though…
People who are F-150 buyers will be less than thrilled to buy an EV truck. You clearly underestimate the intelligence of truck buyers.

People who are F-150 buyers will be less than thrilled to buy an EV truck. You clearly underestimate the intelligence of truck buyers.
Interesting. So who do you think Ford is targeting with the Lightning? I’m legitimately curious what you mean when you say F-150 buyers will not be thrilled. Is there some cohort of consumers out there that have always wanted a truck but never bought one so to no EV options? I seriously doubt that. Thus Ford - a company by all objective measures fully understands what truck buyers want- likely know who their target customer is (ie truck buyers).

I’m legitimately curious what you mean when you say F-150 buyers will not be thrilled. Is there some cohort of consumers out there that have always wanted a truck but never bought one so to no EV options? I seriously doubt that. Thus Ford - a company by all objective measures fully understands what truck buyers want- likely know who their target customer is (ie truck buyers).
Typical truck buyers will tell you they need to fill up the truck in 10 minutes, not in 50 minutes, and that batteries contain a dangerous acid. Looking at the Mach-E, they ask when the gasoline version comes to the market. If Ford understands their core customer base, they know they will not not be lining up to get an EV version of the F-150. It is a marketing trick: "we know what truck drivers need; we build the best truck for truck drivers" when they are really saying: "Non-truck drivers and pleasure truck-drivers come check out a cool twack we got for ya"

My points are these:
1) Tesla, unlike Ford, controls its charging infrastructure and Tesla IS planning modifications to enable more towing vehicles to have drive-through charging ability. EA may not care at all if the they have no drive-through capable stations within 100 miles radius or so.

2) Pinto came up when I compared the push of Ford for new vehicles and making ads like "Ford XXX vs. YYY". Also, the Pinto fires story is the story of professional ethics failure by Ford's top management, and Ford's recent claims of superior quality of its vehicles seem to be laughable in retrospect of Ford's history.

Really? Pinto? My god that was 40 years go. None of those people are there and the lessons were learned.

Wow, so this thread certainly devolved since I last looked at it a few days ago (at least I think it's the same thread after a name change...)

In any case, here's a long form interview Farley did with the Verge.

A lot of market-speak (the lack of which I find very refreshing in Elon's interviews), but some interesting nuggets... and some direct Tesla comparison discussion.

I did do a double-take at his "We have 60,000 charge plugs, more than anybody" comment... so I looked up the "Ford Pass Charging network"... it's a mish-mash of dealer charging locations, EV America sites, etc... not likely going to be a great experience at this point...

Just had this conversation with someone poo-pooing EV's because we're a boating family. If backing a trailer concerns you.... you definitely should not be towing into a parking lot or boat ramp or other place full of cars. Go practice.

It really isn't that hard AT ALL. An extra hassle? yeah, maybe, but so what.