Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F-150 Ford Lightning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado are essentially the same. 850,000 were sold last year in US alone.
The Ford F-series was 790,000 in the same year (2020). I am a "truck guy" dating back to the '70's. For the first time in my adult life, I'm truckless. I'm using an MX instead, which is coming up short.

You have no grasp of the resistance that exists against EV adoption in any sector, much less with trucks.

Unless Ford can make the F-150 EV exciting, it won't sell to the masses, and it will really struggle with commercial buyers.
Public agencies in CA are required to go all electric in the next decade. the F150 lightning checks most of the boxes. It "might" be a huge seller in those California markets.

Hmm...full size spare...NICE!

akrales_20210526_4595_0035.jpg

I'm not a "truck guy." I've never owned one. I'm an engineer, but not the "on-the-job-site" kind. I work in an office. I wear dress clothes every day.

But I think this truck is *really* cool... I'm probably not going to buy one. I'm not a truck guy... but if I were going to get a truck, this one would be at the top of my list. Props to Ford for this.

I'm not a "truck guy." I've never owned one. I'm an engineer, but not the "on-the-job-site" kind. I work in an office. I wear dress clothes every day.

But I think this truck is *really* cool... I'm probably not going to buy one. I'm not a truck guy... but if I were going to get a truck, this one would be at the top of my list. Props to Ford for this.
Agreed. I was just as impressed with this as with the Mach E. Ford's recent shift in direction has been pretty incredible. I bought in to the stock after the Mach E release and though I recently took some profits after this huge run up, I plan to buy a lot of it back when it corrects again. From my perspective, they are Tesla's only competition at the moment (Audi/Porsche way too expensive to be a threat).

Agreed. I was just as impressed with this as with the Mach E. Ford's recent shift in direction has been pretty incredible. I bought in to the stock after the Mach E release and though I recently took some profits after this huge run up, I plan to buy a lot of it back when it corrects again. From my perspective, they are Tesla's only competition at the moment (Audi/Porsche way too expensive to be a threat).

Audi/Porsche is part of the VW Group. Which sells a $40k ID.4 in America and will soon sell a $35k Made in Tennessee ID.4 in America. And manufacture 240 GWh per year of batteries by 2030.

Ford will, under license from VW, build 600k/year MEB BEV VW platform cars in Europe by 2030. Ford just approved two battery factories in North America for a total capacity of 60 GWh per year.

GM has almost finished building its first 30 GWh in Ohio. Will break ground on a 35 GWh factory in Tennessee soon. And approved two additional battery factories in the USA this week.

As of right now VW market cap is $159B, GM $90B and Ford $60B.

Looks great to me with options, right in line with their ICE counterparts. It's going to be a great Truck and will probably see many of them on the road.

The difference is you can get a 300+ mile range ICE Supercrew F-150 for $37k. Which is significantly less than Lightning with extended battery pack's $60k. You have to drive a lot to make up the difference in fuel and maintenance. Especially if you live in the middle of the USA where liquid fuel is cheap.

If 80k Lightings per year vs 900k ICE F-Series is many then yes you will see many on the road.

BTW By next Spring the practice of significant discounts on ICE F-150s will likely resume while there will almost assuredly be markups on the MSRP of the Lightning.

The difference is you can get a 300+ mile range ICE Supercrew F-150 for $37k. Which is significantly less than Lightning with extended battery pack's $60k. You have to drive a lot to make up the difference in fuel and maintenance. Especially if you live in the middle of the USA where liquid fuel is cheap.

If 80k Lightings per year vs 900k ICE F-Series is many then yes you will see many on the road.

BTW By next Spring the practice of significant discounts on ICE F-150s will likely resume while there will almost assuredly be markups on the MSRP of the Lightning.

Yeah well the same can be said for any ICE vs EV to be honest.

ICE F150s will most like not be discounted any time soon. There is practically no inventory and 2022’s will be going up in price. As of now Ford is only taking custom orders for the F150

ICE F150s will most like not be discounted any time soon. There is practically no inventory and 2022’s will be going up in price. As of now Ford is only taking custom orders for the F150

Teslas have prices/ranges directly comparable to the ICE competition. Merc/BMW/Audi/Cadillacs etc don't have Prius ranges either.

Spring 22 won't be the same as Summer 21 for the F Series market. Things will likely get back to normal with cash on the hood for most trucks.

Reactions: 30seconds

FWIW, a dealer just north of Philadelphia has already committed to MSRP - 3%, plus a doc fee of $400-ish. I'm sure other high volume dealers will make similar deals. There were 2 Chevy dealers in LA that were offering big discounts on Volts and shipping to buyers around the US, just to hit volume targets.

• Informative
Reactions: El joe
The supone issues with the F150 have been going on since November 2020 which is why in Spring 2021 Ford put priority in Customer Ordered F150s(guaranteed sale with no markups). If anything Tesla is showing these manufacturers the proper way to sale cars.

I'd go with Cybertruck all the way because Tesla makes proven reliable EVs for many years now. I mean the powertrain and software, not panel gaps. Looking at the Mach-E electrical nightmare experience of new happy customers (even though it the Mach-E is potentially an okay CUV) , my mistrust in Ford just grew stronger.
Haha talk to the early Tesla adopters. Specially those battery gate ones.

"Flipping through the screens I noticed that one screen had an estimated driving range display that read an incredible 472 miles. I assume that Ford had removed the range estimate from both the driver's and center display because neither of the F-150 Lightning I saw had any range estimate on any screen. However, scrolling through the controls I found one screen where the range estimate was staring right at me.

472 miles! Could it be? Nah...or could it? "

"Flipping through the screens I noticed that one screen had an estimated driving range display that read an incredible 472 miles. I assume that Ford had removed the range estimate from both the driver's and center display because neither of the F-150 Lightning I saw had any range estimate on any screen. However, scrolling through the controls I found one screen where the range estimate was staring right at me.

472 miles! Could it be? Nah...or could it? "

It can be in certain situations. I would not be surprised.

They have a Lightning at the Ford tent/booth at AirVenture in Oshkosh, WI. Roped off a little, so you can’t really see more details than have already been released. I didn’t hear if this is a mock-up or a drivable prototype.

They also have a bunch of Mach-E there to give people launches in an EV.