Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F-150 Ford Lightning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of 10k left on the table. This is not what the EV market needs now. I think Ford is doing the right thing, but the dealers are handing out giant spoons of fish oil. You are going to like it if you want the truck. This guy didn't want the medicine.

Just as Ford Motor Co. is demanding its dealers nationwide not jack up prices on the much-anticipated F-150 Lightning pickup truck, potential buyers are reacting to some dealers saying big markups are automatic.

Chris Chase, a construction project manager from Massachusetts, told the Free Press he was stunned when he read an email dated Jan. 3 from Herb Chambers Ford of Braintree in greater Boston that said the all-electric pickups would include a $10,000 price hike over and above what the company thinks is a fair profit for the dealer.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and KJD
Speaking of 10k left on the table. This is not what the EV market needs now. I think Ford is doing the right thing, but the dealers are handing out giant spoons of fish oil. You are going to like it if you want the truck. This guy didn't want the medicine.

Just as Ford Motor Co. is demanding its dealers nationwide not jack up prices on the much-anticipated F-150 Lightning pickup truck, potential buyers are reacting to some dealers saying big markups are automatic.

Chris Chase, a construction project manager from Massachusetts, told the Free Press he was stunned when he read an email dated Jan. 3 from Herb Chambers Ford of Braintree in greater Boston that said the all-electric pickups would include a $10,000 price hike over and above what the company thinks is a fair profit for the dealer.
This is a killer for adoption of the lightning, one of many reasons I will not buy one.

Reactions: Cal1 and KJD
Preordering in advance and waiting months or longer just to be told of a price markup - and a BIG $10k markup at that - is really messed up. That needs to be up front when you order / reserve, so you can take your business elsewhere from the start.

These dealers are going to ruin the brands they represent if their automakers don't ramp up production to a level where nobody puts up with this BS.

Reactions: DblOSmith
This is a killer for adoption of the lightning, one of many reasons I will not buy one.

Yep and unfortunately that's the way traditional stealerships work. I'm on the waitlist for both Lighting and Silverado EVs and both Ford and Chevy dealership are falling over themselves with the opportunity to mark them up. The Ford sales manager admitted they expect a bunch to drop off the waitlist once it's time to plunk down a real deposit. Ford will break up their Lightning waitlist in 6 groups (waves) and it's starting any day now and be complete in 2 months or so. Pretty quickly Ford will learn know how serious Lightning customers are.

You all should take a spin in the Refresh X Waiting Room thread....

A couple months ago, Tesla called a bunch of X reservation holders with 5 and 7 seat orders (Model X has the option of 5, 6, or 7 seats - 5 is included, 7 is a$3,500 upcharge, and 6 is a $6,500 upcharge) and told them that if they pay for the upgrade to 6 seats that they would get their X in 2021 (literally exactly what you all are accusing these horrible dealerships of doing - demanding cash to get your vehicle sooner). Many people did so. Of course, Tesla did not deliver these cars on time.

Now, Tesla has eliminated the 5 and 7 seat options for the Model X Plaid. They are now upgrading 5 and 7 seat Plaid order holders to 6 seats for FREE. So Tesla has double-screwed the above people who had 5/7 configs that paid to upgrade to a config they didn't want and were promised they would get their car in 2021, only to not get their cars. Now they're upgrading 5/7 Plaids to 6 seats for free while everyone else had to pay.

So yeah, dealers can suck. But Tesla can certainly suck it up w/ the best of them....

As for me, I have in writing from my dealer that they will charge me MSRP. Now, will they bump my order behind someone paying a markup? I don't really have a way of knowing that. But I do know what I'm paying.

You all should take a spin in the Refresh X Waiting Room thread....

A couple months ago, Tesla called a bunch of X reservation holders with 5 and 7 seat orders (Model X has the option of 5, 6, or 7 seats - 5 is included, 7 is a$3,500 upcharge, and 6 is a $6,500 upcharge) and told them that if they pay for the upgrade to 6 seats that they would get their X in 2021 (literally exactly what you all are accusing these horrible dealerships of doing - demanding cash to get your vehicle sooner). Many people did so. Of course, Tesla did not deliver these cars on time.

Now, Tesla has eliminated the 5 and 7 seat options for the Model X Plaid. They are now upgrading 5 and 7 seat Plaid order holders to 6 seats for FREE. So Tesla has double-screwed the above people who had 5/7 configs that paid to upgrade to a config they didn't want and were promised they would get their car in 2021, only to not get their cars. Now they're upgrading 5/7 Plaids to 6 seats for free while everyone else had to pay.

So yeah, dealers can suck. But Tesla can certainly suck it up w/ the best of them....

As for me, I have in writing from my dealer that they will charge me MSRP. Now, will they bump my order behind someone paying a markup? I don't really have a way of knowing that. But I do know what I'm paying.
Paying more for something more (ordered price) and others getting it for free is different than paying more than ordered price for nothing more. Not ideal either but not quite as bad as the stealerships.

But Tesla should refund the difference.

Lots of "additional dealer markup" handwringing here. Meanwhile, if you go to the Lighting forum (I'm not sure it's OK to post a link here), there's a 27 page thread on what various dealers around the country have agreed to charge, color coded and listed by state. Find one that doesn't charge a markup, and get it all in writing.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Good riddance to dealerships. I hope Ford customers revolt en masse. Between legacy auto slow EV adoption and dealer tomfoolery, their collapse may be sooner than I thought.

BTW, where are the class action lawsuits? I've heard a reports that some dealerships have said customers have to accept the markup and if they cancel, they lose their deposit. ...and if they pay the markup then cancel, they lose everything. That sounds like breach of contract... extortion? Some kind of usury perhaps?

