Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

False FSD Strikes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will say in my experience I've gotten a strike after the cabin camera inoperative error, and I've gotten a strike when wagging the wheel like normal was literally ignored and requests for turning input kept being requested over and over. I bought this car for Autopilot and autosteer on city streets because no other mfr is this far ahead. I'm disappointed that bugs may have been the major cause of my being booted. I earned a legit strike, and my wife earned a legit one while in the car without me. At least 2, if not 3, strikes were "false" where the car didn't behave as expected.

I will say in my experience I've gotten a strike after the cabin camera inoperative error, and I've gotten a strike when wagging the wheel like normal was literally ignored and requests for turning input kept being requested over and over. I bought this car for Autopilot and autosteer on city streets because no other mfr is this far ahead. I'm disappointed that bugs may have been the major cause of my being booted. I earned a legit strike, and my wife earned a legit one while in the car without me. At least 2, if not 3, strikes were "false" where the car didn't behave as expected.
There definitely seems like a rash of cabin camera faults. Perhaps a bad batch of cars went out. The solution seems to be getting service to replace the cabin camera. As for the steering wheel, if that happens, disengage AP/NoA/FSD Beta to avoid temporary deactivation. Then press the voice button and say "bug report". Open a ticket with service and inform them of the bug report date/time. Hopefully they can find if there is a hardware fault in the wheel.

I don't -want- to leave the beta queue. I wish they'd be clear about how to get back in their good graces, because we who are booted are also not released to get up-to-date without FSD beta capabilities. It'd be great to hear: regain a 90= score for 2-3 weeks to be reinstated or something to that effect. I am hopeful that 10.69 will let us sinners back into the fold.

The new 10.69 is rolling out slowly - it will catch you up to most of the general code. If you absolutely must have the general code, you can send an e-mail to fsdbeta @ tesla.com from the e-mail address associated with your Tesla account asking to be removed from FSD Beta. Send it a few times (2-3 should do it), but don't expect a response. In a few days or possibly a few weeks, your car will suddenly say you have a software update available and it will be the general code version with FSD Beta removed.
He can also just get 5 strikes. Done in 5 minutes!

Reactions: Ramphex
I'm getting this quite often... where it stops recognizing all inputs, wheel torque, volume change, speed change... and often I just have to just take over or disengage with the stalk.
Without cabin camera I only have 3 strikes, and I the wheel nags are way more frequent than if the car has cabin camera.

This is a big problem because I want to pay more attention to the road rather than looking at the screen, and one would think I should be ok as long as I keep some torque on the wheel.
Unfortunately no, because it often stops recognizing wheel input, so I have to constantly look at the screen to make sure it's recognizing my hand on the wheel.

Does anyone know how much time from the "Apply Slight Turning Force to Steering Wheel" message to a forced disengagement/strike?
I'm guessing probably 10-15s
I don't know of you still have this problem. For me it started after 10.69.2 and occurs when the cabin is darker, namely in the evening. I don't even get to see the "Apply slight force" light blue warning. All I get to see is the red warning.

It happens somewhat rarely and very randomly... I had it the other day (Sunday afternoon) on the highway in broad daylight on NoA.
After a few tugs on the wheel and volume changes, I just pushed the lever and disengaged, then re-engaged... just weird when it happens.

You should be applying some torque on the steering BEFORE making the turn. That way, you satisfy the hands on wheel requirement and you won't need to tug the wheel during the turn which is hard to do.

You should always keep your eyes on the road. Don't try to look at the screen to see if the car is visualizing things right. When you look at the screen, the system will count that as you not paying attention and you will get a warning. Second, you should always be putting a little torque on the wheel to satisfy the hands on wheel requirement. If you are getting the blue screen, it means you have already been ignoring several nags to keep your hands on the wheel. Basically, it sounds like you are not satisfying the driver attention requirements so you are getting strikes against you. Keep your hands on the wheel, apply gentle torque and keep your eyes on the road.
That unfortunately is a (moderator edit) reply. We should be able to look at the screen on our car it’s called a dashboard there is information that we need to know and we should also be looking out for pedestrians and looking left and right. Please stop making excuses for the inadequacies of the technology. I totally agree that we cannot test a system that does not allow us to perform normal driving techniques

Last edited by a moderator:
10.6 you still have this problem. For me it started after 10.69.2 and occurs when the cabin is darker, namely in the evening. I don't even get to see the "Apply slight force" light blue warning. All I get to see is the red warning.
same here i got 3 strikes in a row and kicked out of beta for 2nd time ..defiantly is because of tinted windows and having older cabin camera i have a 2019 ..it thinks that you have piece of tape over the camera and without any warning it gave me red steering wheel just sitting at the red light

same here i got 3 strikes in a row and kicked out of beta for 2nd time ..defiantly is because of tinted windows and having older cabin camera i have a 2019 ..it thinks that you have piece of tape over the camera and without any warning it gave me red steering wheel just sitting at the red light
Try switching your monitor to daytime mode and set the brightness down, it should provide enough light to satisfy the camera without blinding you. My windows are quite tinted, but in suburbia there is enough street lamps to keep my camera satisfied.

Try switching your monitor to daytime mode and set the brightness down, it should provide enough light to satisfy the camera without blinding you. My windows are quite tinted, but in suburbia there is enough street lamps to keep my camera satisfied.
Too late for him, man. Out of the program.

I don’t understand why people get one strike and then just continue doing the same thing. I mean, it is just going to happen again!

I got a not-false “pay attention” yesterday because I was making a right turn and was looking to the left extensively (was a long wait). No strike though; I immediately disengaged. The car attention monitor should detect this and have context appropriate responses to where you are looking. Though it is a good idea to look back to the right too occasionally, when making such a turn, so you don’t get surprised by what is in front of you when a window does open, so maybe I should change my habits.

Reactions: Dewg
Very sorry to hear. I agree it is totally frustrating that the system is so flawed. Why did I pay 10k?
It happened again this evening. It was dark with very dark clouds. I do have my Appearance set to Light on my refresh MSLR that did not work on the local roads. After I got back to back red hand "pay attention to the road" I decided not to use it for that trip. On my next trip the minute I engage AP I got the red hand warning. I disengaged because after 5 red hand "pay attention" warning it would give me a strike. I know and got two like that. I cannot use the car with FSDb on local roads when it is darker in the evening even tho the Appearance is set to Light ( similar to Daylight setting for M3/MY) and have 100% light. I sent snapshot to Tesla today and the previous two times. I also emailed [email protected] as suggested by my SC. Nothing yet from Tesla. I am going to see if I can make a service request again this evening with my SC. It is unacceptable. Hope we get some resolution.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I did that as you suggested. Thanks. Did not work this evening. I made sure when it was dark outside that the Appearance is set to Light and the Brightness is set to 100%. Still it gave the red hand "pay attention to road" instantly after i engaged AP. Very frustrating. I had enough with Teslas's stupid FSDb when it is not my problem. I have been supporting this AP and EAP all these years and this is unaccepatable. I have to drive my Outback wiht Eyesight which is superb for Blindsight monitoring too as I could not even see the monitor in the rain when cars were zipping.

I did that as you suggested. Thanks. Did not work this evening. I made sure when it was dark outside that the Appearance is set to Light and the Brightness is set to 100%. Still it gave the red hand "pay attention to road" instantly after i engaged AP. Very frustrating. I had enough with Teslas's stupid FSDb when it is not my problem. I have been supporting this AP and EAP all these years and this is unaccepatable. I have to drive my Outback wiht Eyesight which is superb for Blindsight monitoring too as I could not even see the monitor in the rain when cars were zipping.
Bummer that service won't replace your camera. It's totally a cabin camera issue.

Reactions: bhakan
Too late for him, man. Out of the program.

I don’t understand why people get one strike and then just continue doing the same thing. I mean, it is just going to happen again!

I got a not-false “pay attention” yesterday because I was making a right turn and was looking to the left extensively (was a long wait). No strike though; I immediately disengaged. The car attention monitor should detect this and have context appropriate responses to where you are looking. Though it is a good idea to look back to the right too occasionally, when making such a turn, so you don’t get surprised by what is in front of you when a window does open, so maybe I should change my habits.
When it happens to us there is no warning! The red hand appears instantaneously after I engage the AP. Applying torque, moving the scroll wheels does absolutely nothing and by then in those secs it already screamed at me as if I killed someone with its red death hands. The last two days I drove during the day the car made stupid mistakes and once almost got me into an accident as the car right of me just merges and I disengaged AP and try to move few feet to the left and the truck that was coming so fast in that lane honked and decide to swear. In my congested area, whatever people may think it is not ready for primetime!

Reactions: sleepydoc
I tinted the windshield and that is causing the error..so i'm sure i wont get warranty on it ..i won't even try to warranty cabin camera at this point..i'll purchase one and install it myself it should have the new ir sensor in it .we can blame that d bag that was driving around in the back seat this is not elons fault

When it happens to us there is no warning! The red hand appears instantaneously after I engage the AP. Applying torque, moving the scroll wheels does absolutely nothing and by then in those secs it already screamed at me as if I killed someone with its red death hands. The last two days I drove during the day the car made stupid mistakes and once almost got me into an accident as the car right of me just merges and I disengaged AP and try to move few feet to the left and the truck that was coming so fast in that lane honked and decide to swear. In my congested area, whatever people may think it is not ready for primetime!
Really want to see some videos. Sounds very repeatable! Phone mount or GoPro! For science!

Reactions: clydeiii and bhakan
I tinted the windshield and that is causing the error..so i'm sure i wont get warranty on it ..i won't even try to warranty cabin camera at this point..i'll purchase one and install it myself it should have the new ir sensor in it .we can blame that d bag that was driving around in the back seat this is not elons fault
I don't have any tint on my windshield and the other windows have MD legal limit of 35% and I have 3M Crystalline for tint. As I said I did not have any problems until Sept 19th. Last night I sent an email to the early access with details. I am caught between the SC and early access and no show of love.

I don't have any tint on my windshield and the other windows have MD legal limit of 35% and I have 3M Crystalline for tint. As I said I did not have any problems until Sept 19th. Last night I sent an email to the early access with details. I am caught between the SC and early access and no show of
I was super impressed i got a reply from fsd beta "hi ben want fsd removed ?" and i said no want fsd beta strikes reset to 0. then .2 hrs later reg non-fsd beta in my download que ..lol

So I got another false strike this evening. I was had 2 hands on the wheel, had just scrolled down on the right wheel to prophylactically drop the speed as I was coming into a town. I glaced down at the screen to check my speed, saw it flash blue once and then got the read steering wheel of death. It had been less than 10 seconds since I had adjusted my speed, I had been looking forward the entire time until I checked the speedometer, I had both hands on the wheel, the screen flashed blue once and there were no beeps or any other warning of any kind. WTF????

When I stopped the car, I got a nice messaging saying "telemetry data showed inappropriate use.' Just what the hell am I supposed to do and how was what I was doing inappropriate??? It doesn't even say what's appropriate.