Good riddance to dealerships. I hope Ford customers revolt en masse. Between legacy auto slow EV adoption and dealer tomfoolery, their collapse may be sooner than I thought.

BTW, where are the class action lawsuits? I've heard a reports that some dealerships have said customers have to accept the markup and if they cancel, they lose their deposit. ...and if they pay the markup then cancel, they lose everything. That sounds like breach of contract... extortion? Some kind of usury perhaps?
I'm not surprised at the greed and certainly not shocked. Have you recently tried to buy either a Sony PlayStation 5 or a high end Nvidia video card? Sellers are gouging buyers because the supply is so limited. It's the nature of our economic system.

I'm not surprised at the greed and certainly not shocked. Have you recently tried to buy either a Sony PlayStation 5 or a high end Nvidia video card? Sellers are gouging buyers because the supply is so limited. It's the nature of our economic system.
I mind less that companies are charging more for products before the customer puts money down to buy them, like PS5 and video cards. I think it's outrageous that after someone has already put a deposit down, they jack up the price. Two different situations.

Paying more for something more (ordered price) and others getting it for free is different than paying more than ordered price for nothing more. Not ideal either but not quite as bad as the stealerships.

But Tesla should refund the difference.
The initial scam was to get reservation holders to pay $6,500 for a feature they didn't want (so effective "nothing more") purely to get their cars more quickly. This is exactly what dealership markups are. Pay more to get your vehicle more quickly.
I mind less that companies are charging more for products before the customer puts money down to buy them, like PS5 and video cards. I think it's outrageous that after someone has already put a deposit down, they jack up the price. Two different situations.
See my post above. Tesla engages in this behavior too.

ALL corporations exist for one purpose only, and that is to make money. No corporation is your friend or gives 2 craps about you as a person. They only care about keeping you as a customer. So their service will suck as much as it can without losing too many customers.

Bottom line is that you need to protect yourself and not trust a corporation to ever do the right thing.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
The initial scam was to get reservation holders to pay $6,500 for a feature they didn't want (so effective "nothing more") purely to get their cars more quickly. This is exactly what dealership markups are. Pay more to get your vehicle more quickly.

ALL corporations exist for one purpose only, and that is to make money. No corporation is your friend or gives 2 craps about you as a person. They only care about keeping you as a customer. So their service will suck as much as it can without losing too many customers.

Bottom line is that you need to protect yourself and not trust a corporation to ever do the right thing.
Wanted or not, they still got the more seats. So it is “something more.”

But I do agree with you the tactic is crappy if they don’t refund the difference since they offered it for free to others. Especially if they didn’t pick up their cars yet.

Tesla has earlier delivery ETAs for higher trim levels on all their cars. They even show it on the website. I bet a fair number of Model Y buyers have bought MYP over MYLR lately just to get earlier delivery, with the minimal price difference lately. This isn't new for Tesla with the new X, and it seems like a reasonable business decision to prioritize building higher margin trim levels when there's still pent up demand for them.

Has Tesla told the lower trim level X reservation holders that their reservation will be cancelled and they'll need to re-order at the latest prices if they don't change to the higher trim level? That would be messed up in the same manner as dealers waiting for a customer-ordered car to arrive before informing them of a markup / price change. I'm not seeing anything about Tesla doing that though.

Tesla has screwed over reservation holders of cars and trim levels they ended up never building, or putting off for many years (new Roadster, Cybertruck), but that's not what we're talking about here.

Tesla has earlier delivery ETAs for higher trim levels on all their cars. They even show it on the website. I bet a fair number of Model Y buyers have bought MYP over MYLR lately just to get earlier delivery, with the minimal price difference lately. This isn't new for Tesla with the new X, and it seems like a reasonable business decision to prioritize building higher margin trim levels when there's still pent up demand for them.
So, you can read the ongoing saga in the Model X Refresh Waiting Room thread. But in the Fall of 2021, Tesla called a bunch of MX 5 and 7 seat order holders and told them that if they pay $6,500 (or $3,000 if they had a 7 seat order) then Tesla will deliver their cars to them in 2021. Many people did this. Tesla then did not deliver their cars by the end of 2021.

Then in the last week or so, Tesla announces that they will not make 5 or 7 seat Model X Plaids. They are now giving free upgrades to 5 and 7 seat orders to 6 seats. So the people with Plaid orders that took the offer last Fall and paid to upgrade to 6 seats are double-screwed. They paid money for a seating configuration they didn't want on the promise they would get their cars by the end of the year. A promise which Tesla broke. Then they are watching people who said no to Tesla's offer get free upgrades to the 6-seat configuration (which they also don't want but that's beside the point).

This is not simple prioritizing of production and deliveries based on margins, supply, geography, etc. These are specific programs that have the effect of scamming customers for more money since Tesla did not/is not delivering what they said they would.

I'm just pointing out that as bad as (some) dealers are, it's not all rainbows and unicorns over here in Tesla land.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2

Looks like Tesla might be issuing refunds.

Reactions: tm1v2
Looks like Tesla might be issuing refunds.

This is one of the people getting a free upgrade from 5 to 6 seats. Tesla is going to upgrade them now and credit them the $6,500 to make the upgrade free. This person is not one of the people who paid to upgrade to 6 seats with promise of 2021 delivery that never happened.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
This is one of the people getting a free upgrade from 5 to 6 seats. Tesla is going to upgrade them now and credit them the $6,500 to make the upgrade free. This person is not one of the people who paid to upgrade to 6 seats with promise of 2021 delivery that never happened.
There have been cases in the past where Tesla has refunded people in other scenarios. They “might” still do the right thing. We shall see.